Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM

36 posts, read 66,012 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the area, and we're starting to look for a house (renting currently). By doing searches on Trulia.com and Realotr.com I've found that for the same money you get more house in 29715 than 29708 - or is it just an illusion?
We've drove around a little in both zip codes and the only difference I see is that 29715 looks older. Is there some underlying reason for this? I've read that all of Fort Mill's schools are good, so it can't be that... I hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM

396 posts, read 977,743 times
Here is a zip code map:

//www.city-data.com/zipmaps/For...-Carolina.html

29708 includes Tega Cay, which for some reason, even though it's a part of Fort Mill, carries an air of "upper class". I don't get it. It's nice and I won't knock it, but - to me - it's no different than any other part of Fort Mill. It IS closer to Lake Wylie, right on it actually - so that could be a reason for the difference in home prices. And, you are correct, it is a little newer as far as development.

However, 29715 has neighborhoods like Springfield and Beckenham. I believe Springfield starts in the 500s in the SUPER nice part of it (it's all nice, though). Beckenham (on Doby's Bridge Road) boasts homes that run in the 500s-600s-700s. There is also the two Oxford subdivisions (West and East) that start in the 400s. I think you'll find that in 29708, there is less of a price point difference, whereas in 29715 you'll find that price points vary from the 150s to the upper thousands in the same general area. 29708 is also closer to freeway access (77), but by minutes.

I feel like 29715 is more of a "country setting" (but not far from city activities at all!). I know that Gold Hill schools are thought to be the best of the Fort Mill schools (Gold Hill schools serve Tega cay in the 29708 area code). But - ALL of the schools are touted as being top-notch and I have to agree. You couldn't ask for a better school system. It's one of the main reasons we chose Fort Mill when we transferred from California 11 years ago.

The "Main Street" downtown area in 29715 is really quaint, short and sweet, and has really fun festivals and parades (i.e. - Halloween Festival, Christmas parade, Car Show, etc...).

I've gotta tell you - I love ALL of Fort Mill - so wherever you end up - I wouldn't be too concerned. I could live in 29708 or 29715 and be happy as a clam!

There IS a lower income section in 29715 that is really small, really old. I believe the name is "Paradise" running from Tom Hall Street to Springfield (connects Tom Hall to Springfield beginning at Banks Street). That could be a factor in lower home prices. If you look at the zip code map I placed a link to, you'll see 29715 carries a larger area/land mass than 29708.

Either way - wherever you end up - I think you'll be happy. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Here is a post I posted a year or so ago for someone looking to "scope" the area. Maybe this'll help if you can do this "Tour of Fort Mill":

Okay - here's my very long-winded plan:

There's Carowinds Theme Park and Plaza Fiesta on Carowinds Boulevard (don't know where you're coming from, but if you're going 77 south, you WON'T miss the exit!... and you'll see the new "Intimidator" coaster on the right).

You can begin at that exit (It'll say "Carowinds"), turn right onto Carowinds, drive straight (for breakfast there's a Cracker Barrel on the left if that interests you), and then make a left onto Pleasant Road. When you get to the intersection of Gold Hill and Pleasant Road, make a right onto Gold Hill Road and it will take you towards Tega Cay, which may as well be a part of Fort Mill because it's just an eye blink - but very nice. (It is "kinda" a part of Fort Mill, but people there will let you know it's "Tega Cay" - No insult! I like Tega Cay).

Make a left at the traffic light onto the 160 (There's a McDonalds there). Take the 160 as far as it goes - you'll pass plazas, Bruster's Ice Cream, a very nice Wal-Mart, you'll see "Baxter Village" on the right (Kind of a neat BIG neighborhood with Starbucks, shops - worth a drive through - there's a YMCA there - a REALLY nice one). You'll pass "over" the 77, keep going straight and you'll see "The Peach Stand" on the right, some nice greenery with horses on the left, Walter Elisha Park on the right... when you come to the first traffic light after Walter Elisha Park, go through it and make a left onto Main Street (over the train tracks - very quaint and is part of the "160").

Make a right onto Tom Hall Street (still part of the "160"). You'll see a sculpture of flowers and a "Hardy's" - you'll see Bank of America on the left, a fire hall, the Post Office. Keep going and pass the CVS on the right (at a traffic light, cross street will be "Banks").

You'll see the Leroy Springs Complex on your left. This is a FANTASTIC facility - kind of like a YMCA but they have activities for kids like horse back riding, archery, cheerleading, karati, etc... (adult stuff, too) - it's a work-out facility and the people there are AWESOME!

Once you go past Leroy Springs Complex, make a left onto Springfield Parkway (a new Walgreens will be on your right and Fairway Gas Station). You'll go up Springfield and Fort Mill Elementary School will be on your right, you'll go past some new apartments going up. Keep going straight and there's the neighborhood "Springfield" on your right and across from that is "The Field Trial Barn" (well, the road to it! People have weddings and stuff there. I went to one in the fall and it was GREAT! So much fun!).

The new Nation Ford High School will be on the right (Fort Mill has two high schools, and quite a few elementary and middle schools - the schools here are second to none!).

Once you pass the high school you'll come to an intersection (you'll see a beautiful white house straight ahead and slightly to the left), make a left at this light and you'll see some nice greenery, more horses and "The Dairy Barn" on your right (The Field Trial Barn is a part of The Dairy Barn, one of its facilities). This road will take you straight back to the "160" and let out at Walter Elisha Park (that you would already have passed). Make a right turn and you'll be on the "160" again and go past the horses and the Peach stand and head back to the 77.

NOW - you can forego making a left after the high school and go RIGHT instead. This will take you back to Gold Hill Road and get you back onto the 77 as well (you'll pass Springfield Elementary school on your left, go straight through that light at the School and also pass The Charlotte Knights Stadium (Baseball) on the left as well (the roadway to it anyway). You'll go through an intersection where "Captain Steve's" restaurant will be on the right.

You'll keep going and pass a CMC urgent care medical facility on the right. The 77 should be right there.

This route will take you in a huge circle, however, it's not even close to all that Fort Mill has to offer. I've just given you some of the main roads. You'll see some nice neighborhoods, but there are MANY roads and hidden gems along the route I have given and beyond.

Fort Mill neighbors Charlotte, NC and Pineville, NC (great malls and restaurants). It also neighbors Indian Land in SC and Ballantyne (a part of Charlotte, NC that's pretty neat). It also butts heads with Rock Hill, SC which has some neatness of its own (Dave Lyle Blvd - an exit you'll pass if you are going 77 South - in Rock Hill has Manchester Cinema, a mall, a Target, a Walmart, restaurants).

At first glance you may feel like you're far from everything in Fort Mill, but trust me - it's the PERFECT location location location! You are a mere 20 to 30 minutes from Uptown Charlotte and the other areas I've mentioned (some areas only a 10 - 15 minute drive).

You get the best of both worlds - country and city!

Good luck! I hold no responsibility if you get lost! LOL
(If any Fort Millians find any errors in my post - please correct me!)

I hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Here's additional information from that same post:

Tega Cay is nice. It wouldn't hurt to drive through it as it wouldn't take up much of your time, but if you skip it this time around, you won't miss too much. If you're not pressed for time, though - do see it. When we were moving out here in 2001, we looked at Lake Wylie, Tega Cay and Fort Mill. I really like all three areas.

There are family oriented neighborhoods along the entire route I posted. Trust me - you'll see MANY signs for new homes along the route, especially on the 160. Most newer subdivisions have walking trails, club houses, pools, play grounds, etc. and Fort Mill has quite a few parks. Tega Cay has a freeze at it's elementary school, which has been in effect ever since we moved here almost 9 years ago. But it should be lifted next year.

There's a really nice subdivison going up in Tega Cay called "Lake Ridge". When you're going down the 160 from Gold Hill, when you pass the Wal Mart on your right, you will come to a Texaco Station on your right as well. Make a right turn at the Texaco Station. Keep going straight until you see a BIG sign for new homes (I believe it is a TRUE Home sign) and what looks to be a white church on the left. Make a left turn there. (Sorry, but I can't name the road).

Continue Straight and you will see "Lake Ridge" on BOTH sides, but you'll pass some trailer homes to get there. But it's not seedy looking, so don't let that scare you. When you pass Lake Ridge, the street will end into another road (again, I don't know the name - sorry!) and you will make a left turn. This new road will take you behind Baxter Village and let out at Sutton Road. You can make a left onto Sutton Road, which will take you back to the "160". You'd make a right onto the "160" to get back to my original route (at the CVS and Walgreens / Bullfeathers). It's actually a nice diversion.

My original route was just the quickest thing I could think of to let you see a lot of Fort Mill at it's perimeter in the shortest amount of time.

If you take any of our suggestions, post again and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM

36 posts, read 66,012 times
Thank you for the awesome information. We've been driving through some of these areas (baxter, peach stand, etc.), so it looks like we covered some of the areas that you talked about. We will try the route that you described. I've seen the signs for True Homes when we drove by Baxter - but we didn't check out those homes.
We are planning on buying a house by end of March 2012, so we have some time to get a good look around. Currently we are renting in Lake Wylie.
Once again thanks for the info.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,795 times
My guess is the 29715 area that feeds into Riverview Elementary is what you want to avoid if schools are an issue for you.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
My guess is the 29715 area that feeds into Riverview Elementary is what you want to avoid if schools are an issue for you.
There shouldn't be issues with ANY of the schools. I have friends with kids who go to Riverview and they LOVE it. I haven't heard one bad thing about any of the elementary or middle schools. I wouldn't worry. You can always go on the district school site (google fort mill school district) and you'll get maps for what neighborhoods go to what schools.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM

474 posts, read 1,750,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
All the elementary schools are within the same quality range. I've only heard positives about Riverview from multiple parents with kids attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties