Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 02:33 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,440 times

Advertisements

hi all

there is a teaching position I am interested in at dutchman creek middle school in rock hill. Can people give me info on it?
what is the area like?
what is school like?
what is the school system like?
etc?

I would be moving down from maine. suggestions?

scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
hi all

there is a teaching position I am interested in at dutchman creek middle school in rock hill. Can people give me info on it?
what is the area like?
what is school like?
what is the school system like?
etc?

I would be moving down from maine. suggestions?

scott
Well, for one the school has not opened as of yet (scheduled for Aug 2008). I have been in the area several times and while it seems nice enough...hopefully someone that lives in the area that knows better will respond to your question.

Dutchman Creek Middle School (http://www.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/schools/middle/dcms/index.html - broken link)

Old 03-02-2008, 05:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
We have lived in the Newport area over 30 years. Our children attended Mt Gallant Elementary which is across the road from Dutchman Creek MS and the York County Nature Museum is on the other corner. We have watched the construction of Dutchman Creek and it's a really nice facility opening next fall.

If you look at the district map on the website Love posted you will see Dutchman Creek's district in the green. The area around the school is all good neighborhoods and the schools have strong parental support.

I am not familiar with Federal Funding guidelines but if you will look at the map you will notice a small green area in Rock Hill assigned to Dutchman Creek. When my children attended Rock Hill schools it was Title One Funding by the gov't and each school had to have x number of low income, free lunch students. To meet all the requirements that is why that little piece of green on the map will be bussed to Dutchman Creek.

Knowing the elementary schools that will graduate students to Dutchman Creek MS I don't think you will find any problems there.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We have lived in the Newport area over 30 years. Our children attended Mt Gallant Elementary which is across the road from Dutchman Creek MS and the York County Nature Museum is on the other corner. We have watched the construction of Dutchman Creek and it's a really nice facility opening next fall.

If you look at the district map on the website Love posted you will see Dutchman Creek's district in the green. The area around the school is all good neighborhoods and the schools have strong parental support.

I am not familiar with Federal Funding guidelines but if you will look at the map you will notice a small green area in Rock Hill assigned to Dutchman Creek. When my children attended Rock Hill schools it was Title One Funding by the gov't and each school had to have x number of low income, free lunch students. To meet all the requirements that is why that little piece of green on the map will be bussed to Dutchman Creek.

Knowing the elementary schools that will graduate students to Dutchman Creek MS I don't think you will find any problems there.
Thanks for the info. Can you answer a few more questions?where are the kids currently going to middle school? Are they going here from an existing building that is being demolished?Any idea how the school will be setup? Small teams?funding for the schools - pretty stable or are there lots of cuts going on?thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you answer a few more questions?where are the kids currently going to middle school? Are they going here from an existing building that is being demolished?Any idea how the school will be setup? Small teams?funding for the schools - pretty stable or are there lots of cuts going on?thanks
Rock Hill School District use to have the Junior High School System. Elementary schools would have the students through the 6th grade and 7th, 8th and 9th grades would be Rawlinson Road Jr. High, Sullivan or Castle Heights. This system wasn't ideal for the 9th grader in Jr High as they missed out on the four year high school experience.

The district went over to the middle school system Rawlinson Rd, Sullivan and Castle Heights were changed to middle schools. We built a new Castle Heights Middle School and a new Saluda Trail Middle School. Dutchman is our newest middle school. Nothing is being demolished it's just a matter of population explosion and overcrowding in the schools. The district is stable, no cuts.

You can check out this website, Rock Hill is York #3.

School Report Cards

Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 PM

216 posts, read 701,449 times
We just moved here in Oct. My 10 yr old is in 5th grade at Rosewood elementary. He is excited about goin to Dutchman Creek, from what he has said and what we understand from the teachers the school should be great. The zoned neighborhoods seem like very nice areas.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 AM

thanks all. appreciate it.

i have lived in maine 42 years now, and the thought of moving is daunting. I have really grown to hate the long winters and need something different. I have an in-law in charlotte, and absolutely loves it. Visited last summer for a week and enjoyed what we saw, but didn't get into SC.

I am going to apply - see what happens.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:26 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Hi
This Maine girl has been teaching in NC for several years and I saw a posiiton at Dutchman Creek that looked perfect for me. If anyone would like to add any info about the school now that it looks like it has been open for a year, thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,663 times
I am a student at dutchman creek middle school i am in eight grade now and i have gone there for two years this school is the best we are the home of the gators we are the only school is south carolina with a mascot of the gators!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM

174 posts, read 732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkee96 View Post
I am a student at dutchman creek middle school i am in eight grade now and i have gone there for two years this school is the best we are the home of the gators we are the only school is south carolina with a mascot of the gators!
That's what I'm talkin about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties