Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 AM

11 posts, read 20,504 times

Advertisements

What restaurant has the best sweet tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM

42 posts, read 96,996 times
I don't personally drink it but my husband does and he loves it from the Old Town Bistro in RH and the Front Porch in Richburg.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,277 times
I like Bojangles.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb321 View Post
What restaurant has the best sweet tea?
You want the best? Drive down to the Beacon in Spartanburg, not the stuff they sell thru grocery stores. They've been makin' the best for over 50 years, and the last I heard, they still serve more tea than any other restaurant in the country.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,730 times
I also suggest the Beacon. Foodlion use to sell it in gallon jugs at one time. Not sure if they still do.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
You want the best? Drive down to the Beacon in Spartanburg, not the stuff they sell thru grocery stores. They've been makin' the best for over 50 years, and the last I heard, they still serve more tea than any other restaurant in the country.
Every transplant to South Carolina needs to at least visit the Beacon Drive In Restaurant in Spartanburg. It's a regional landmark having been there 60+ years. It ranks as the second largest drive-in restaurant in the US. They sell more tea than any restaurant in the USA.

This, of course, is not a health conscience dining establishment ... they do serve salads. The hamburgers and cheeseburgers are the best. The fried chicken is excellent too.

If you are ever over Spartanburg way stop by the Beacon ... if for no other reason than to say ... I've been to the Beacon.

The Beacon Drive In Restaurant Spartanburg SC

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Every transplant to South Carolina needs to at least visit the Beacon Drive In Restaurant in Spartanburg...
Amen, CW. The Beacon is one of the few remaining reminders of what small-town Southern life was really all about. It was sad to see that John White passed away last week. He was an icon of the community, and a wonderful example of how important a small businessman can be to his community. He straightened me out a few times, but there were few people I admired more than Mr. White. He was a friend and hero to all of the high-school kids, back in the day...

BTW, I never tried one of their salads, but I'll bet it doesn't compare to a slice-a-plenty, heavy on the red.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,016 times
McAlisters Deli.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 8,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Every transplant to South Carolina needs to at least visit the Beacon Drive In Restaurant in Spartanburg. It's a regional landmark having been there 60+ years. It ranks as the second largest drive-in restaurant in the US. They sell more tea than any restaurant in the USA.

This, of course, is not a health conscience dining establishment ... they do serve salads. The hamburgers and cheeseburgers are the best. The fried chicken is excellent too.

If you are ever over Spartanburg way stop by the Beacon ... if for no other reason than to say ... I've been to the Beacon.

[URL="http://www.beacondrivein.com/index.htm"]The Beacon Drive In Restaurant Spartanburg SC[/URL]
Not a transplant, but i did make the southern pilgrimage to the Beacon last year and this may be sacriligious, I was highly disappointed. The food was okay. But the much ballyhood(sp?) tea was extremely disappointing. Way too lemony. Kind of reminded me of Lipton instant Tea.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatoe View Post
Not a transplant, but i did make the southern pilgrimage to the Beacon last year and this may be sacriligious, I was highly disappointed. The food was okay. But the much ballyhood(sp?) tea was extremely disappointing. Way too lemony. Kind of reminded me of Lipton instant Tea.
Actually I drink Coke and the Beacon is just an 'institution' it's been here forever. A friend of mine from New York made the trip over to give it a try and said he slid in and out on the grease.

I have lived here all my life and to this day cannot make good ice tea. The ladies at church tease me when it's time to bring food ... they ask me not to bring tea. I can cook a killer cake of cornbread, a to die for banana pudding, delicious potato salad, all the typical southern dishes but my tea will take your breath away it's so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties