Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:48 AM

34 posts, read 33,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So, I just finally registered on city-data today. But I’ve been reading everyone’s posts for a few years now. Right now I’m planning on moving to the Fort Mill area in May next year. I’m moving with my fiancé and my two boys. Ages 2 and 5. We went down to Fort Mill last year and loved it. However I know a lot of people are moving to that area and from what I’ve been reading and it’s starting to get congested down there. We’re moving because it’s way too expensive in NY (Long Island) and we just can’t afford it here anymore. Also the warmer weather is also a nice plus since I hate the cold 🙂 I know the Fort Mill schools are the highest rated schools in the area. But I also know that Clover schools are highly rated also. (My oldest son has high functioning Autism so a good school is a MUST.) I didn’t have time to look at Clover when I went down there to visit last year but I do know someone who used to live there that says it’s a cute little town. I’m more than likely going to be getting transferred with my job to Pineville NC I know that the commute is a little far but if someone can just give my any info on Clover that would be a big help! Are there any stores near by or would I have to drive 15 minutes just to do some shopping? And also how is the crime there? It seems pretty safe but the crime statistics seem kind of high? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:02 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
You would be much better served in Fort Mill/Tega Cay

Old 11-25-2017, 06:18 PM

351 posts, read 656,651 times
I don't think I would consider Clover when working in Pineville, although Fort Mill is definitely congested. My son is high functioning autism and he graduated from Nation Ford. He did ok there, but I will say Nation Ford is known more for all its programs and AP classes. It makes it hard considering what place you graduate in the class and your ability to get the Life scholarship at a 4 year school (must graduate in top 30% of class) because so many of the kids there have above 4.0 gpas due to taking AP classes. My son had to start at the technical school with the Life and then transfer to a 4 year. My daughter who is an average student will have the same issue.

I know Clover is a good school district, I just don't know about their special needs programs. Have you checked into Indian Land too since that would be a closer drive to Pineville? FM school district wanted to retest my son and said they didn't believe he was on the spectrum, but were willing to keep his IEP in place. That's why I say he did ok, but I wouldn't say he exceled with the IEP he had in place. One positive is there are so many transplants that the kids are all super nice to eachother. They were very welcoming with my kids.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM

158 posts, read 180,648 times
Just wanted to say congrats.

My wife and I are moving to the Lake Wylie area in 5 weeks from Iowa. I took a job in Rock Hill.

Happy hunting!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 AM

I checked into Indian Land a little bit. But I got the impression that Fort Mill had better schools so I stopped researching on it. I’ll check it out though. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 11,228 times
A Clover to Pineville commute would be in excess of 1 hour each way during standard rush hour times. Depending on your budget, I would consider the East side of Fort Mill (East of I-77). With the new Southern Bypass (and a few shortcuts on some back roads) the commute to Pineville is much easier than it used to be when I moved here 18 years ago!

Old 01-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks. I’d love to move to Fort Mill, we loved the area when we were down there to look around. however.. I don’t want to pay too much more than 1300 a month to rent a house.. which seems hard to find in Fort Mill these days. 😕

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Clover's a cute little town--growing but not uncontrollably like Fort Mill and Lake Wylie. Prices are on the increase, but are not the highest out there. 1300/month could get you a rental home in Clover proper, but likely not Lake Wylie (which shares the same zip code and is also part of the Clover School District)...the secret is out about York County in general, with its proximity to Charlotte, and the housing/apartment prices steadily have risen, as a result. The Clover general area is also a bit more rural, especially west of town. East of town, there's more building going on as you approach Lake Wylie. Clover has great schools as well that have a strong reputation locally and statewide (including their Special Education programs), without the uncontrollable growth that seems to be taking place in Fort Mill. Clover is still a one high school town (though that will probably change in the next few years as the high school has expanded into the middle school that used to be right beside it, making for a really big campus. Much of the rise in district size is due to Lake Wylie, which is growing very, very quickly). Clover has little shops in its downtown, as well as some local restaurants. It has a couple of grocery stores. It's your typical small town. More shopping options are in Gastonia, which is about 15-20 minutes away, and Rock Hill, which is about 30 minutes away. Steele Creek is also about 30 minutes away, but depends on traffic. That drive to Pineville won't be fun, if you are driving during rush hour. Traffic gets heavier as you approach Lake Wylie and of course over the bridge into Charlotte. Crime in Clover is a joke--it's a safe town with a disproportionate crime rate since the town only has like 5,000 people, so any reported crime will have a bigger impact than Rock Hill or even Fort Mill or York. The only crime you'll run into is if you're seeking it, so most everyone will not experience whatever is going on. Besides the drive to and from Pineville, it's really a good option for one who doesn't mind driving a little way to buy clothes or a nice sit-down meal and who desires great and solid schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties