Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM

245 posts, read 955,958 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved to York County, SC and am in need of a good curly-hair stylist. I have scoured the threads for the Fort Mill/Rock Hill/York area and only see mention of the Ouidad salons near Steele Creek and Pineville (which I've already gone to in the past having lived in Concord, NC and I am not 100% blown away by that "carve and slice" method of hair cutting plus their $150 price tag which seems crazy!). There is a girl I used to go to up in Mooresville, NC ($80 for a curly cut) and there is another one in Charlotte, NC on Sharon Amity that I went to once ($100 for a curly cut) that do the Deva cut method (see I have tried alot of the curly cuts) but I was hoping for someone not so far away that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and won't slaughter my curls. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 PM

139 posts, read 360,047 times
I like Maria at the new Richard Brent salon on Pleasant Road by Gold Hill. The rate for a cut isn't cheap, but she knows curly hair and won't leave you looking like a bushy tree

Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle View Post
I like Maria at the new Richard Brent salon on Pleasant Road by Gold Hill. The rate for a cut isn't cheap, but she knows curly hair and won't leave you looking like a bushy tree
Hi Kelle!

Does she do a dry cut or a wet traditional layer cut? Does she blow your hair out straight or attempt to dry your curls with minimal touching of your hair?

I have one stylist in Concord, NC that does a wet layered cut pretty decently (she herself has curly hair) but she insists on touching my hair throughout the drying process even though she uses a diffuser. I'm not sure what it is with her since she KNOWS curls, but she likes to keep touching it as it is drying. I turn out quite frizzy and have to go immediately home and redo my curls. I would like to walk out of a salon and feel like I don't have to redo what I just paid them to do.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
Following this thread because I have the same issue.
In my 3 years here I have yet to find someone that knows how to cut and style naturally curly hair. I had a guy in NJ that used the Deva Curl method and he was AMAZING. I haven't found anyone like him since. I'm willing to pay $100 for a haircut as long as it's done right and I don't feel like a fluffed up cotton ball right afterwards.

Last edited by SCCoqui; 06-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Following this thread because I have the same issue.
In my 3 years here I have yet to find someone that knows how to cut and style naturally curly hair. I had a guy in NJ that used the Deva Curl method and he was AMAZING. I haven't found anyone like him since. I'm willing to pay $100 for a haircut as long as it's done right and I don't feel like a fluffed up cotton ball right afterwards.
SCCoqui, there is a Deva stylist in Charlotte if you don't mind traveling. I went to her one time and wasn't totally blown away but she was better by far than some other who know nothing about handling curly hair. I'd consider trying her again if I can't find someone. I had my first Deva cut in Pennsylvania and I loved it. If you are interested in the Deva stylist in Charlotte I will link her salon below, her name is Joy and she is the owner/operator of the salon and it's located on Sharon Amity Road. Please report back if you try her out and how you like the cut.

joyfully curly - Joyfully Curly

There is also someone in Cornelius, NC that has been taught the Deva method but she doesn't advertise Deva cuts, she does her own dry cut thing based off the Deva method (see her link below, I went to her for cut and color for about 3 years and stopped due to my move to SC but she was very good).

http://april-walker.com/

I have also had several Ouidad cuts, not sure if you're familiar with the Ouidad "carve and slice" method of cutting curly hair? But, there are several Ouidad certified salons in Charlotte, three to be exact since I just went to Ouidad's website to search salons. Personally, years ago I went to the Blis Salon on Rea Road (they were the only Ouidad certified salon around at the time) and I had Nicole "carve and slice" my hair, (I know it sounds like they're slaughtering your hair but trust me it worked well, my hair was alot thicker then so not sure I want that now) BUT buyer beware it's very pricey, if you go I'd skip on the then $50 conditioning treatment (unless your hair is truly fried) because the cut was then $100. I will provide a link below.

https://www.ouidad.com/salon-locator

Please report back if you try any of these salons, how your hair turned out, the good, the bad and the ugly.....we curly gals need someone good.

Last edited by butterfly57; 06-07-2017 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Added links and add'l info.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info! I tried contacting Joyfully Curly when I first moved in but she was booked solid. I've scheduled a consultation with Blis this Friday to see what they can do for me. Depending on what they say I may give Joyfully Curly a call again.
Because of medical treatments my hair is short now and I'm trying to grow it out. I'm at the "curly bob" stage and am constantly wearing headbands to avoid looking like Kramer from Seinfeld.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 PM

I read the "rules" for booking an appointment with Joy at Joyfully curly and wow, I would not pass. She wants all curly girls to read the handbook or have had a curly cut before or stop using silicone products for a few weeks and/or be using the Deva line of products. I am assuming she is so slammed busy that she has to impose these "rules". The last time I went to Blis Salon was 2010. They didn't change anything about my style just gave me their specialized cut. April Walker is good up in Cornelius but it's quite a drive that's why I stopped going. I had gotten just a regular layered cut last fall that is growing out and i I'm getting the dreaded pyramid look.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Wow, that's pretty strict. My DevaCurl stylist in NJ also had a list of things not to do before the appointment but he wasn't as bad.
They want to see your hair in it's natural state, so no pony tails or headbands before the appointment and no hair gel. They sculpt your hair and cut it while dry and shape it much like you would hedges or a plant. It removed a lot of bulk and avoided the poodle look while getting really nice layers. I'm emailing with her now to see if I can get an appointment. I really need a haircut before the end of the month!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
Wow, that's pretty strict. My DevaCurl stylist in NJ also had a list of things not to do before the appointment but he wasn't as bad.
They want to see your hair in it's natural state, so no pony tails or headbands before the appointment and no hair gel. They sculpt your hair and cut it while dry and shape it much like you would hedges or a plant. It removed a lot of bulk and avoided the poodle look while getting really nice layers. I'm emailing with her now to see if I can get an appointment. I really need a haircut before the end of the month!
Any luck with getting an appointment? Yep, I totally understand the dry cut method and how they pretty much prune our hair like a Bonzai tree, which is actually a good thing when they know what they're doing.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM

I was able to get an appointment at the end of the month.
I really recommend getting the book that she recommends. Even if you're not going to follow their cutting method, it's an excellent resource for understanding curly hair. I've started using the "No-Poo" method last week and have noticed a considerable improvement in my hair texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties