Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I stumbled across this website, during a search for houses for sale in Cody. I spent several hours going through several of the threads and I have to say, I have learned alot. For the most part, everyone has been so helpful to newcomers, such as myself, wanting to move to Wyoming.

I currently live in California (please, no boo's or hisses) and I am a police officer. I will be retiring fairly soon and, like alot of people have stated, want to move somewhere quiet. I've had a lifetime of stress and constantly being busy; hence my desire to move to Wyoming.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and thank everyone for their advice.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Welcome and thank you for your service. California is a tough place to try and enforce the law. The worst part is not the criminals on the street, but instead, the politicians in the offices.

Welcome to Wyoming. Ask away, we're all here to help.

Is Cody the only place you are looking?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 AM

To be honest, I'd prefer Jackson. However, its out of my price range. I really enjoy the mountains, quiet and solitude. From the one time (I know) I've been to Wyoming, Cody was close Yellowstone, which I liked. It also has the basic amenities, etc, however has a low population, which again I like. However, I am open to just about anywhere in the west part of the state. From what I've seen, and please correct me if I am wrong, the east part of the state appears to be rather flat. Any input would be appreciated. I guess I'd be in a slightly better position then most, as I would have my retirement, so really I am not looking for a job. I would, however, like a place that has a college of some sort. Not for any other reason, except to take classes in fun stuff, which I enjoy. Not to get a degree or anything. I just like to learn.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Hello All,

I stumbled across this website, during a search for houses for sale in Cody. I spent several hours going through several of the threads and I have to say, I have learned alot. For the most part, everyone has been so helpful to newcomers, such as myself, wanting to move to Wyoming.

I currently live in California (please, no boo's or hisses) and I am a police officer. I will be retiring fairly soon and, like alot of people have stated, want to move somewhere quiet. I've had a lifetime of stress and constantly being busy; hence my desire to move to Wyoming.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and thank everyone for their advice.

Phil
So happy to hear that you've been pleased with the posts here. I have found the folks on the Wyoming forum to be the best there is! If you are looking for a home that is priced well, brand new, beautifully built, but with a small yard (but the front is soddes with underground sprinklers), they are still building more like my daughter's on her street. You really can't beat a 3 br, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, central air, hardwood floors, beautiful appliances, all for only $185K. If you don't mind a small yard it is an awesome deal. I can get you info if you'd like! By the way, one of their neighbors down the street is a friend who is city policy officer, too!

Last edited by georgiainwyo; 05-10-2010 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: additon

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Lander is a pretty town at the base of the Wind River mountains. It's on the eastern side of the Rockies.. and there's basic shopping stuff in the area (Walmart, Kmart, Pamida, a few grocery stores, etc). Do searches on the forums and you'll find a lot of info.

The Big Horn mountains (from what I glimpsed of them) are pretty too, and they're more in the upper middle of the state- Buffalo, Sheridan. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Numerous places in Wyoming would meet your criteria, in addition to the places others have mentioned ...

the Buffalo to Sheridan corridor, with places like Banner and Story

the Star Valley

Dubois

Laramie, heading to Woods Landing or over by Centennial. Especially attractive with the accessible remoteness, and access to UW or Fort Collins for schools ...

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
• enjoy the mountains, quiet and solitude.
• close (to) Yellowstone, which I liked.
• has the basic amenities, etc, however has a low population
• west part of the state.
• correct me if I am wrong, the east part of the state appears to be rather flat
• a place that has a college of some sort
If a college is important, you might want to take a look at the Wyoming Community College locations.
Colleges | Wyoming Community Colleges (http://www.commission.wcc.edu/colleges.asp - broken link)

Sheridan might be a place to consider. It's in the "east part of the state" but is at the foot of the 13,000' Bighorn Mountains. (That ain't flat!) It has the Northern Wyoming Community College and is a nice town of about 15,000.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 PM

99 posts, read 245,299 times
Welcome to the Wyoming Forum Phil306! I agree totally with the other thread that refers to this as the friendliest Forum in City-Data. As Elk Hunter said, thank you for your service!

Hubby and I bought a few acres in Clark (30 miles north of Cody) last year and will be moving there in about two weeks! It is amazing how many retired police officers call Clark home! Southeast by about 25 miles is Powell, home of Northwest College where my husband plans on taking several fun classes.

There is just something magical about the mountains and the refreshing, peaceful silence in that part of the Big Horn Basin. I hope you will check it out!

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm actually planning on coming out in Novemeber, the first week, for about 10 days. Drive around and see things more clearly; as long as its not snowing too badly. Yeah, I'll still do the touristy stuff, you know Yellowstone, but I am going to look around the places people have told me about on here: Cody, Lander, Star Valley, et al. Thank everyone for their information.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
I'm actually planning on coming out in Novemeber, the first week, for about 10 days. Drive around and see things more clearly; as long as its not snowing too badly. Yeah, I'll still do the touristy stuff, you know Yellowstone, but I am going to look around the places people have told me about on here: Cody, Lander, Star Valley, et al. Thank everyone for their information.
November!!! Sorry, that is a miserable and deadly time of year to be planning a driving tour of Wyoming. Especially if you are not used to driving on snow packed icy roads. You probably won't be able to get into Yellowstone. And some mountain passes will be closed. All-though it is a good time of year to get a realistic look at how harsh the environment can be in Wyoming. I just hope you survive the trip.

Quote:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm
Yellowstone is open every day of the year. Most entrances (except the North and North East entrances) close in November while roads are being prepared for the winter season and again in the late March and early April months to clear the roads for the summer season. Interior park roads are only open to over-snow vehicles during the winter season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming