Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 30,882 times

Advertisements

Well I decided out of all the western states, I picked Wyoming, but now the problem is where? I thought about Cheyenne, but who knows. I would like a small town cause that is what I come from, but some places dont like outsiders. I dont want to move somewhere and have everyone be cold actin to me. In the south most of us are friendly, but I dont know how the west is. Oh, well I could always live out in the country like I am used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
It would help to know more about what you are looking for in a place to live. What attracted you to Cheyenne?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I doubt you'll find many folks in Wyoming that don't like outsiders just because they're outsiders. When I moved to Gillette nearly 40 years ago the population had recently doubled to about 7,000. It's now about 30,000. We're mostly all outsiders, so it's tough to be too hard on ourselves. One of the few genuine natives to the town told me that after two years here I'd become an honorary native. I took it to heart.

While not many towns in the state have grown like Gillette, most have seen substantial growth, and those that haven't probably would like to. It's not like we're bursting at the seams with overcrowding. Pick the town for what it can offer you, then offer it whatever you can.

Why did you pick Wyoming? Like CptnRn suggests, tell us what you're wanting in a community and we can probably steer you towards a few.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM

I picked Wyoming cause I have always wanted to go since I was a little kid. It just calls to me. I want a new challange. Everyone here says that I cant do it cause I am a young single woman, but the hell with them. I am a waitress at a small country resturant and I am savin every dime I can. It is my life and I want a change. I want to be around simple folks who value things like family, friends and good times, not what kind of car you drive, how rich you are or what the latest fashions are. I am a blue jeans, boots, and t-shirt kinda girl. I just want the simple life, and less drama. Hell who knows might even meet me a hardworkin cowboy who shares the same values I do. I aint sure exactly where In Wyoming cause I havent ever been but I would love some suggestions! Life is short and I need to get movin .

Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I would suggest the following based on what you said you wanted. I don't know much about the Western half of the state so I'll just cover the area I know.

Buffalo
Ranchester
Story
Dayton
Wheatland
Woreland
Sundance
Torrington
Newcastle

I would NOT suggest the following. Not because they are bad towns, but they are more fast paced or really growing. No city/town in Wyoming is more then 55,000.

Cheyenne
Casper
Sheridan
Gillette

You can click on any one of those towns and get all the stats and data.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarpeach86 View Post
I picked Wyoming cause I have always wanted to go since I was a little kid. It just calls to me. I want a new challange. Everyone here says that I cant do it cause I am a young single woman, but the hell with them. I am a waitress at a small country resturant and I am savin every dime I can. It is my life and I want a change. I want to be around simple folks who value things like family, friends and good times, not what kind of car you drive, how rich you are or what the latest fashions are. I am a blue jeans, boots, and t-shirt kinda girl. I just want the simple life, and less drama. Hell who knows might even meet me a hardworkin cowboy who shares the same values I do. I aint sure exactly where In Wyoming cause I havent ever been but I would love some suggestions! Life is short and I need to get movin .
Frankly, if you come to wyo assuming we are all 'simple folks' you will be disappointed. We have our share of social problems, there are cliques, people tend to brag up their new cars, houses, boats,ect. More or less than anywhere else, hard to say, but people are people wherever you live...some are friendly,some not. You are welcome to move here if that is what you really want - but maybe you should come check it out first.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Default It's me again- the young woman

Ok I have looked at a few spots but I still dont know where it would be best for someone my age who likes it laid back but every now and then go out on the town. I am lost. All I do is read, and read, and read about wyoming and i still cant deside

Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
SW Georgia... well, familiar with Columbus much (my wife's from Warm Springs, GA ~ I'm from Lander, WY)? That's bigger and has more to do than anywhere in Wyoming. Just to give some perspective.

Another oddity is that in GA, you can drive just a few miles in most any direction and run into another town and have lots of residences along the way.... Wyoming, you're frequently looking at 60 miles, or more, of absolutely nothing (or very large ranches).

I'd guess that Laramie is a good entry point for a young person into Wyoming. Good population of similar aged folks thanks to the University, only an hour away from Ft.Collins, CO, plenty of wide open empty spaces to 'get away'. Kinda a 'kiddie pool' entry.

Be aware that if you're family oriented (lots of generations who were born and died within a few hundred miles of where you grew up, lots of aunts/uncles/cousins/etc...) ~ you may find yourself with a very bad issue of homesickness. It hit my wife hard and took her a Long time to get under control. It's also dang near impossible to get any of her family to come visit out here... we Always have to go back to GA. While that May be her specific family, I've heard/seen similar stories from others with strongly rooted families.

Or you could just dive in head first...find the first available job anywhere in Wyoming and go there.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM

157 posts, read 329,602 times
You probably should explain a few things of about your self in greater detail and what you like to do. Such as what activities you like to do in your spare time? Hobbies? Do you have an occupation, education? What's your tolerance for wind, snow, cold? Do you want to buy a house or rent? How self sufficient are you? What size town do you live in now and what size are you looking for? Do you like to shop, go out dining, hunt, fish, camp, hiking, etc?

I think you need to give more info for WY folks to narrow down what towns and what part of the state you should look at.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
bluecollarpeach86

It would help if you gave us a few more clues, and maybe you should think through the following and anything else that could help with the choice and articulate that. 'Laid-back-bluejean-cafe' stuff works from the Missouri River to Pacific Ocean. Most rural areas ascribe to that.

Farm or Ranch?
Plains or Mtns?
ski? water or snow?
Fish?
Bicycle?
Shopping?
Airport?
Oil or mining town? (these can be spendy (boom or bust)
Want to be near a hub that you can explore other areas? (Laramie, Cody, Newcastle)
Want to be near a place that offers schooling options? (this can be very helpful to get to know folks) I would look to Powell or Torrington
How for is too far to drive to town? (in hrs and in a blizzard / winter...)

RE: NW GA
Rome, Cedartown, Dalton, Ringgold got family and friends there.

I'd jump on a BHM>DEN flight ($84 !!! each way !!!! on SWA)
Southwest Airlines - Select Flight(s)

I get $12-$16 cars from DEN on Priceline. (you want unlimited mileage...)
travel up through Ft Collins to Laramie, then Lander, (side trip to Tetons and Yellowstone, out through the NE entrance (beartooth Highway), over to Powell and Cody, Across 14a to Dayton / Sheridan / Buffalo, on to Sundance and NewCastle (side trip to Black Hills). Down to Torrington, Cheyenne, Greeley, CO and DEN, just in time for your flight home. ~ 10 days would be nice.

I would also fit in SD area around Spearfish / Rapid City as another option. AVOID Sturgis Rally Week 9-16 Aug, it may be a 'turn-off'...

Stay in local private guest homes and camp Free Campgrounds for RVs
PM me if you want a great suggestion on a guest home directory. I sent a gal and her 2 teenage daughters around the USA with my directory, and they loved the security (safety) and the cost ($20), after one night in the guest home they avoided motels for the rest of the trip, and planned it around guest homes. The local people (hosts) really make your trip fun and educational. In Lead, SD, I highly recommend the Manistreet Manor Hostel ($20).

Wherever you go, talk to a lot of people, go to the library and Chamber of Commerce and schools to find safe and interesting folks to chat with. Grocery is a good spot too! (not wal-mart)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming