Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 AM

48 posts, read 166,502 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a weekend at Andrew Jackson State Park in Lancaster, SC. Just have to say that it is a beautiful park. The entire camping area was shaded and very quiet! My family and I had a great time. First thing we did was set up our tent. Throughout the weekend, we rented one of their little john boats and fished. We went on a hike on their nature trail. We visited the museum and the old school house. We played on the playground equipment. We brought our kids ride on toys, bubbles and side walk chalk. We sat by the camp fire and just enjoyed being together and the outdoors! We sat inside the tent and played games until our two year old kept stealing the game!

The park is small, yes, but that is what I liked most about it!

I just wanted to share that this is a great little place to spend camping right in our own back yard!

We will definitely be back! Although our neighbor campers were probably not very happy when our 2 year old had a major crying attack about 2 in the morning!! LOL!!

We went camping all of the time when we lived in Oklahoma but none of the parks compared to this one! They were hot, no shade, loud drunken people and not very enjoyable for a family!

I am very glad we found this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I pass this state park on my way to work and was always curious about it. Thanks hipmama for the helpful review. How are their lavatory facilities...I hate camps that just have porta potties so knowing they have flushing toilets would encourage me to visit. Also, are there any pet rules at all if we do decide to take our dog?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmama View Post
We just returned from a weekend at Andrew Jackson State Park in Lancaster, SC. Just have to say that it is a beautiful park. The entire camping area was shaded and very quiet! My family and I had a great time. First thing we did was set up our tent. Throughout the weekend, we rented one of their little john boats and fished. We went on a hike on their nature trail. We visited the museum and the old school house. We played on the playground equipment. We brought our kids ride on toys, bubbles and side walk chalk. We sat by the camp fire and just enjoyed being together and the outdoors! We sat inside the tent and played games until our two year old kept stealing the game!

The park is small, yes, but that is what I liked most about it!

I just wanted to share that this is a great little place to spend camping right in our own back yard!

We will definitely be back! Although our neighbor campers were probably not very happy when our 2 year old had a major crying attack about 2 in the morning!! LOL!!

We went camping all of the time when we lived in Oklahoma but none of the parks compared to this one! They were hot, no shade, loud drunken people and not very enjoyable for a family!

I am very glad we found this one!

Nice review hipmama! That is a great park! Did you happen to know that there's also camping at Anne Springs Close Greenway? (pretty primitive though). Aso while I've been here before (yet haven't camped) Kings Moutain is also suppose to be a great place for camping close to home.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
I was wondering about Andrew Jackson too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
We have had family reunions at Andrew Jackson State Park. The park has a great bluegrass festival every year.

Chester State Park, Kings Mountain State Park, and Lake Wateree State Park all have camping and lots of fun things to do. So many of the locations are nearby and you won't spend all your vacation money on gasoline to get there. They are great for weekend get-aways too.

We have camped at most of the state parks in SC and some of the county owned parks too.

SC State Parks

Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM

48 posts, read 166,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I pass this state park on my way to work and was always curious about it. Thanks hipmama for the helpful review. How are their lavatory facilities...I hate camps that just have porta potties so knowing they have flushing toilets would encourage me to visit. Also, are there any pet rules at all if we do decide to take our dog?
The wash facilities were not too dirty, really. Flushing toliets, not porta potties and running water. Hot showers, too! The only thing was the women's rest room did not have any paper towels or a hand dryer. So, I just took a hand towel with me every time I went. Although, my husband said the men's rest room had paper towels. Go figure!!

As far as dogs. I saw a lot of people with them all on leashes. So, I am assuming that was the rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties