Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 AM

163 posts, read 586,323 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I live in Indian Land SC near Sun City. I am in need of a good pediatrician in this area (my son is 5 weeks old), or the south Charlotte area (preferably close to Ballantyne) ...

Recommendations anyone??

As an aside...I would like someone who is understanding of myself wanting to hold off on vaccinations...I do believe in vaccinating..just not starting at 8 weeks old...I would prefer to wait till my child is school aged (I will hopefully home school...so, not worried about the school system and their requirements) ...Just don't want to deal with being pressured by a doc about my decision....

Edited to say: Also, if the pediatricians office has a sick and well area in the waiting room, and actually enforces this, that would be a bonus!!

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM

26 posts, read 133,997 times
Default Pediatrician

I take my two kids to Kids First Pediatrics. They just opened up their new office at The Fountains in Ballantyne. Here is their new address:

Kids First Pediatrics
8169 Ardrey Kell Road
Charlotte, NC 28277
(704) 542-5540

We live in Fort Mill and drive to this practice because it is amazing. Our sons see Dr. Samarel who is the best pediatrician I have ever come across. We space our son's vaccines. I only do 1 vaccine every 2 months. I told him about my wishes and he is fine with it. We also did not start to vaccinate him until he was 6 months old which he was fine with. I have also refused some vaccines (rotavirus, hep B, Hep A) all of which he was also fine with. He is also allowing us to NOT use pediarix, where there are multiple vaccines in one shot. Instead we are breaking it up into individual vaccines, which he was fine with and very supportive of. I have never had a problem with any of that with him at all, and in fact he said there are quite a number of families in that practice who do the same. We told him we are not vaccinating for MMR or chicken Pox until at least age 4, and again he is ok with it. Now he did tell me he supports vaccines, but he also said he supports and understands without discrimination the parents wish to alter the schedule. With our son he was most concerned with the Prevnar and HiB since these are the most serious for young children under 2 (meningitis), so we started with Prevnar and HiB. My son is finished the Prevnar series (no reactions, still needs booster later on) and had 1 HiB (no reaction) before it was recalled. Still waiting for it to come back on the market. At his 1 year we will start the DTaP, unless the HiB is back on the market in which case we will finish that series first before the DTaP- all of which Dr. Samarel is fine with. I have also heard nothing but wonderful things about the other doctors in the practice as well, but I'm unsure of their stand on the vaccination schedule, but I can't imagine it is any different, as Dr. Samarel is the head of the practice and he supports it. The staff is very friendly and it is a very warm, caring environment. They take time with you and listen. I have been in the office with the doctor for up to 20 minutes at some appts. because I have had questions and concerns. They do not rush you out the door at all, which I love. I was pointed to this practice by many parents in my neighborhood and my friends in the Charlotte area. I cannot recommend it enough. Here is a link to their site.

Kids First Pediatrics

Last edited by jennazer; 02-28-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: phone number to office

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM

163 posts, read 586,323 times
Thank you so much for your reply I set an appt up with Dr Samarel for March 12th!

Glad to hear that he is willing to work with those that have vaccine concerns...Your plan regarding the vaccines is similar to mine..

Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 AM

19 posts, read 70,221 times
you are not the first person I have heard say good things about this practice, I am also in Indian land near Sun City and need a pediatrician for my 5 kids...I am making my son an appointment today, thanks for the tip!

Just moved here and went to another practice in Arboretum, just wasn't impressed, I got the blow off "it's just a cold" and that weekend we ended up in the urgent care clinic. She had the "cold" for 2 weeks and was running a 102 fever that morning. I was disappointed.

I also do not immunize on their schedules, my daughter got all her shots when she was younger in combined doses and when she was 11 mos old was given a flu shot...it caused encephalitis and she was in a coma for 4 days...Praise God she is fully recovered now, no side effects, but it could have been prevented.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 AM

28 posts, read 83,853 times
We go to Providence Pediatrics at Ballantyne. We have seen several different dr's but you can elect to see one consistently if you can wait for an appointment. They do have a well and sick waiting room. On the vacation thing, my daughter is 9 and we are just now REALLY enjoying vacations. Until she was about 5, I felt like a pack mule with all the necessary junk we had to carry just to take care of her! We used to "vacation at home" which was fun and in this area, there are lots of day trips or just getting out for a day. We were members at the local zoo and went there almost weekly

Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 AM

19 posts, read 70,221 times
Well I took the kids to Kids First Peds and LOVED it! I saw Holly Smith, and she was so thorough and explained everything to me. She gave my daughter Zithromax because her ear was terribly infected and her brother got the same because turns out he had walking pneumonia.....My daughter is markedly improved this morning!! smiling, playing running around...just a dramatic difference from yesterday.

The office was clean, we didn't wait long, the rooms were clean and well decorated and the staff was friendly! Wow!
So glad to finally have a Pedi in the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties