Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,820 times

Advertisements

I read that a lot of people live in SC (York County) and commute into the Charlotte area for work. Just wanted to get a feel for what commuting times are like.
And if you do commute from SC to Charlotte, do you feel it is worth it..the expense of commuting vs the expense of living closer to the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM

245 posts, read 1,019,943 times
Hubby commutes from South Lancaster to North Charlotte. It takes him 1 hour 5 minutes to get there and 1 hour 15 minutes to get home.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:05 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
I read that a lot of people live in SC (York County) and commute into the Charlotte area for work. Just wanted to get a feel for what commuting times are like.
And if you do commute from SC to Charlotte, do you feel it is worth it..the expense of commuting vs the expense of living closer to the city?
The commute to uptown from Fort Mill, SC is about the same (25-35 minutes), if not closer, than some of the popular areas around Charlotte, including Union County, Huntersville, Cornelius, Concord, etc. Of course it's not as close as some of the areas within the city limits of Charlotte like Myers Park, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, etc. However, real nice neighborhoods close to uptown are very expensive. Plus, you have to take into account taxes, school districts and other factors that may be important to you.

My wife and I are in the process of building a house in Fort Mill, SC, after selling our house in Huntersville, and the commute will about the same. We're doing it to be closer to family, to be in the Fort Mill school district and for the lower taxes.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
The commute to uptown from Fort Mill, SC is about the same (25-35 minutes), if not closer, than some of the popular areas around Charlotte, including Union County, Huntersville, Cornelius, Concord, etc. Of course it's not as close as some of the areas within the city limits of Charlotte like Myers Park, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, etc. However, real nice neighborhoods close to uptown are very expensive. Plus, you have to take into account taxes, school districts and other factors that may be important to you.

My wife and I are in the process of building a house in Fort Mill, SC, after selling our house in Huntersville, and the commute will about the same. We're doing it to be closer to family, to be in the Fort Mill school district and for the lower taxes.
We are building in York, SC. We do not work in uptown, husband works in Pineville and I am about 7 miles from the Carolina Place mall. Expecting some traffic but for tax reasons, we chose SC. I figured it out, I will be saving more in taxes then I will be speding on gas/car mtn so I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for responding to my original post.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 PM

18 posts, read 115,080 times
Anyone know about the commute from Wescott Plantation to Mount Pleasant??

Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 AM

19 posts, read 78,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Anyone know about the commute from Wescott Plantation to Mount Pleasant??
I drive from Wescott to Mt. P all the time. Do you know where in Mt. Pleasant you will be going, and what time of day? Both answers influence your route and drive time.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:38 PM

For an idea, I timed it today and with smooth traffic it takes about 20 minutes from the Wescott entrance to Hwy 17 in Mt. Pleasant. Of course, if you live deep in Wescott it can take over half of that just to get to the entrance. You might want to keep this in mind when checking out the different subsections.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 PM

18 posts, read 115,080 times
I would be traveling from Wescott Plantation or maybe Kings Grant subdivision to Brickyard Plantation in Mount Pleasant. It would be around 8:00am to 2:30pm?? maybe

Any help would be great!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
I just moved from South Charlotte at Providence and 51, 40-60 minute commute, to Fort Mill, 15-30 minute commute. I'm in heaven.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
I would be traveling from Wescott Plantation or maybe Kings Grant subdivision to Brickyard Plantation in Mount Pleasant. It would be around 8:00am to 2:30pm?? maybe

Any help would be great!
I'd say around 30 minutes am and a little less pm. King's Grant is right across the street from Wescott, so the commute is the same from either entrance. It can be longer with really bad traffic, but neither of your commute times is horrible. I'll try to remember to time it specifically the next time I drive to that area. Brickyard plantation is right around the main shopping area in Mt. Pleasant, so I am there pretty regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties