Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from Northeast PA to SC. I've been debating between North Carolina and South Carolina but SC seems to stand out more. The two areas that I've been researching are Greenville and Rock Hill/Fort Mill. Just wanted to hear other's inputs and preferences on the area. I visited Greenville back in April and really liked it but want to explore options before settling on one.

A little about me: I just recently graduated from college and my husband and I want to venture out and move somewhere while we don't have any big obligations. We like smaller towns and more rural areas but I'm willing to work in the city where there are more jobs.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
I am in no way being snarky, but what exactly are you looking for? Is employment a non issue? Is being near the ocean or the mountains a major consideration? Do you need to be near a major airport?

There are a lot of rural type areas here, though they're different than in the Lancaster PA area.

The Greenville area has a notable amount of foreign investment - both Michelin and BMW have manufacturing facilities there. Downtown Greenville is a nice walkable town. The traffic, IMHO, can be terrible in shopping districts.

Uptown Charlotte is more of a city, with the amenities of a city. Fort Mill is very much a suburb, in it's housing and shopping plazas. A lot of people from the N.E. call Fort Mill home.

Rock Hill is trying to make a name for itself, and is rebranding itself as a town that is good for sports (e.g. the Veladrome track, etc.)

Most people live in a reasonable distance to their employer, so where you're working is a major consideration as to where you'll live. Traffic in Charlotte can be a P.I.T.A.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:39 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Rock Hill is bigger than Greenville, but doesn't FEEL bigger (to me, anyway).

I don't consider Greenville, Rock Hill or Fort Mill to be RURAL in the truest sense. There may be small pockets of rural, but it's not truly rural.

If you want a true rural feel but the convenience of being close to Charlotte for possible commuting purposes, consider looking at York, SC. There are also smaller towns just south and west of York as well - McConnells, Smyrna, Hickory Grove (just to name a few).

Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 AM

16 posts, read 19,387 times
Assuming you're in your 20's....
- Rent an apartment near uptown Charlotte and LIVE it up!
- When you're ready for kids buy a house in Ballantyne or Fort Mill.
Or
- move to Greenville where housing in town is still sort of affordable and big amenities are close by in Charlotte and ATL, but has some great local amenities. Best time to visit (again) October; festivals every weekend!

Charlotte will be the most similar to NE PA.
If you want something smaller/slower, Greenville will suit!
I'd choose Greenville over Rock Hill any day. I think Fort Mill will be too slow and too far from stuff for you right now.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 09-02-2016, 08:07 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Rock Hill is bigger than Greenville, but doesn't FEEL bigger (to me, anyway).
The city of Rock Hill is only bigger than the city of Greenville on paper, and that's misleading...just as the city of Charlotte is bigger than the cities of Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Boston only on paper.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The city of Rock Hill is only bigger than the city of Greenville on paper, and that's misleading...just as the city of Charlotte is bigger than the cities of Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Boston only on paper.
Agreed. Given that Charlotte has more land mass, it is much more spread out and make it feel less urban, compared to the cities you mentioned, which may have less population but also significantly less land mass, thus making it feel very crowded and urban.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Agreed. Given that Charlotte has more land mass, it is much more spread out and make it feel less urban, compared to the cities you mentioned, which may have less population but also significantly less land mass, thus making it feel very crowded and urban.
Yep, which is basically the same thing with respect to Rock Hill vs. Greenville. Not to mention, SC's cities are smaller on paper than in real life anyway due to the state's archaic annexation laws.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:16 PM

49 posts, read 231,085 times
Good jobs are available in both locales, York/Mecklenburg & Greenville SMSA dependent upon your degree & work history. Plenty of financial & tech jobs in the Charlotte market, can't speak to Greenville other than it's a vibrant area.

You can find truly rural just south of Rock Hill, east of I-77 & W of US21. if you're looking for small town, Fort Mill would be a great location. As a South Carolinian who's lived in 28209 for 40+ years, we'll be moving into 29708-29715 zip as soon as we can find the location/house we both agree upon. I would not live in Charlotte or North Carolina if I had an option. Much cheaper housing, York County schools, lower gas taxes, auto insurance is a wash. Enjoy the amenities of Charlotte with lower costs.

A more definitive description of your wants/needs/desires will elicit more directed responses.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties