Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 AM

4 posts, read 20,382 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area need additional information regarding youth athletics in Fort Mill. I am blessed with a nine year-old son and and seven year-old daughter. I know of the programs between the YMCA, Steele Creek, and also Leroy Springs. I am more curious about what people think of each of these programs. I have heard varying comments from other parents and would like additional opinions because I really want to find a positive program for my children as they begin to find which activities they truly enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb68 View Post
I am new to the area need additional information regarding youth athletics in Fort Mill. I am blessed with a nine year-old son and and seven year-old daughter. I know of the programs between the YMCA, Steele Creek, and also Leroy Springs. I am more curious about what people think of each of these programs. I have heard varying comments from other parents and would like additional opinions because I really want to find a positive program for my children as they begin to find which activities they truly enjoy.
We have tried several places (not Steele Creek though). When my kids were younger and still figuring out what they liked...I usually looked for the place that was cheapest (cause this sports stuff can get expensive....fast!!)

There are also some programs that are run thru the city (for example Tega Cay...soccer is BIG here), or there's Dance classes that can be taken, several local churches have sports programs, for your daughter there is a wonderful program that called Girls on the Run (for older girls: Girls on Track), Gymnastics, Rock Hill Rec. has a great year round swim team, and/or several other locations have seasonal swim teams (along with swim lessons), LaCrosse, Winthrop University has some excellent summer programs, etc.

Do either one of your children have something in particular they are interested in trying yet?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Leroy Springs recreational activities for Lancaster Co., Fort Mill & Chester Townships & surrounding counties in S. Carolina-Leroy Springs & Co.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,249 times
I would offer that Leroy Springs is very poorly organized. I have coached with them for two seasons and both have been filled with problems. I finally wrote the powers that be and while they have added a guy to run the soccer program and he is doing great we were so far into the season ( well actually behind) he could not fix many problems that were already in play . Problems from ordering of uniforms to age cut off dates being differnt on three seperate pieces of paper. Nobody at the front desk had a clue what was happening. I am not saying to write off the complex just be careful. I have not yet decided wether I will stick with them again next year or if I will move my kids sports to Tega Cay. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 AM

4 posts, read 20,382 times
Thanks for the information. I am pretty good at finding information about programs. My difficulty is finding good information. I will probably sign my daughter up for dance classes at Eddie Mabry Talent next year because I have heard many good things about his program. With regards to my son, I do not know where the best place for him will be. Right now, he enjoys playing baseball and football.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb68 View Post
Thanks for the information. I am pretty good at finding information about programs. My difficulty is finding good information. I will probably sign my daughter up for dance classes at Eddie Mabry Talent next year because I have heard many good things about his program. With regards to my son, I do not know where the best place for him will be. Right now, he enjoys playing baseball and football.
I too have heard good things about Eddie Mabry (at Leroy Springs). I actually have one into dance now..but it is not affiliated with the Y, or any other city or rec. programs.

In the past we have also went thru Leroy Springs, the Fort Mill YMCA, and Winthrop University for other sports activities...but not baseball, soccer, or football (sorry..hopefully someone else will chime in).

We personally have not been involved with the baseball progarm in Tega Cay...yet I know several people that have and they have had only positive things to say about it.

Now should your kids ever change directions into either basketball, swim team, or running programs...look me up and I'll share with you what I know.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 29,412 times
I work at the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex. Once again, as I have mentioned in another post, I want to thank everyone for their comments. I am so thankful that I have found this forum, as a learning tool, and also as a place for people to freely voice their opinions and experiences. Regarding the programs we offer at the Complex, our athletic information can now be found at: Home Page. If you are seeking additional information, please contact me through this forum. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,017 times
I have 2 children - Soccer/Wrestling/Cross-country - we play in Tega Cay when not playing at School and dance/tumble - Center Stage Dance in Tega Cay (past Lowes foods going into Tega Cay on Right) We danced somewhere else prior to Center Stage, but it wasn't a good fit with my daughter.

Just keep in mind not every place, coach or teacher is a fit for every student. You have to find what works the best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties