Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 25,056 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through some of these postings for a while now, I've found lots of good information and insight! I thought I'd post my own questions... see what comes from it.

My family lives in Seattle, WA and we are considering a move to the Fort Mill / Charlotte area in March of 2007. I would be relocating with my current employer and would be working in Fort Mill, my husband would possibly be working in Charlotte. We have two kids, a 2yr old and a 4yr old, so schools and daycare would be important to us. From what I've read, we would prefer to be in the Fort Mill school district although Union County (?) also seems okay.

We are considering the Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Concord (Palisades), Belmont, Waxhaw, and Indian Trail areas (broad range... I know - there seem to be endless choices!!). We are looking to spend $400 - $500 on a house and would like to be in a great neighborhood (incl pool etc.) and have top quality finishes inside. We would prefer new or a resale that is only a few years old. In reviewing different builders... it seems Orleans, John Wieland, Standard Pacific (Gold Hill neighborhood), Saussy Burbank, Turnberry, James Custom Homes would be our best bets... although some of these would be at the very top end of our budget!!

Questions:
Any recommendations/experiences with daycares in the area? What is the average cost per child? With all the growth in the area, is it hard to find openings?

Any experiences with the builders above? Especially Standard Pacific? I haven't seen much written about them... we love the floorplans we've seen online for the Gold Hill Classic neighborhood. Same with James Custom Homes...

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 02:34 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
You will have many options in your price range. Here are the websites for school report cards

NC: http://www.ncreportcards.org
SC: http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ (broken link)

Let me know if you would like the school county websites...

Fort Mill, Tega Cay, and Waxhaw would probably be most convenient to Fort Mill.

Standard Pacific used to be called Westfield Homes -- they came from the West Coast. In my opinion they build a very nice home. In fact I think you've got a nice list of builders there

Not sure about daycare in the Fort Mill area. There is a relatively new daycare on Rea Road (in South Charlotte, just north of the Union County line) called Kids R Kids. It seems nice (at least from the outside!)

Best of luck to you..feel free to PM me if you would like additional information or any assistance with your relocation.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingSeattle View Post
I've been reading through some of these postings for a while now, I've found lots of good information and insight! I thought I'd post my own questions... see what comes from it.

My family lives in Seattle, WA and we are considering a move to the Fort Mill / Charlotte area in March of 2007. I would be relocating with my current employer and would be working in Fort Mill, my husband would possibly be working in Charlotte. We have two kids, a 2yr old and a 4yr old, so schools and daycare would be important to us. From what I've read, we would prefer to be in the Fort Mill school district although Union County (?) also seems okay.

We are considering the Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Concord (Palisades), Belmont, Waxhaw, and Indian Trail areas (broad range... I know - there seem to be endless choices!!). We are looking to spend $400 - $500 on a house and would like to be in a great neighborhood (incl pool etc.) and have top quality finishes inside. We would prefer new or a resale that is only a few years old. In reviewing different builders... it seems Orleans, John Wieland, Standard Pacific (Gold Hill neighborhood), Saussy Burbank, Turnberry, James Custom Homes would be our best bets... although some of these would be at the very top end of our budget!!

Questions:
Any recommendations/experiences with daycares in the area? What is the average cost per child? With all the growth in the area, is it hard to find openings?

Any experiences with the builders above? Especially Standard Pacific? I haven't seen much written about them... we love the floorplans we've seen online for the Gold Hill Classic neighborhood. Same with James Custom Homes...

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks

Hey there! I happen to live in the Fort Mill area (Tega Cay to be exact). Can't really comment on the pre-school's although I know there are several in the area (alot of the churches have them, there is one in Baxter, then there is a new one that recently opened off Hwy 160 and Gold Hill, and I know folks that have had their children at the Lakeshore Church in Tega Cay).

I have friends that own John Wieland homes (located in Indian Land, SC), Turnberry, and Orleans (located in Tega Cay) and they all seem to be very pleased with their purchase (although they all say the construction end of it took longer than expected).

You will have no problem finding a home in the Fort Mill or Tega Cay area in the price range you are looking for (new or resell)...it will more be about what home, and area you will end up liking better.

Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 AM

46 posts, read 188,082 times
My husband and I just closed on a new house with James Custom Homes in Indian Trail. We were quite impressed with their attention to details, etc. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 17,318 times
Default No, No, No...on Turnberry

I own a Turnberry home - it is approx 16 months old and we are extremely unhappy with the builder.
We did not close on time because they refused to accept that we sere seeing things that were not taken care of during our walk throughs, they kept telling us that they would catch all of these items before final walkthrough and we would be happy - well, they didn't and we weren't. Get everything done to your satisfaction BEFORE you close or you will be miserable as their customer service is NON existant after you give them your money.
We have a major underground water leakage in our front yard that they kept blaming on our landscaper...after months and months of going back and forth with them we finally found it to be an improperly installed foundation drain...well, we are STILL trying to get them to come repair. I have gone to the CEO of the company - Rick Bell and have not received an answer - there have been several "after the sale" issues that we have had with our house and they are very non-responsive -the only way to get them to contact you is to contact the BBB and Action 9 news - but we are a LONG way from being happy with this company - look somewhere else - save your sanity!!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
If you're looking for a quality custom home in Fort Mill, here are a few builders to check out: James Custom Homes, Stevens Construction, John R. Poore Builders, and NuSouth. There is a new community called Springfield that is on property previously owned by the Springs Family on a golf course and it's beautiful. If you need more info send me a pm.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 PM

46 posts, read 209,193 times
In your price range, Springfield is beautiful. (but very very close together)

I just bought a house from a small builder based in Rock Hill called J&C CUstom Homes. It's a family company, and ours was resale - but the house is less than a year old.

I can now point out on the street which houses were built by J&C. They build beautiful homes, the details are exquisite. Unique custom features like shutters, garage door, front door, light fixtures, hardwood floors - they're all beautiful and not builder standard. Incidentally, I found out that they have a female interior designer on their staff, and she picks these things out.

In fact, our range was a little lower than yours but there is a home in my neighborhood on the golf course for sale for $474k. It's a J&C, and it is beautiful... I went inside during an open house, even though it's out of our price range. If you want info, I could look up the MLS for you, just let me know!

Oh, in case I wasn't clear, I'm talking about Fort Mill - which is a fantastic place to live!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:29 PM

12 posts, read 50,411 times
Default Is there any palisades like area in South Carolina?

I am greatly appreciative of all of the information conveyed within these forums. I currently live in Piper Glen and feel landlocked by 485, Meck taxes and schools and we are looking to move to an area within walking distance of restaurants, a lake, schools, churches, etc. I love the look of the palisades but still see that that is meck county. Do any of you know of a Palisades like area in South Carolina?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM

28 posts, read 96,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neednewhouse View Post
In your price range, Springfield is beautiful. (but very very close together)

I just bought a house from a small builder based in Rock Hill called J&C CUstom Homes. It's a family company, and ours was resale - but the house is less than a year old.

I can now point out on the street which houses were built by J&C. They build beautiful homes, the details are exquisite. Unique custom features like shutters, garage door, front door, light fixtures, hardwood floors - they're all beautiful and not builder standard. Incidentally, I found out that they have a female interior designer on their staff, and she picks these things out.

In fact, our range was a little lower than yours but there is a home in my neighborhood on the golf course for sale for $474k. It's a J&C, and it is beautiful... I went inside during an open house, even though it's out of our price range. If you want info, I could look up the MLS for you, just let me know!

Oh, in case I wasn't clear, I'm talking about Fort Mill - which is a fantastic place to live!
Do you have a website for this builder? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 PM

227 posts, read 293,155 times
Google is your friend... 1st listing..
http://www.google.com/search?q=J%26C...ient=firefox-a
Quote:
Originally Posted by emski View Post
Do you have a website for this builder? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties