Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 PM

75 posts, read 222,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We (sister, son and I) are hoping our house is going to sell very soon.

Question: How did it work out for you when moving in regard to jobs and getting a mortgage? Our plan has been when we finally do get a firm bite on our house to fly to Fort Mill and find a house. Do we need to find a new job while we're there too? That seems a rather insane trip! Our current mortgage company says you have to have your first pay check in hand at the closing. That would be quite an accomplishment! Did you end up having to rent a furnished place and put your stuff in storage - then get new jobs as soon as possible before the closing?
Unfortunately, my sister and I both presently work at pharmaceutical companies and they're don't seem to be any in your area - so we can't transfer. (not that we're not both ready for something new).
Thanks so much for any help/information you can provide!
Gayle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,436,882 times
It helps to have a job when closing. There used to be Lenier Pharm in Fort Mill which manufactured many if not most generic drugs in the US. They went under due to recalls and not following FDA guidelines.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,566 times
Hey there Gayle -

Can't really help you with your questions in regard to the mortgage situation (as we came out here on a company relo) but I was going to suggest you pose this question (or do a search) on the Charlotte board as I know this question has come up in the past.

Also there does happen to be "some" pharmaceutical companies in the area (Charlotte/Fort Mill)...but with that said...the jobs here are very competitive. Do you happen to be looking for sales, mfg, or distribution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgayle View Post
Hi,
We (sister, son and I) are hoping our house is going to sell very soon.

Question: How did it work out for you when moving in regard to jobs and getting a mortgage? Our plan has been when we finally do get a firm bite on our house to fly to Fort Mill and find a house. Do we need to find a new job while we're there too? That seems a rather insane trip! Our current mortgage company says you have to have your first pay check in hand at the closing. That would be quite an accomplishment! Did you end up having to rent a furnished place and put your stuff in storage - then get new jobs as soon as possible before the closing?
Unfortunately, my sister and I both presently work at pharmaceutical companies and they're don't seem to be any in your area - so we can't transfer. (not that we're not both ready for something new).
Thanks so much for any help/information you can provide!
Gayle

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,172,281 times
Some of my clients have closed while still employed in their present location -- then they give notice and move so the mortgage is not affected. It's an extra trip (and if they have to stay with their current employer for a couple of weeks afterwards it can be logistically difficult) but they have been able to close. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM

201 posts, read 599,091 times
Hi Gayle,
We got the jobs here first and moved here (stayed with a family member), sold our house, put everything in storage and waited for our house to be built before we closed. Process took about 5 months. Our mortgage company did require proof of employment in the area ( we both got letters from our new employers) and we had to fax the mortgage co. pay stubs dated within 30 days of closing. We didn't have any problems with the mortgage or closing...just lots of paperwork to keep up with.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 PM

163 posts, read 586,804 times
My husband and I sold our house first in NJ...then moved to Charlotte..He did not have a job yet, but was working with headhunters...We decided to rent first..get a feel for the area..

The only requirement that the place we rented from had, was that we had to have 6 months worth of rent in the bank...job was not necessary.

Took my husband 6 weeks to land a job in accounting..

hth

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM

75 posts, read 222,452 times
Thank you to everybody that responded with your experiences. Its going to be tough to have to rent and put our stuff in storage. Hopefully we can find a house we like and jobs quickly! I wish I had a friend or relative to stay with like you did greenville! Hope to make friends soon though! Did any of you have pets when renting?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 AM

163 posts, read 586,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgayle View Post
Thank you to everybody that responded with your experiences. Its going to be tough to have to rent and put our stuff in storage. Hopefully we can find a house we like and jobs quickly! I wish I had a friend or relative to stay with like you did greenville! Hope to make friends soon though! Did any of you have pets when renting?
I rented in Atkins Circle....pets are allowed...I rented a townhouse...so, no need for storage rental (used the garage)

Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM

107 posts, read 319,771 times
My family took a leap of faith when we moved down here last year. My wife and I quit our jobs and sold our house then moved. We had debated moving from NY to NC for awhile and decided to make the move while we could still get a good return on our home. Luckily, we were able to sell our home within a month and find a job within a week of being in the Charlotte area.

That said I have met more than a few couples who have bought homes quickly and ended up regretting the decision. My advice is to rent first and get a feel for the area prior to buying. A home is a significant investment and as with all investment one should really understand what they are buying into. Schools, crime rate, population density, all of this and more a factors to consider. BTW City-data is a great repository for this info Moreover, you want to be able to travel in the towns and get a feel for the people and attitudes that best fit your style.

As for storage, there are many places you can use. Some apartment complexes have garage spaces that you can rent in addition to the apartment. One suggestion here is to Google the apartment name and get reviews and feedback. I can't think of the sites but there are a few out there that do contain reviews that are worthwhile.

We have didn't have pets but there seems to be a pet friendly attitude in many places we've visited. Therefore, I doubt you will have a hard time finding an apartment that will suit your needs. Be mindful though that you may be charged extra.

I wish you luck in your transition and I'm sure that you and your sister should be able to find jobs in the area. Perhaps expanding your scope outside of your sphere may increase the likelihood of you finding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties