Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 69,428 times

Advertisements

Colorado has a grace period for license plates, that is, say your plates expire the end of September....you have until the end of October to renew them. Does Wyoming have the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I don't think they do. Your plates are due the month that's on the sticker. They levy a fine if you are so many days late. (Can't remember the exact number of days before you are penalized.) But, the police will ticket you the day after your tags expire. Totally different then the grace period for paying without a penalty.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OomCurt View Post
Colorado has a grace period for license plates, that is, say your plates expire the end of September....you have until the end of October to renew them. Does Wyoming have the same thing?
If you are talking about how long you have before you renew your tags without any penalty at the courthouse, there is none, you have as long a grace period as you want. But if you are talking about how long you have before you can be pulled over and ticketed for driving with expired tags, well that can happen the day after they have expired. I have driven with expired tags for a couple of days and didn't realize it and have been very lucky not to get pulled over and ticketed for it. Course most of the times when that has happened it was over a weekend and had no way of going into the courthouse to get new tags. But leagally I should never have been on the streets regardless of what day of the week it was.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The plates expire at the end of the month on the sticker. There is no grace period for renewal, and the county treasurer sends out the renewal notice the month before, so you normally have time to renew by mail or in person.

You can be ticketed for driving with the expired license plate.

However, if you head to the County Treasurer's office with the renewal documents (registration, proof of insurance), they will only charge you the renewal registration fee, which will be dated to the original month of expiration. I go through this every year with certain vehicles that are driven only for 6-8 months each year, and then are parked for the winter months. So I don't bother to renew them or carry insurance until late spring when they are put back into service on the road; I pay my renewal at that time and it's good for the same twelve month period as if I'd renewed the license in the month it expired. There is no penalty for doing this.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Darn, could have swore there was a penalty. I've only been late on re-registering a vehicle one time and was told then that I made it just in time to beat the penalty. Never looked into it cause I had "Beat it". haha

But just did a little research and there is no penalty's listed.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 25,599 times
There is a $25 Per month Late fee for registration renewals after a 30 day grace period... But you can still get pulled over and fined the day after the plate expires.. For instance if your plate expires January 2012.. You have until February 1st, 2012 Before you can get pulled over for expired plates.. but until the last day of February before you will be charged a late fee.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Cordova View Post
There is a $25 Per month Late fee for registration renewals after a 30 day grace period... But you can still get pulled over and fined the day after the plate expires.. For instance if your plate expires January 2012.. You have until February 1st, 2012 Before you can get pulled over for expired plates.. but until the last day of February before you will be charged a late fee.
Where did you find that information? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM

83 posts, read 238,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Cordova View Post
Is this a new law?? I have 2 trailers and a camper that expire in Feb & Mar and I never renew the tags until I use them in the summer; sometimes as late as July. I've never been charged a late fee but maybe I better change my ways.

I can't imagine the state doing that because as long as the rubber is not on the road, they really have to right to tax you. I do know that if it is parked on the street (curb) with expired tags you can be ticketed if law enforcement is having a slow day and wants to wreck your day. Had a neighbor call in my son's broken down vehicle a few years back and the officer told the neighbor that as long as I had current tags on it it could sit there indefinately. I had planned to pull it to a shop that following weekend but it sat there another 3 months with "kiss my ASSet" painted on the windows with shoe polish

Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM

382 posts, read 936,492 times
I agree. No late fee. I renew 30 to 50 registrations a year. Lots late. Never any late fees.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM

400 posts, read 949,217 times
There is no fine for having overdue tags. I had moved and didn't recieve my renewal notice in the mail and didn't pay attention that my tags were expired. I got pulled over 10 months past the month they were due and got a ticket. So I went and got my plates and took my reciept up the court office and showed them that they were paid, no fine. The officer thought it was funny. I jumped out of the car and said really?? Did I buy them and not put it on?? I was extremely overloaded with work etc at the time, clearly... The real down side to this was having to pay for my tags and turn around and pay for them again a few months later :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming