Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM

116 posts, read 551,408 times

Advertisements

Is anyone getting their lawn aerated this year? I called a couple of companies and they said the ground may be too hard.

If you are getting, or have gotten, your yard aerated, who did you use? I am new to the area (Sutton Place in Fort Mill) and would like to have a nice lawn next year. I just don't know where to start as I am from a Non-Fescue, Warm Season grass area and know nothing about cool season grass.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,443,294 times
Worry about it next year.

Welcome to the Town of Fort Mill, South Carolina

2. Planting of new ornamental plants or seeding/sodding of lawns is strongly discouraged. However, if newly seeded/sodded lawns require regular watering to maintain healthy growth, customers shall water newly seeded/sodded lawns one time per day for the first two-weeks after the seeding/sodding takes place. Watering may only take place between the hours of 9:00PM and 5:00AM. All watering of seeded/sodded lawns following the first two-weeks of watering shall occur two times per week between the hours of 9:00PM and 5:00AM

Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM

54 posts, read 189,616 times
I think I have a lot to learn about lawns. How much do the companies charge for upkeep of lawns up there?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 PM

474 posts, read 1,750,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD/MBA View Post
Is anyone getting their lawn aerated this year? I called a couple of companies and they said the ground may be too hard.

If you are getting, or have gotten, your yard aerated, who did you use? I am new to the area (Sutton Place in Fort Mill) and would like to have a nice lawn next year. I just don't know where to start as I am from a Non-Fescue, Warm Season grass area and know nothing about cool season grass.

Thank you in advance.
I'm going back and forth on whether to do it or not- Right now it seems like a waste of time and money with the lack of rain and ban on watering. My ground is like concrete, so the aerating won't take..... frustrating. I think I'm going to wait until mid to late October and then make a decision.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:19 PM

116 posts, read 551,408 times
I spoke with a gentleman with one of the local companies today that agreed that mid to late October will likely be a better time if we get the rain we need. It may still be important to do so this winter so that next spring the rain and fertilizer can get deeper into the soil and the new seeds will be deeper underground as well. This will create a deeper more sturdy root system that is more heat and drought tolerant.

I will wait until later next month to decide, however, it looks as if we will at least aerate and overseed this fall at some point.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD/MBA View Post

Thank you in advance.
The first year we lived here we had someone come out an aerate our lawn (I'll spare you their company name)....since that time though...we rent an aerator (splitting the cost with neighbors) and do it ourselves (going over the lawn twice)....usually around the end of October, or early November (we will wait and see this year though???)

Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 AM

390 posts, read 1,516,945 times
So if I'm required by my lender to show "finished landscape" before I can close my construction loan (which means I at least have to TRY to seed), what do you all recommend? The ground in that one area is not hard because it's all dirt we've imported, so do we just seed, cover and water? We're only doing a small section, because the lay of the land will let us get away with that (it's the only flat portion of the lot right now).

I have already done ornamental shrubs that we stand and water every day. They seem to be okay now that it's cooling off. They all looked dead at the beginning of September - plants don't really like to relocate when it's over 100 degrees!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
So if I'm required by my lender to show "finished landscape" before I can close my construction loan (which means I at least have to TRY to seed), what do you all recommend? The ground in that one area is not hard because it's all dirt we've imported, so do we just seed, cover and water? We're only doing a small section, because the lay of the land will let us get away with that (it's the only flat portion of the lot right now).

I have already done ornamental shrubs that we stand and water every day. They seem to be okay now that it's cooling off. They all looked dead at the beginning of September - plants don't really like to relocate when it's over 100 degrees!
I'd say if you are required by the lender to show "finished landscape" I'd just buy a couple bales of hay and throw it down over the area (seeds, or no seeds...course right during our current drought situation...I'm leaning more towards no seeds..and if they happen to look that closely for it...tell em' the birds must have ate it )

Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 PM

390 posts, read 1,516,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I'd say if you are required by the lender to show "finished landscape" I'd just buy a couple bales of hay and throw it down over the area (seeds, or no seeds...course right during our current drought situation...I'm leaning more towards no seeds..and if they happen to look that closely for it...tell em' the birds must have ate it )
Great idea. That's easier and cheaper - a good combination!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,573,959 times
My dad just rented an aerater last week and did my yard, his girlfriends yard and another neighbors and I don't think he had any trouble. We have been watering our lawn all summer though (twice a week) but I don't know about the neighbors. Those things are pretty strong. It put chips in one area of my sidewalk when he accidentally went over it. If you think your ground is too hard perhaps throw a sprinkler on it for a bit, but you should wait before you seed though. It is still supposed to be in the 90s this week, and maybe, just maybe we will see some rain soon.

It is a tough call really. If you don't seed this fall you won't have any grass and will just have a yard of weeds and dirt/mud until next fall. Or you can wait and sod when the water restrictions are lifted, but sod is not cheap. If it is just a small area I would go for it and just hand water everyday, unless they start banning any lawn watering. For a bit more help getting the grass to com up cover the seed with peatmoss, not straw. Dampen it as many times during the day as possible until the grass starts to come up but don't let the water run at all or you will lose the seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties