Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

I need to research this a bit more. First, I must correct one point. C. v. viridis is found in Carbon County to the west of the Continental Divide. That's the Rawlins area. The snakes mentioned here aree all found in Montana. Stephens Creek is outside the park. Reese Creek is a boundary, and Rattlesnake Butte is near the boundary. This makes sense as it is adjacent to habitat farther north in Montana.

As far as harmless snakes are concerned, I can find nothing authoratative. The elevation seems too high. I've seen garter snakes at 6800', but no higher. I'll report back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:36 PM

116 posts, read 449,565 times
Found in North America over much of the Great Plains, from southern Canada south through the United States to northern Mexico. In Canada it occurs in Alberta and Saskatchewan; in the USA in eastern Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, extreme eastern Arizona; in Mexico in northern Coahuila and northwestern Chihuahua. Its vertical range from 100 m near the Rio Grande River to over 2,775 m elevation in Wyoming

Prairie Rattlesnakes - Crotalus viridis

That source says over 2775 meters for elevation. That's 9104 feet. Interesting.

Let us not forget, we have eiafjam's eyewitness testimony as to the presence of rattler's in the park. How high up were they, eiafjam?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
Default Elevation 5,259 ft (1,603 m)

Elevation5,259 ft (1,603 m)Elevation5,259 ft (1,603 m)Gardiner, Mt is the northern entrance to Yellowstone park Elevation5,259 ft (1,603 m)

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM

The reason it is called Rattlesnake Butte is obvious. Walk up the road in front of the bunkhouse on NPS property and if you look directly across the Gardiner river that is the Butte. Go there yourself and see.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM

116 posts, read 449,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
The reason it is called Rattlesnake Butte is obvious. Walk up the road in front of the bunkhouse on NPS property and if you look directly across the Gardiner river that is the Butte. Go there yourself and see.
No way. I don't want to get snake-bit.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
I'll take your word for it, thank you.

I lived in San Angelo, TX for a couple years and became friends with a native rancher. He always looked forward to the big rattlesnake hunt they held every spring and urged me to join him. Uhhhhhh, yeah. I'll give that some serious thought. I've never been a fan of any snake, let alone the ones with big fangs and rattles on their tails.

I was just thinking the elevation was higher throughout the park than it actually is. I knew better if I'd have thought about it for a second.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM

not a problem................just one of the many experiences' from my years in Yellowstone.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM

309 posts, read 990,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
According to everything I've read, there are no rattlesnakes in Wyoming west of the Continental Divide.
It's a good thing snakes can't read. I've found them in every state including Alaska (garter snakes in SE). You're in Cody - and that's EAST of the divide!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
There are Prairie Rattlesnakes here. I've seen one on my property.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
Im from illinois but now currently live in mississippi. I hate the bugs and humidity here!! I went out east to the smokies and we loved the mountains! I really want to head out to wyoming or colorado and would love to even live there. But im very curious about the bugs out there. Down here we have cockroaches and i hate it!! I feel like i live in the bug state. I have had a hugh fear of bugs ever since my cat that is always inside got out for a bit and packed a flea in. I have been scared of all bugs fleas, ticks, bed bugs and even lice when my son goes to school. I know its probably a fear but i just wondered if you have much trouble with those. Thanks so much i appriciate any info that may help me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming