Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 04:41 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times

Advertisements

I did another test with nothing open but the browser to run the test. The 90 is higher than the previous test but look at the red arrows on what a speed of 90 should get us.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Comporium's new streaming internet & TV-wuzmfdcxef.jpg5555.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 06:19 AM

186 posts, read 334,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I did another test with nothing open but the browser to run the test. The 90 is higher than the previous test but look at the red arrows on what a speed of 90 should get us.
In theory it should. Most streaming devices (firestick, chromecast, etc.) are only 100mb even if they are hardwired directly into the network as they only need to about 5 to 10mb down to stream in HD (1080) and 4K streaming needs around 25mb down. So they don't use a whole lot of bandwidth.

So if you are getting 90mb down, then you should be able to stream to multiple devices (within reason) at the same time. So what it is saying is true, you should be able to stream just fine.

You just need to remember that streaming picture quality is all over the place. For example Youtube TV I get pretty decent picture quality watching shows live, though on some shows dark scenes become pixelated. I didn't have this issue with cable. Though when I stream stuff via Prime, I don't have the dark scene pixelation as bad if at all. It all comes down to the tech specs that the streaming service is using for the feed and by tech specs I'm talking how they compressed the video and other things that can affect the video quality.

Psy

Old 06-25-2022, 12:00 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Are you using a VPN?

Old 06-25-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Are you using a VPN?

Just the basic cable modem hookup. The coaxial cable coming into the house is about 6 feet. Then a splitter to the cable box (that disconnected) and around the corner adding another 15 feet of coaxial to the modem.
They can control our internet speeds by tampering with the number of people on a server = I think.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
In theory it should. Most streaming devices (firestick, chromecast, etc.) are only 100mb even if they are hardwired directly into the network as they only need to about 5 to 10mb down to stream in HD (1080) and 4K streaming needs around 25mb down. So they don't use a whole lot of bandwidth.
So if you are getting 90mb down, then you should be able to stream to multiple devices (within reason) at the same time. So what it is saying is true, you should be able to stream just fine.
You just need to remember that streaming picture quality is all over the place. For example Youtube TV I get pretty decent picture quality watching shows live, though on some shows dark scenes become pixelated. I didn't have this issue with cable. Though when I stream stuff via Prime, I don't have the dark scene pixelation as bad if at all. It all comes down to the tech specs that the streaming service is using for the feed and by tech specs I'm talking how they compressed the video and other things that can affect the video quality.
Psy
This is about internet only as far as cost. No bundling.
We pay $83 for what is called high speed internet. Comporium told us there are two faster speeds that we can upgrade to for an extra cost.

Questions for consumers
What are those two higher speeds and the cost?
What are the internet only plans that are lower cost than our $83? If there is only one then they have four different internet only plans, speeds, cost.

Image as of today with one large program running and 6 browsers open.

There are no higher speed plans that cost more than ours. Why they say we can upgrade to two faster speeds?
https://shop.comporium.com/browse?services=INT
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Comporium's new streaming internet & TV-untitled.jpgtre.jpg  

Last edited by howard555; 08-29-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
This is about internet only as far as cost. No bundling.
We pay $83 for what is called high speed internet. Comporium told us there are two faster speeds that we can upgrade to for an extra cost.

Questions for consumers
What are those two higher speeds and the cost?
What are the internet only plans that are lower cost than our $83? If there is only one then they have four different internet only plans, speeds, cost.

Image as of today with one large program running and 6 browsers open.

There are no higher speed plans that cost more than ours. Why they say we can upgrade to two faster speeds?
https://shop.comporium.com/browse?services=INT
From what I can see using my address, they have:

Zipstream: 1GB down 35mb up @ $102.94
Elite Internet: 750MB down 20mb Up @ $92.94
Ultra Internet: 600MB down 10mb Up @ $82.94
Standard: 400MB down 5 MB Up @ $72.94
Essential: 100MB down 3 MB Up @ $49.94

Again this is what they are showing for my address as for packages. Mattering on the area, not all the packages are available for everyone. For example, the Zipstream service is limited to certain areas only and if you have fiber running to your house, then you can get 1gb both up and down stream.

We pay for the Ultra plan and have no issues streaming to two different TV's in the house and normally have 8 devices connected to my network. When I run speed tests, I will get anywhere from 500mb to 650 on the download speed and somewhere between 16 and 23 on the upload. It just matters on the site that I use for the testing and the time I run the test.

Psy

Old 08-30-2022, 08:05 AM

We have Ultra based on those prices. Here was a speed test we ran yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Comporium's new streaming internet & TV-1c09b58fb76c9e7a86ae58161b84175f.jpg  

Old 08-31-2022, 05:38 AM

I ran a few speed tests yesterday when I got home. At around 5:15pm yesterday I was getting 646 down and 11.2 up.

At around 9pm, I was getting 626 down and 10.59 up.

I'm currently paying for 600 down and 10 up.

Psy

Old 08-31-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
I ran a few speed tests yesterday when I got home. At around 5:15pm yesterday I was getting 646 down and 11.2 up.
At around 9pm, I was getting 626 down and 10.59 up.
I'm currently paying for 600 down and 10 up.
Psy
You're getting about 6 times what we are for the same price. Is there a gentle way to ask for a speed check without them using their tools to decrease our speeds? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
You're getting about 6 times what we are for the same price. Is there a gentle way to ask for a speed check without them using their tools to decrease our speeds? Thanks.
Can't really help you there. There is a reason why all the ads for all the internet providers, use the term "Up to" when they are saying the speed you should get. Since there are so many factors that can cause the speeds to vary, even at homes on the same street or in the same neighborhood. That way the providers can say that they are offering what they advertised.

The only thing you can really do is give them a call and have them send someone out to check the feed and see what the speed is out of the line, but if they can't find anything wrong, they will want to charge you.

If you have any neighbors close by, you can ask them to check their internet speeds and see what they are getting. If a neighbor right next door is getting 300+ and you are getting 90+ download speeds, then the problem could be in the line going to your house or the actual cable modem.

Just way too many unknowns to say what can be causing the slow speed.

Psy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties