Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,139 times

Advertisements

The cost of housing is not as comparable to the Dallas suburbs as it may look online. We relocated from Dallas also and were surprised by what you get for the money in Charlotte and surrounding areas (less). Some noticeable differences were: most houses aren't all brick here (depending on area of course but not like your Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc etc), the standard options (if you look at new construction) aren't as "upgraded" as some of the homes we shopped and/or built in Texas, a privacy fence will most likely not come with the property (I know, depends on area). These are a few things we noticed, not better or worse just something you may notice moving from Dallas. The great thing here is that Charlotte is much smaller so your commute to work, attractions, kid-friendly events or locations will seem minimal. We decided on the Lake Wylie area (Clover schools, on the SC side) although our child is in private school for now. Another plus, TREES!

Ft. Mill does have great facilities and parks. I love Baxter Village (maybe too cookie cutter for you) and love the Y and the fact that there's an elementary school there... best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 AM

14 posts, read 33,997 times
I don't have children but I do live in Fort Mill and it is supposed to be the best school system in the state. Also as mentioned consider Lancaster. There is actually parts of Fort Mill in both York County and Lancaster County. That might something to be aware of depending on where you look. Either would be good areas for commuting to the Ballentine area. Also, the Waxaw area might be an area you might be intereseted in, but I think the traffic 'might' be worse. But to fair, the whole Charlotte area doesn't handle traffic very well. We are WAY behind on roads and the Raleigh area seems to get all the funding (but that's another whole story). Do keep in mind the further out you go, the longer the commute. And in some areas that will be considerable. For example, I wouldn't want to commute from Clover to Ballentine, but I'm sure some people do.

Yes, check the Old Orchard area as someone else mentioned. It is a beautful neighborhood and I suspect right now if there's anythign available it might be a very good deal. Another website I like to use when I'm looking for friends (or just keeping an eye on what's for sale in the area) is the Allen Tate Real Estate website. They lists all MLMs and allow detailed searchs, by neighborhood, zip code, street, price, 1st floor master, etc..

Good luck

Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM

396 posts, read 979,850 times
Default Don't use Field of Dreams Afterschool Care

If you have children and need afterschool care, here is what I just recently experienced with Field of Dreams in Fort Mill - DO NOT USE THEM!!!

My child started going to Field of Dreams since the very beginning (she was 4 and is now 7). She once made it outside their gates into the parking lot in Baxter Village from their playground on the freeway side. I also watched on their "camera monitor" my daughter cry for 10 minutes, rubbing her eyes while a teacher walked back and forth and ignored her (I had to call and see what was going on - my poor girl had sunscreen in her eyes). No place is perfect, and, truthfully, everything else went well up until now. They just recently opened their new Field of Dreams After School Adventure. There's no security, they've taken away services (but upped the price) - no lunches, no playground, no gates, no cameras as advertised on their website - and it sits in the middle of a business plaza. I emailed the owner and the director my concerns (email me at lauravjangos@comporium.net and I'll send you my email to them - nothing nasty, just to the point) regarding security after I expressed my concerns in a parent orientation for their new facility. Without warning, I was called and told that my child is no longer welcome there "because I am a bad apple" for expressing concern about their facility. Other parents expressed their concerns as well, but I guess my child is being penalized as a show of "Don't complain or your child can't come here.". Other than for the 2 instances I've mentioned, I have NEVER complained about anything before and was completely shocked that they would kick my daughter out of place she spent almost 4 years of her life! There was no regard for her or the effect on her with them literally giving her the boot for something that wasn't even her fault. I was told it was a GOOD "business decision" and that I had 30 days to find another afterschool care program for my girl. I must also mention that when I spoke with the director, who's a cold you-know-what, she said she "can't be concerned with what door a parent leaves from with their child" when I expressed that I saw a parent leave out a different door than what they were supposed to. Interestingly enough, when I picked my daughter up (the day she bot the boot), they had a desk placed in front of the door I mention and the director was personally pointing people to the sign-out sheet (that some people didn't even know about and NO ONE AT Field of Dreams was checking!). Well, at least my complaint had two SMALL positive outcomes in that respect. If you take your child there, you'll have no right to express a concern! Beware! It's not so "loving and nurturing" like they advertise. Other than this horrible experience for me and my child, Fort Mill is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties