Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 34,346 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Cheyenne in a couple of weeks, but finding an apartment is rough from FL. I need to get in contact with a realtor up there to take a look around. But in the mean time, I'd like to get a better idea on renting in Cheyenne. Everyone has been very nice in that area and genuinely warm, so I'm excited to get up there.

I'll be working at Sierra Trading Post on Campstool if that helps for the location.

Is there a particular area of town that's better than the others?

Areas to avoid?

Any certain apartments that have a bad reputation up there?

If at all possible, a "newer" place that accepts dogs would be fantastic.

Thank you so much! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Sierra Trading Post is at the far east end of town, not that Cheyenne is that big. There are a number of apartment buildings not too far from Sierra, on or near Pershing Blvd.

Generally, the area north of the railroad (which biscects Cheyenne from east to west) is considered the better part of town. You can get from any end of Cheyenne to the other within about 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,395 times
Default apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl3 View Post
I'll be moving to Cheyenne in a couple of weeks, but finding an apartment is rough from FL. I need to get in contact with a realtor up there to take a look around. But in the mean time, I'd like to get a better idea on renting in Cheyenne. Everyone has been very nice in that area and genuinely warm, so I'm excited to get up there.

I'll be working at Sierra Trading Post on Campstool if that helps for the location.

Is there a particular area of town that's better than the others?

Areas to avoid?

Any certain apartments that have a bad reputation up there?

If at all possible, a "newer" place that accepts dogs would be fantastic.

Thank you so much! :-D
Try the newspaper. www.wyomingnews.com They usually have rentals in the classifieds. Also cruise the internet checking our local real estate offices that do property management.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM

5 posts, read 22,860 times
Cheyenne is a great place. Check out wyomingrental.com. It has a number of management companies listed.
Don't listen to who ever says north of the tracks are better. That crap started more than 150 years ago when the cattle barons lived north of the tracks and intruders new to the area (the railroaders) lived on the south.
Cheyenne is small enough that you can have a bad apple anywhere at any time, goes for the same about the good. Check with the police department for crime statistics. That is your best bet.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Having a number of friends/neighbors who are deputies or city police, I get an insider view on their perspective of the neighborhoods in Cheyenne.

Listening to them and a quick glance at the "crime blotter" in the papers suggests that lifes' a little rougher on the South Side of town.

Home prices and rents supports that view, too.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 PM

176 posts, read 929,529 times
Define "rougher", would ya?
I talked with your DARE officer a couple of weeks ago- he gave me great insight on the drug/crime issues, and was just the nicest guy ever! His opinion was that crime is pretty low, and that the drug problem, not a huge problem in the past, is actually getting better, at least in the schools.
I'd love to hear your input, too! Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
"rougher" as in it's considered the hardest duty area in town by the police and sheriff's departments.

they get more calls for domestic violence, drug offenses, petty crimes, and so forth than most other areas of town.

I'm only reporting here what my friends serving on the departments tell me is going on in their professional capacity. I'm not judging anybody, either ... and I do know some very nice folks who live in that area, too.

racechick73, if your source is saying that things are getting better ... and, by the measure of many other communities, may not have been all that bad to start with ... then that's a good sign.

but, I'd advise anybody considering living in that area to tour through and compare it to the rest of town ... how people keep their homes/yards, and the overall impression you get when you go through there. Then call your insurance agent and see how they rate the area for risk for your cars and property, real estate. Maybe it will work for you, ecl3 ....

Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I actually did talk to a realtor about it already. (Can you see I'm doing my homework, ha ha?!) She said resale is definetely better on the north side. That's enough for me right there. But with any luck, we'll buy some property out of town and it won't matter.
She did say she used to live on the south side of the tracks, and she never had a problem, but when she moved to the north side, her car got broken into! So I guess ya never know, right?
But it was her opinion that the north side would be more desirable over all. I've done so much research on the area- now we're looking forward to coming down to check it out! Thanks for all the great info.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
racechick,

Just remember the wind is even worse when you live out of town, so think about that when you are looking at a property. The direction of the wind in comparison to the positioning of the house, and if it has a deck you don't want that on the south or west side of your house, you'll never get to use it. If you can find a house west of Cheyenne a lower sitting house is definately going to be better, up against a hill of course even better, but then you have to worry about snow drifts in your driveway. It's amazing the smallest amount of snow can make the biggest drifts. It's kind of a catch 22.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 AM

True- I hadn't thought about the wind issue. Drifts don't bother me; my husband loves any excuse to use his tractor and we have 4WDs.! But it would definetely be nice to get a little protection from the wind, especially in the summer. I'm guesing I'll need to invest in a case of Pledge, too!!
So I'm understanding then that the wind comes from the southeast for the most part. I'll have to talk more with our realtor about that when we come down to find a house. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: