Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 AM

56 posts, read 135,345 times

Advertisements

!!!! if you live in sc and work in nc or another state you must file taxes first in the state you are working in. then you will file taxes in sc. you must fill out a sc tax credit for paying taxes to another state. you will pay sc taxes also. yes it is a ripp off. you pay taxes to both states . nc and sc have always been at odds with each other and will not give the residents no breaks at all. the states fight over everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM

read your sc tax law. if you are a resident of sc you are required to pay taxes on income no matter where you earned it. you will get hit with a big tax fine if you dont. i file a fed. form then a nc form then sc form. note you have to send a copy of your nc form with your sc form

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
I work in NC and live in SC - have for 10 years. I always file NC taxes and SC Taxes. If I've been doing it wrong all these years, I'm in big trouble .

NC and SC are reciprocal states, so when I complete my NC taxes, SC Gives me credit on practically all I paid in NC. My employer takes taxes out of my check for NC. Of course, since it's not an exact science, I end up owing SC something ridiculous like $2.00.

If you use a program like TurboTax, it's real easy to do, you just have to pay for an additional state download.

Of course, I find this all completely unfair. How can SC tax me on income that it doesn't provide in any way shape or form, and why do I have taxation without representation in NC.
yes i wonder about the tax thing in nc also.you pay all the taxes in nc but you are not entitled to anything from nc

Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM

216 posts, read 701,594 times
ANy tips for doing this with turbo tax? The last 5 years I have lived in states with no state tax. Now, like most here I live in SC but work in Charlotte. My job has been taking out NC state tax from my checks thats about it.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Just double check with your employer. Years ago I lived briefly in Fort Mill, SC and worked in Uptown Charlotte, NC. I worked for American Express and they did NOT offer the same benefits if you lived in SC. Also as far as health benefits I could not go to the same doctors. So I went to the Pineville, NC post office and got a PO BOX with a Pineville, NC address and got my benefits back.

It might be different now. Just check with your employere. They all could be different.

Probably over 1/2 of the people that live in boardering SC from Charlotte cross the boarder to work!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
All of these concerns are answered in the Dept of Revenue website of South Carolina at SC.GOV - Welcome to SC.GOV. Click on Revenue, Dept under Agency.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
From the SC.GOV website under there FAQs:

Q. What are the filing requirements for a South Carolina resident working in another state?

[SIZE=2]A. As a resident of South Carolina, you are taxed on all your income regardless of where it is earned. In order to avoid double taxation, South Carolina would allow a tax credit for the taxes that you had to pay to the other state on the wages earned in that state. For South Carolina purposes, you would file the SC1040 with the SC1040TC. A copy of the other state’s return and federal return must be attached to the filing of the South Carolina return.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Code Sections 12-6-2220(6), 12-6-3400[/SIZE]

Individual Income Tax FAQ

Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM

30 posts, read 177,987 times
Re: sales tax, SC taxes have increased 2% to cover the recent drop in property tax. Non prepared food tax has dropped to 1%.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,908 times
Default Living in SC vs NC

Help! We just moved from Charleston SC to Concord NC (near Charlotte) because of a job change. I don't want to stay in Concord. I want some land (5+ acres) for horses, etc... I need good schools with 2 elementary aged kids. When we moved to Concord we noticed our health insurance (BCBS), car insurance and homeowners insurance were considerably cheaper (like HALF). Of course, Charleston is a "hurricane & flood" town so that explains the homeowners and auto, somewhat. Which is cheaper overall???? NC or SC??? I REALLY like the Clover, York areas of SC for beauty and good schools in a rural setting but there also seem to be a lot of areas around Charlotte which offer the same. I'm looking for a beautiful small town with good schools and land at a decent price. Does anyone know the comparison with NC vs SC as far as:
Health Insurance, Car Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, Sales Tax, Property Tax (home and auto), Income tax and any other cost variables? What abuot crime? Where do I stay away from around Charlotte??? Does anyone have a recommendation on areas in NC which fit the bill? I can get the school info at Great Schools.net.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbee01 View Post
!!!! if you live in sc and work in nc or another state you must file taxes first in the state you are working in. then you will file taxes in sc. you must fill out a sc tax credit for paying taxes to another state. you will pay sc taxes also. yes it is a ripp off. you pay taxes to both states . nc and sc have always been at odds with each other and will not give the residents no breaks at all. the states fight over everything.
That's not true. SC credits income tax paid in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties