Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM

58 posts, read 274,552 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I have been looking at numerous areas in the south but seems I have narrowed it down to the Fort Mill SC area. However would love feedback on pros/cons of Fort Mill vs Tega Cay. I realize they are very close to one another but I'm sure there are some differences (ie seems that Fort Mill is a much easier commute to Charlotte than Tega Cay).
If it helps we are spending 300k to 350k, would like a family friendly neighborhood, hope to have some type of downtown near by. We will be visiting there within the next month but thought it may not be a bad idea to seek out just a little more info.

As always--thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,883 times
Since we just had this ice storm, I'm glad I bought in FM since Tega Cay has some serious hills in the area. I wonder how they all got out this morning.

As for the downtown, Fort Mill doesn't have much to it. Closest would be Baxter, or going to Charlotte. We live approx 20-25 minutes to Uptown and love the short commute to get to a Checker's game.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM

396 posts, read 976,974 times
If you're coming to visit - check out the "tour of Fort Mill post" - you can tour all of Fort Mill and Tega Cay in the same day to get a feel. You really can't go wrong with either place. Basically - Tega Cay is Fort Mill, I don't know why it's separated. Here's a link to the post (I hope it works):

//www.city-data.com/forum/york-...counties/99848

Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 22,005 times
Tega Cay has a lot of trails, parks, accesses to Lake Wylie, golf, swim club, sport leagues, etc. If you are an outdoors person, you'll love Tega Cay.
But do check out the taxes for Tega Cay. Also, I think residents pay a lot for water. Some things about TC may be more expensive but the community is small and they have their own police and fire depts.
TC was originally built as a gated community with a polynesian theme. You'll see evidence of that in some of the older homes there as well as the names of the roads. Some of Fort Mill's best schools (they are all good, really) serve Tega Cay. ...There is no "downtown" Tega Cay to speak of. There's a Walmart relatively close by that's in the town limits but not near the dense residential areas around the lake.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM

161 posts, read 529,105 times
There's basically no difference in th ecommute from TC and FM to Charlotte. In your price range, you might consider Baxter, a planned community immediately adjacent to I-77 which has a very nice "downtown" area.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
There's basically no difference in th ecommute from TC and FM to Charlotte. In your price range, you might consider Baxter, a planned community immediately adjacent to I-77 which has a very nice "downtown" area.
If you live deep in TC, it could add another 10 minutes to your commute. I live in Waterstone and can get to 77 much quicker.

Baxter is great for people that want nice houses and a small lot so they don't have to do a lot of maintenance.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM

76 posts, read 158,853 times
Hate to be the one to say so... but Waterstone and Tega Cay are like night and day. Yes, Waterstone (FM) is closer to i-77, which does mean a quicker commute. But Tega Cay is a family-oriented community. When I moved here 5 years ago, I thought I'd stepped back in time a little. No 'downtown'...but Baxter, Rivergate are close, downtown FM is a few more minutes and you can be uptown Charlotte in about 20 minutes from Tega Cay.
FM and TC are both great places to live. What I think is so great about Tega Cay is the festivals, the July 4 events, from parades (where everyone in town and many towns surrounding come out and set their chairs, umbrellas, etc along the parade route) to boat parades and water events (like canoe-jousting) and water skiing exhibitions, to Fish Fry, Town Birthday Party and Supe-Spectacular Fireworks. Also, summer concerts in the parks, sports and lots of other events where you see babies, toddlers, kids, parents and grandparents all hanging out together having fun.

There are basically 2 "sides" to Tega Cay. The main part (down Gold Hill Rd/Tega Cay Dr)) is built out, and a new area is being built and has homes in the price range you've mentioned. Part of it is just behind the StoneCrest Center.. the other is a little further back -- by the dam. You can look it up or ask any realtor about the new part of tega cay.

Or... Fort Mill is nice too. Baxter is very family oriented too ... but houses are stacked SO close together. Reminds me too much of So Cal... 1/16 acre lots. Other parts of FM you can get a nice yard, as in both sections of Tega Cay.

Good luck!!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 31,101 times
Either Tega Cay or Fort Mill have the things you are looking for. At this point, its a matter of preference... Come on down and check us out!!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 AM

182 posts, read 331,730 times
The lots in Baxter are not 1/16th (0.0625 Acres). Most are under 1/4 (0.25) typically in the 0.15-0.20 range.

Tega Cay has much higher taxes. The old part of the town is just odd and in parts run down. The festiviities seem fun but restrict parking to people who do not live in the town. It takes more than 20 minutes to get update from Tega Cay. I live right on I-77 and at 6:00 in the morning with no traffic, I can make it in about 26 minutes.

The best thing to do is to come down and see for yourself.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
The lots in Baxter are not 1/16th (0.0625 Acres). Most are under 1/4 (0.25) typically in the 0.15-0.20 range.

Tega Cay has much higher taxes. The old part of the town is just odd and in parts run down. The festiviities seem fun but restrict parking to people who do not live in the town. It takes more than 20 minutes to get update from Tega Cay. I live right on I-77 and at 6:00 in the morning with no traffic, I can make it in about 26 minutes.

The best thing to do is to come down and see for yourself.
Nuke64 is 100% correct regarding the lot sizes. Most are .22-.25+ in the sections outside the town center.
It takes me 20 min or so to get to Johnson Road in the mornings and I leave at 7:15AM. If there are any issues on the road it can take 30min+++. Afternoons seem a little longer because of the heaver traffic leaving CLT.
Without traffic, from exit 85 (Starbucks)to uptown, google maps shows 17.2 miles or 21 min. It typically takes a little longer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties