Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,554 times

Advertisements

I don't see how a Walmart will ruin the landscape anymore than a trailer park already does. Just my opinion...

So before I get attacked, I realize that even they have to live somewhere too, but it looks terrible when they are just literally thrown into the grass and trees with no roads or anything and the junk just piles up outside. I have seen nice trailer parks here and elsewhere - it is like a subdivision with paved roads and driveways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I don't see how a Walmart will ruin the landscape anymore than a trailer park already does. Just my opinion...

So before I get attacked, I realize that even they have to live somewhere too, but it looks terrible when they are just literally thrown into the grass and trees with no roads or anything and the junk just piles up outside. I have seen nice trailer parks here and elsewhere - it is like a subdivision with paved roads and driveways.
Well, at least when trailer parks are present, some trees remain as opposed to a massive blacktop that creates and Urban Heat Island Effect. Curiously enough, trailer parks seem to produce a more "community feeling" than any suburban neighborhood.

Also, we should stop such disastrous sprawl that eats away more and more land. You would think that with current gas prices there would be more of an effort to make shopping and housing more pedestrian oriented instead of having to take cars everywhere. Alas, the more people who move into the area the worse the "saturation" gets, and the worse the air pollution and traffic gets...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Okay...go ahead....call me crazy...but it is Only 5 miles to the recently opened WalMart in Tega Cay to the property that WalMart just purchased off of Flint Rd and 21 in the Fort Mill Township area.

Here is another thing to think about...I believe that area in question (where the new WalMart is be built - Flint/21)...is within Fort Mill Township (unincorporated portion of York County)...so what that means is...no telling what it will look like, or what hours it will be open, etc.

I've said it before..and I'll say it again...you folks need to be careful what you wish for.
So that means increased sales tax revenue for Ft. Mill township?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM

116 posts, read 430,806 times
I agree with the trailer park thing. Some of them are really well kept and nice and the people take pride in where they live. Not everyone can afford a Saussy Burbank house, but that doesn't mean you can't manicure your lawn and upkeep your land and home!
I remember once helping an old man move to Lancaster, PA and he moved into a retirement community with lots of modular homes and trailers and it was awesome looking! I was shocked.
Then you have these other ones that look just like junk yards.
I've seen regular houses that look like junk yards too though - I AM from Brooklyn. LOL

Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM

116 posts, read 430,806 times
I agree with the trailer park thing. Some of them are really well kept and nice and the people take pride in where they live. Not everyone can afford a Saussy Burbank house, but that doesn't mean you can't manicure your lawn and upkeep your land and home!
I remember once helping an old man move to Lancaster, PA and he moved into a retirement community with lots of modular homes and trailers and it was awesome looking! I was shocked.
Then you have these other ones that look just like junk yards.
I've seen regular houses that look like junk yards too though - I AM from Brooklyn. LOL
I'm all for Wal-Mart but I think one is enough, and probably the one in Tega Cay is close enough for ANYONE in the area if they want to go.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So that means increased sales tax revenue for Ft. Mill township?
No..if located in Fort Mill Township...it goes to York County (not just the Fort Mill area).

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 PM

146 posts, read 572,669 times
I think Walmart has uncovered what appears to be gem. York County is way too easy. We're in Lake Wylie and we too will not see any of that additional sales tax revenue. It goes into the overall county budget because we are unincorporated. Sucks because we'll be the ones who have to fight the traffic, etc. and be most affected by it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties