Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 PM

80 posts, read 326,573 times

Advertisements

Can somebody who moved from out of state please help. I was wondering how easy it is to get an out of state driver's license switched over to a South Carolina State license. Do you have to take a written test or a road test if you have a valid out of state license or is it a more simple process? What fees are involved? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Neither...just a vision exam. The license switch is easy...switching your vehicles is a little more complicated but not too bad.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM

259 posts, read 797,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
Can somebody who moved from out of state please help. I was wondering how easy it is to get an out of state driver's license switched over to a South Carolina State license. Do you have to take a written test or a road test if you have a valid out of state license or is it a more simple process? What fees are involved? Thanks for your help!
We moved here in August and had a few problems getting our licenses. Check out the SCDMV website to see exactly what you need to bring and the fees. It is basically simple but you must have proof of SC auto insurance (our insurance company told us to take the NY proof of insurance). You also will need your original birth certificate. My husband's was fine but they decided the one I had just used to get my social security was not fine and I had to get a new one. That was a hassle. You also need proof of residency (a bill, etc.) and the application.

I do not know where you are locating, but I suggest you do not go to the Heckle Road DMV office in Rock Hill. There are other offices available. No test is necessary unlike NC!

Our biggest hassle was registering a leased vehicle. If you have one, please see my post on that.

There are property taxes due on your vehicle. The SCDMV website tells you about them and there are lots of threads here on that subject.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Make sure your out of state license is not expired. I heard that you might have to take the test if it is. Have your insurance card already reflect an endorsement covering you for SC like the previous post said and take that with you.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,195 times
If you're a married female (or divorced, for that matter, or for any other reason using a surname that is not on your birth certificate), you have to provide a marriage license along with the certified copy of your birth certificate. I had everything they require, and even then they almost would not accept my birth certificate, because it didn't have a file number at the top. I had to argue on that point, but they eventually took it (I think they took pity on me because of what I'd been through trying to register my leased vehicle).

Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM

259 posts, read 797,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
If you're a married female (or divorced, for that matter, or for any other reason using a surname that is not on your birth certificate), you have to provide a marriage license along with the certified copy of your birth certificate. I had everything they require, and even then they almost would not accept my birth certificate, because it didn't have a file number at the top. I had to argue on that point, but they eventually took it (I think they took pity on me because of what I'd been through trying to register my leased vehicle).
You and I sound like we had similar hassles. I had forgotten the issue of proof of identity. I have been divorced and remarried and had to have a paper trail of my identity from birth certificate, through the divorce which had my maiden name on the decree, and then the remarriage certificate.

I am glad they took pity on you. We deserve a medal for getting through the process. It took me four visits to the DMV and three months to get all in order!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,183,622 times
You have received good advice re what you need to do.

Additional info, in case you move subsequent to obtaining your new SC license, which many of us do... currently the 4057 form on the DMV site is outdated - not the credentialing form, but the form for change of address, name change, and other corrections. I filled out the old form then had to fill out new revised one at the DMV, in addition to a new credentialing form. You only have to have your SC D/L as ID to do the address change.

You also have to have a new photo taken when you facilitate a new address in person. As far as I can tell, such is not the case when you do an address change online or via mail, they handle it as a duplicate license transaction, they simply update the address before sending the dupe. I thought such would be the case in person but not so. (that would make too much sense, right?) Bummer. My last photo was great. Today's was awful. Oh well.

Movingdown, I read your previous post re leased vehicles and when I was at the DMV today facilitating an address change, there was a guy in front of me who seemed to be having problems with registering leased vehicle and I thought of you. He seemed pretty frustrated. He must not be a city-data user.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 PM

417 posts, read 813,728 times
AND.....If you happen to be Canadian, but you moved here from another state within the USA......We'll,....that's a whole other story to prove to the DMV.....LOL ...Geeeeeez

Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM

80 posts, read 326,573 times
Thank you so much for all the helpful replies. This gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM

20 posts, read 63,191 times
Default Just wondering

We will be moving to SC soon. Just looked at the SCDMV website and it states a passport can be used as idenitification. The name on the passport is the same as the one on my current driver's license. Do you think I would still need to bring my marriage license? Thanks for any ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties