Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:42 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,992,099 times

Advertisements

When my Grandmother got older and couldnt handle a house, she moved into these apartments/townhouses that were based on your income. I dont recall the formula, but they took how much you made (working, SS income, etc) and then based your rent on that. Some paid more, others paid less. Im trying to find that in the Fort Mill/Rock Hill area, and my searches either turn up housing for seniors who cant care for themselves, or Section 8 type housing. Im looking for neither. Do these places exist around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,973,525 times
Rock Hill use to have that type of housing available. Rent was determined on their income. I don't know if that is still available or not. They had an apartment complex on Jones Ave and another off of Cherry Rd. I know people that had a grandparent living in both places but that has been quite a few years.

Did you contact York County Council on Aging 328-0197, they should be able to answer any questions you have. The Highland Park Mill was converted into apartments for seniors but again I don't know how the rent is determined or if you have to purchase a unit.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:59 PM

In my research, this doesnt exist around here. Seems like all the senior housing you actually need to buy, or its for seniors who need assistance. Ill look into it further!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,973,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
In my research, this doesnt exist around here. Seems like all the senior housing you actually need to buy, or its for seniors who need assistance. Ill look into it further!
I thought that maybe the case now. Westministers Towers was one of the first to build a place for seniors and you have to purchase the condo. The apartments off of Cherry Road was nice when a friend's grandmother lived there. Over the years I think that complex turned into Section 8.

The YC Council on Aging number is for their office at the old Highland Park Mill. I don't know anything about the units but you may have to purchase them. That is where the Senior Citizens hold meetings and have the free lunch meals.

If you are still considering purchasing a home, we co-signed for our daughter when she bought her home. She pays the house payment, taxes and insurance and it is rated as owner occupied even though our names are on the legal papers. One of those "et al" things as we have our own primary residence.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Umm co signing the loan might let us get the 4%, that would be helpful, but the 6% wouldnt kill me.

Highland Mill parks rent is a touch higher then she pays now, so that wouldnt make sense.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,455,193 times
I know the Pines between old 521 and Harrisburg rd is income based. I had a friend that lived in there. Maybe not the area you are looking for.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I know the Pines between old 521 and Harrisburg rd is income based. I had a friend that lived in there. Maybe not the area you are looking for.
What town is that in? Im not familiar with those roads by name.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,303,360 times
When I moved my grandmother down here a couple years ago, she lived at The Dorchester in Pineville just over the border from Regent Park. No buy-in required, modest rent (with an option based on income), and lots of activities. My grandmother didn't have a lot of money coming in from her pension, but she had enough to pay for the rent, her meals (they have an onsite dining room that serves lunch and dinner) and her monitored medical bracelet.

DEFINITELY worth checking out. I've told my husband that when I get old, and once he's gone - I'll be moving into The Dorchester.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about it - my grandmother lived there for a year before she passed away at the age of 99.

http://dorchestercharlotte.com/

Last edited by Girl; 09-16-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 AM

564 posts, read 1,455,193 times
The Pines are very close to the NC/SC boarder behind Carolina place Mall.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Sadly I am NOT looking for anything in North Carolina. York and Lancaster County only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties