Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,638 times

Advertisements

I'm wrestling with the idea of working in Gillette with Anadarko Petroleum Corp. It's a well paying job, but it's deceiving since I only have Texas to compare the wages vs. cost of living to. I'm originally from Houston, lived in Chicago briefly & now I'm in Corpus Christi, TX. I've always loved small towns & shunned big city life, despised hot/humid weather & wanted a place to live that was great for raising a family. (obviously none of those cities ever satisfied me) I'm only going to have a few days to visit the Gillette area and at least one of those days will be spent with Anadarko meeting with those folks, so is two days enough to get a feel for the area? What else should I know about Gillette that will help me decide if the move is right for me and my family (wife, 2 kids: 2yrs and 7mo.)? I know the housing is tight; is it looking like it will be getting better soon? Where should I go when I visit so I can capture that big picture idea of what it's like there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM

150 posts, read 519,942 times
Hey fellow oil field trash Marathon hand here. houses are hard to find (in any price range) around gillet there is sooo much good paying jobs that you just can not find a house some times.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,973 times
My sister in law works for them in another city. Be sure to ask them about your situation and where they would suggest you look. Some companies are building homes for their employees because the boom is sucking up all of the housing. You might want to live in one of the surounding towns and drive to work.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,483 times
Type Gillette Wyoming into Search and you will bring up quite a bit of info that people who live there have written about the situation in Gillette. Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I've read through all the threads about Gillette on the forum and pretty much get the idea that it's cold, windy, dry and hard to find a home. What I'm trying find out with this thread is, in your eyes, will visiting the area for two days be sufficient or is there more to see that I'd need more time?

I searched for homes on Yahoo! Real Estate and turned up quite a few homes in the 200-299K range. Are these homes selling fast & right at asking price?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,483 times
From what I gather Gillette's housing market is right up there with Rock Springs, houses here in RS have an average selling rate of 3 weeks. So you if you find a house you want in the neighborhood you want you'd better jump on it pretty quick. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
I think you can get a feel for Gillette in a couple of hours, it's not that big.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:43 AM

44 posts, read 137,235 times
If you're willing to drive 67 miles each way, Buffalo is an alternative for housing, but it's a tight market here as well. Atleast it's pretty here though. I've never heard anyone say that they thought Gillette was beautiful. lol

Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Moving to Buffalo

Well as it turned out, the company I interviewed with a month ago gave me the option of taking a position in either Gillette, Casper (Midwest) or Buffalo. We drove to all three cities to check out the areas and interview for the jobs. All three places wanted me to work for them so it was nice to have the pick of them. I gotta say, I didn't care too much for Casper. Maybe I caught it on a bad day, but it just seemed dirty and too much "city" for me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I definitely didn't have the gut feeling that I had when I went to Buffalo. Now that's my idea of an ideal place to raise a family, live, work and play! So much in fact that I accepted the position there and bought a house this past weekend! Should be headed up there in late September to move in and start work. As for Gillette, I thought that was a nice place too. Sure, it wasn't as attractive as Buffalo, but it was a nice place with plenty to do to keep busy. In my opinion it was a far better place than Casper, but far from the qualities that make Buffalo the perfect place to call home.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Oh, and I also stopped in Sheridan for a day. That's another great reason Buffalo is a good place to live - Sheridan is an awesome town too, and it's only about a half-hour away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming