Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 27,148 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Recently relocated to Rock Hill area and after the first full two weeks of living in the new house we're getting 20+ planes flying in from the South East, banking to a direct line over our property (my 2500 ft driveway practically lines up as a runway for them) every two hours (near Lesslie Elementary School). It was non-stop Sunday and Monday from 7 AM to 10 PM, although today they seemed to have taken a different route.

Anyone else experiencing this? All I can say is that this was one of the reasons we moved out of Charlotte... to get away from the noise and chaos of poor infrastructure and growth management.

Here are some articles I have found regarding this matter.

Catawba Heights man still fighting airport noise - I am reaching out to David Moore, who apparently has been fighting this battle since 2014/2015.

Residents voice concern over plane noise to FAA - | WBTV Charlotte

Increased Noise and Air Pollution from CLT Airplanes - (This is how I found this site)

Charlotte airport updating jet noise maps | Charlotte Observer

Belmont man

New U.S. Department of Transportation map shows noise from highways, airports in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer - This heat map of sound is inaccurate… the amount of noise goes much further south and east well into district 5 of York county and into Lancaster county.

I have reached out to our representative in District 5 in York County in order to try to get some local government support for this issue to take to our state and federal representatives and will provide more feedback here once I get responses from them.

In the meantime, please feel free to fill out a noise complaint on CLT's website, I do almost daily: [url="http://www.planenoise.com/cltairportnoise" /url] Submit a Complaint | Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Also if anyone has contact information for David Moore of Catawba Heights who has been fighting this since around 2014/2015 I would like to request that you pass it along to me or have him get in touch with me so we can coordinate our efforts.

Thank you all in advance.

Ben

Last edited by drazgo; 05-09-2017 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
Would you recommend they shut down the airport or just move the flight path over someone else's property?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:37 AM

I am not recommending anything at this point. I am merely seeking others experiences and more information.

I know the internet is a great place to be anonymous and adversarial without real world repercussions, but lets try to be somewhat civil about it.

But if you want my opinion, it is this:

There is a certain expectation that if one buys property near the airport, they have to live with the noise it creates.

Likewise, if someone buys property 30 to 40 miles away from the airport, the expectation is that 30 planes aren't flying over their house at sub 10,000 ft in rapid succession multiple times of the day and into the night.

CLT has between 600-700 flights (departures) and about as many arrivals, and they're looking to add more. I don't have a problem with growth, but when Charlotte is dumping their problems on their neighbors then its our problem. Is it not so?

Cheers

*I will add one more thing. The Metroplex plan that CLT is apparently implementing/implemented, the stated goal was dispersion of noise so its not concentrated over any one area for an extended length of time. 4-5 days a week for the entire day over one specific area is not dispersion. What they've done is extend the flight path out and made it winding to allow for fuel conservation... but this means they fly at lower altitudes than they normally would on other more direct paths. Catering to the aviation industry for paltry fuel costs over entire swaths of counties and people.

Last edited by drazgo; 05-09-2017 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: updated # of flights

Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
You didn't research this before you moved in? Rock Hill lies directly below the runways. You can submit complaints, but with that airport expanding and serving 40 million people, I don't know how easy it will be to get them to start changing paths, especially considering plane safety. If they change one path, they'll probably have to adjust them all, or most of them.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM

The paths only changes recently as per the one of the articles I posted. I was already locked in on a close of a house. Prior to the new plan they flew higher and on more direct approaches.

And you know what they say... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Anyhow, I am not here to get into internet battles with you guys. I simply just wanted some feedback regarding other peoples experiences.

Cheers

Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazgo View Post
The paths only changes recently as per the one of the articles I posted. I was already locked in on a close of a house. Prior to the new plan they flew higher and on more direct approaches.

And you know what they say... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Anyhow, I am not here to get into internet battles with you guys. I simply just wanted some feedback regarding other peoples experiences.

Cheers
I was not trying to battle you. I just know many people like to move near an airport, then complain about the airport. Your point makes sense.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:30 PM

No worries, I've been a consultant for 12+ years... I know airports, planes, etc more than I care to

Whenever we visited the house during inspections etc we never were there when the air traffic was where it is now. Maybe the occasional plane passing over 77, which is to our west.

We closed at the end of March, but weren't able to move in until two weeks ago. April was when CLT put in its Metroplex dispersion plan... so even if we were aware before hand, we would have had to specifically research it and even then wouldn't know exactly where the traffic was going to go.

We're 30+ miles out... we didn't think it would have been much of an issue. And I don't mind the occasional plane every now and then... but 20 in the span of 10 minutes all throughout the day is too much.

We literally cannot have a normal volume conversation on our front porch when they put these plans on approach.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,054 times
We get it in fort mill also.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Have you noticed an increase within the last couple of months or has it been pretty steady? For how long?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:35 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I've lived in the area for 11 years and it did not take long for me to stop hearing the airplane traffic anymore. It is rare that my ears acknowledge that sound. It's pure white noise now.

But then, I used to live near JFK airport in NYC, so this is nothing compared to that airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties