Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on swimming lessons being offered other than the YMCA for kids (11 y.o.) in the area? The Y requires what to me is a steep membership fee for the family. In CT, the Y only asked for a one time annual fee and then fees for whatever programs you want to sign up for. I only need this one for one child and $61 a month of dues is a bit much. I checked Leroy Springs but can't find lessons on their website. My son can swim a little bit but does not have the confidence to go on to the deep end and can barely cross the width of the pool. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Does anyone have any info on swimming lessons being offered other than the YMCA for kids (11 y.o.) in the area? The Y requires what to me is a steep membership fee for the family. In CT, the Y only asked for a one time annual fee and then fees for whatever programs you want to sign up for. I only need this one for one child and $61 a month of dues is a bit much. I checked Leroy Springs but can't find lessons on their website. My son can swim a little bit but does not have the confidence to go on to the deep end and can barely cross the width of the pool. Suggestions?
Hey there bibit!

We belong to the Fort Mill YMCA...but I guess I didn't realize you had to be a member first to take swimming lessons there?

The two places we have experience with in regard to swim lessons is the Tega Cay Beach & Swim Center. Signs up started in January...so you might want to check with Billie Taylor to see if they still have openings (you don't have to be a member...but you do pay a little extra if your not).

The other place is Leroy Springs, and the person in charge there is Mr. Harry (sorry...I know he has a last name...but that's all I know him by ).

Here's the two links if interested:

Beach & Swim Center
http://www.tegacayrec.com/files/Tega...chure_2008.pdf

http://www.leroysprings.com/2007%20R...on%20Guide.pdf

Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks, LTC! I know I can always count on you for great info! If you ever run for office in York (can't vote in Tega Cay), I'd be your #1 fan!

I'll check those sites and keep those numbers too. Your pet recs are coming in handy. Me thinks we are boarding our furbaby this June for a week at Continental.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:33 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Thanks, LTC! I know I can always count on you for great info! If you ever run for office in York (can't vote in Tega Cay), I'd be your #1 fan!

I'll check those sites and keep those numbers too. Your pet recs are coming in handy. Me thinks we are boarding our furbaby this June for a week at Continental.

why thanks bibit!...glad I could be of some help.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 23,378 times
Default Swimming lessons at the Y

You don't have to be a member of the Fort Mill YMCA to take swim lessons. They just charge you a higher fee than a member would pay.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,023 times
Default The Y

We just joined the Y last night (Baxter). They informed me to stand a chance of getting in the swimming lessons, even as a member, expect to camp out at the door at 6:45AM the day they open up for sign-ups. There are only 5 kids per class. Members get first shot at the slots, 4 days later non-members. Non-members have no chance of getting a slot, even members often can't get in.

I signed up for private lessons as my daughter is 3 and just starting. For members this is $80 for 4 lessons. After that, we may try waiting in line to get in a class!

There is no joining fee at the Y now, but for a 1 parent family it is $61 per month, but I think you can do a membership for just your child for around $23? a month. You can stop at any time, but there is a cutoff date each month to notify them. You pay by auto bank withdrawal.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Leroy Springs Rec center too...and recreational activities for Lancaster Co., Fort Mill & Chester Townships & surrounding counties in S. Carolina-Leroy Springs & Co. They have something worked out with the Baxter Y that if you pay a few bucks more you can use both.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Leroy Springs seems more affordable. If I understood it correctly from the site LTC posted, they would charge about $45 for a 2-wk lesson (M-Th), which is 8 days. In CT, we paid about that much for 8 Saturday lessons. When it gets closer, I will verify this info. I think the swim lessons are at 6-7:30 in Rock Hill though. It looks like the mornings are kept open for swim meets and parts of the pm are for recreational swim as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM

26 posts, read 134,000 times
Also look into Charlotte Aquatics off of Pineville-Matthews Rd. behind Charlotte Catholic. They have excellent instructors and are very highly recommended. here is their link Charlotte Aquatics Home Page Classes fill up fast. It is about $125.00 for 8 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties