Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Y2S Y2S started this thread

8 posts, read 14,755 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience with Audubon Lakes (Pulte Community) in Indian Land, or perhaps, hear anything? I understand that it used to be a Shea Homes community, and now Pulte has taken it over.

My spouse and I are looking for a new community/housing development. We currently live in Tega Cay, and are looking to move into Fort Mill or Indian Land. We would like a community with individuals who are closer to our age (mid 40s and early 50s). Right now, our community is mostly young families, very clicky, and we really don't feel as if we fit in.

We've looked at the older part of BridgeMill (very nice), Shelly Woods (nice, but unsure about the development yet since it is not full), and The Forrest (nice, but over-priced in our opinion compared to what you receive in return). We are looking in the $350-$400 range.

We have one last child who will be entering H.S. One thing we do not like about Fort Mill Schools is the fact that they instituted Core Curriculum this year, and we do not support this at all. Does anyone know if Indian Land adopted Core Curriculum?

This is our final move --- our long-term home.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,228,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2S View Post
We have one last child who will be entering H.S. One thing we do not like about Fort Mill Schools is the fact that they instituted Core Curriculum this year, and we do not support this at all. Does anyone know if Indian Land adopted Core Curriculum?

This is our final move --- our long-term home.

Thanks in advance!!
If you are staying within the public school systems I think you'll have to move further from TC than say Indian Land, SC (which is within the Lancaster County School District).

Check out the following map showing the 45 states that have adopted the Common core Curriculum.

Common Core State Standards Initiative | In the States

Common Core - South Carolina Department of Education

Old 11-30-2013, 12:43 PM

43 posts, read 81,708 times
Only way to avoid CORE is move to Nebraska, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Texas, Virginia, Minnesota. All the parents hate it and the teachers are stressed out to the max trying to implement it. We are stuck with it until the government decides it is not working.....

You could build a house in Brayden (new standard pacific development) on 160, quality builder, get the features you want so it can be a forever house. Your kid does not have to change schools or be the new kid in Indian land still learning CORE. The neighborhood will be brand new with a lot of transplants so that should cut way down on the cliques.

Fort Mill High school is nationally ranked, and number 15 in the state (NAFO slightly higher). Indian Land is not even close.

Springfield neighborhood has a nice mix of ages, empty nesters, high school parents and young parents as well and they have activities all year that target each group. New phase in there by Standard Pacific is just starting, says low 400s or there is the Lennar section but that is younger families. The other custom side the golf villas would be in your price range if you don't want a huge yard and there are lots of age differences in there.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Y2S Y2S started this thread

8 posts, read 14,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoemakerinc View Post
Only way to avoid CORE is move to Nebraska, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Texas, Virginia, Minnesota. All the parents hate it and the teachers are stressed out to the max trying to implement it. We are stuck with it until the government decides it is not working.....

You could build a house in Brayden (new standard pacific development) on 160, quality builder, get the features you want so it can be a forever house. Your kid does not have to change schools or be the new kid in Indian land still learning CORE. The neighborhood will be brand new with a lot of transplants so that should cut way down on the cliques.

Fort Mill High school is nationally ranked, and number 15 in the state (NAFO slightly higher). Indian Land is not even close.

Springfield neighborhood has a nice mix of ages, empty nesters, high school parents and young parents as well and they have activities all year that target each group. New phase in there by Standard Pacific is just starting, says low 400s or there is the Lennar section but that is younger families. The other custom side the golf villas would be in your price range if you don't want a huge yard and there are lots of age differences in there.

Thanks, Shoemaker.

I agree. The teachers, students and parents despise CORE. Witnessing what my daughter is dealing with every day (nevermind the fact that my spouse and I cannot stand it due to the farce that it is), we have already written our representative, as well as State Senators and Governor Haley's office expressing our opposition. Interesting, I did receive a customized letter from Gov. Haley's office who stated that they are trying to pass a Bill that will overturn CORE. There is always hope. However, the longer this farce is allowed to continue, the chances of an overturn will be slim. I'm shocked as to how many parents are clueless as to what it CORE even is about. Just two weeks ago, I found out that they want to eliminate cursive writing!

On another note, thanks for the info on the developments. Much appreciated. Staying in this area is of concern for several reasons, including the one in my original email. Moreover, the congestion is horrific every morning and evening (rush hour), and I cannot even imagine what it will be like when this occurs:

FORT MILL TOWNSHIP: County approvals show home plans for Hwy. 160 West development | Local | Fort Mill Times

Moreover, I see nothing but the tax structure being increased. We experienced this identical situation in another state (promises of infrastructure, but the City continues to build, build, build residential). The schools were the top in the state --- heck, the country --- and now, they went from number 1 to ranking a 7 (out of 10). I see this mirrored here, but it seems like many tend to ignore it or do not question. I'll believe the City officials and politicians when I see action. Long term, it's about getting out before it is too late.

Not trying to be negative, but we've experienced this before and the pattern is identical. I truly wish it were otherwise, because we love Fort Mill especially (not Tega Cay).

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:51 AM

152 posts, read 248,337 times
Sent a direct mess. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties