Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,223,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. When we move we will most likely not buy a home with a pool..at this point our dogs enjoy it more than we do! We spoil them silly..they swim daily and will be very unhappy when we close up the pool next week. So finding a place that has access for swimming is important to us..By the way, Tega Cay's amenities are awesome!! It keeps getting bumped up to the top of our list.

Pharm--how awful to have all four paws cut up...I hope you can keep the booties on..my goldens think anything with fleece is a toy, and would seek & destroy! Seriously, I hope they heal up quickly!
that is what attracted us to Tega Cay...the trees and the amenities.

Good Luck with your continued search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM

41 posts, read 160,439 times
This is going to be really off topic, but since this is a dog lover's post, I thought I would mention it anyway. I have a goldendoodle that just went through major, life-threatening surgery. I won't go into too many details, but I have been telling anyone that will listen about GDV. It is also known as torsion. Please google it. It is basically the twisting of the stomach and it happens in large breed, deep chested dogs. Great danes most commonly, but also on the list is Golden retrievers. It will kill your dog without almost immediate action. By googling it and reading about it, you can learn more about it, like what to look for that may indicate your dog is more prone (eating too fast, eating only once a day, etc.) and how to know if it is happening to your dog (act fast). I saw it in my dog's eyes the moment it happened and although I didn't know what was happening, I knew it was bad. I got him to the Animal ER within 35 minutes and he was in surgery within an hour. The vet said another 30 minutes and he would have died. When his stomach twisted, his spleen was torn and he was bleeding internally.
SO sorry to ramble off topic, but I'll consider this a public service announcement! Please look it up and tell all your friends about it, especially if they have big dogs.
Shelly

Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM

146 posts, read 452,136 times
I lost my childhood dog to this, she was a St. Bernard. Thanks for getting the word out there! We now have a toy poodle, so not quite the same

Are there dogs of all sizes at the Bark Park? We have driven by it but haven't taken Sophie there yet because in the past she was attacked at a dog park. Apparently 2 large dogs thought she was "prey" or so the owner explained. I think it was more about how the dogs were trained vs being large but wanted to make sure a small dog was safe to roam at the park. We have taken her to Windjammer, but she doesn't go to far in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4harveys View Post
This is going to be really off topic, but since this is a dog lover's post, I thought I would mention it anyway. I have a goldendoodle that just went through major, life-threatening surgery. I won't go into too many details, but I have been telling anyone that will listen about GDV. It is also known as torsion. Please google it. It is basically the twisting of the stomach and it happens in large breed, deep chested dogs. Great danes most commonly, but also on the list is Golden retrievers. It will kill your dog without almost immediate action. By googling it and reading about it, you can learn more about it, like what to look for that may indicate your dog is more prone (eating too fast, eating only once a day, etc.) and how to know if it is happening to your dog (act fast). I saw it in my dog's eyes the moment it happened and although I didn't know what was happening, I knew it was bad. I got him to the Animal ER within 35 minutes and he was in surgery within an hour. The vet said another 30 minutes and he would have died. When his stomach twisted, his spleen was torn and he was bleeding internally.
SO sorry to ramble off topic, but I'll consider this a public service announcement! Please look it up and tell all your friends about it, especially if they have big dogs.
Shelly

Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

390 posts, read 1,517,325 times
I lost my Husky, Greta, to GDV on 7/20/06. I'd never heard of torsion, and it happened in the middle of the night. It was awful. This PSA needs to get to every large breed owner out there so they can react when they see the symptoms. Thanks - I'm glad your baby made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4harveys View Post
Shelly

Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM

238 posts, read 1,249,461 times
My 3 year old golden, Rosie, went thru a life-saving GI surgery when she was just 3 months old . Since she has a tendency to gobble her food in mere seconds I was worried about Rosie getting "the bloat" (GDV) and spoke to our vet..he gave us a great suggestion..put a large rock in her bowl with her food..it sounds silly but it really slows her eating down..she has to eat around the rock. Not a meal goes by without "Rosie's rock" placed on top of her food!!

ps..Rosie licks that rock clean everynight!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,135 times
Default Tega Cay for retired couple?

Hi. We are about to explore this area (Tega Cay, Lake Wylie, Fort Mill, etc). Is there a good place for "older" retired folks to live. I'm not sure we are ready for an "age restricted" community. Would we have to be commuting to a major city for activities? Our requirements are fishing for my bass fishing husband, quilting for me, a quiet, peaceful, low traffic area with lots of nature. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 49,236 times
On the NC side of Lake Wylie off Hwy 49 there is a park. Normally there is a charge to enter the park, but after Labor Day they quit charging. Sorry I cannot recall the name of the park. There is a small area where there is access to the water. I remember seeing people lauching kayaks. There wasn't too many dogs. I do know they do allow dogs at the park because I was there to meet a couple other girls for a boxer play date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties