Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times

Advertisements

I think we all have to sort thru the spin and smear tactics that have become commonplace in our elections, and focus on what is important - a candidate's stand on the issues.

I am voting for Obama this year, not because I hate McCain, but because I like what I hear from Obama and what he wants to do if elected:

He wants to improve our national infrastructure after years of neglect
He wants to bring our troops home from Iraq, and spend the money we are wasting there to rebuild this country
He wants to focus on securing Afghanistan from the Taliban, and to get Bin Laden
He wants to make sure all Americans have good, affordable health care
He wants to pay for college tuition in exchange for community service
He wants to reduce taxes on the middle class and roll-back the Bush tax cuts for the rich
He wants to change the tax code to lessen the outsourcing of American jobs overseas
He wants the middle class to share in economic recoveries - rather than have the gains go mainly to the top 1% of income earners

I don't care if people post smear stories about one candidate or the other - those things don't influence me. In fact, I have a lot of fun ridiculing their claims.

I've heard enough about Obama's stand on issues that are important to me and my family, and I like what I hear. I can't say the same for McCain - he would be worse for me and my family than Bush has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM

80 posts, read 262,322 times
I whole heartedly agree with you. Obama's made his position clear from the get go. McCain OTOH has not spelled out what changes he's proposing, just more of the same. McSame=4 more years of bush..

Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I think we all have to sort thru the spin and smear tactics that have become commonplace in our elections, and focus on what is important - a candidate's stand on the issues.

I am voting for Obama this year, not because I hate McCain, but because I like what I hear from Obama and what he wants to do if elected:

He wants to bring our troops home from Iraq, and spend the money we are wasting there to rebuild this country
He wants to focus on securing Afghanistan from the Taliban, and to get Bin Laden
He wants to reduce taxes on the middle class and roll-back the Bush tax cuts for the rich
He wants to change the tax code to lessen the outsourcing of American jobs overseas
He wants the middle class to share in economic recoveries - rather than have the gains go mainly to the top 1% of income earners

I don't care if people post smear stories about one candidate or the other - those things don't influence me. In fact, I have a lot of fun ridiculing their claims.

I've heard enough about Obama's stand on issues that are important to me and my family, and I like what I hear. I can't say the same for McCain - he would be worse for me and my family than Bush has been.

he obviously does not plan on going home right away if he wants to secure afghanistan. the rest of his programs cost money, which frankly we will not have if this bailout goes through. our dollar will be worth little and if our dollar sinks, oil prices will rise.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:

Ever heard of congress?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,456,942 times
Absolutely...the President can't move without congress and apparently they think Obama is above all that. The good General will be the one making the strategic calls.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,248,544 times
Quote:

"He wants to reduce taxes on the middle class and roll-back the Bush tax cuts for the rich
He wants to change the tax code to lessen the outsourcing of American jobs overseas"

You cannot do these independent of each other. If you want to reduce outsourcing, you have to reduce taxes on corporations, so they can afford to pay the employees wages in this country. The unions have made sure that wages are burdensome and are at fault for more outsourcing than the government ever will be. That is in essence a tax cut for the "rich" as the Democrats have decided it is defined.

He wants the middle class to share in economic recoveries - rather than have the gains go mainly to the top 1% of income earners"

Did you ever have more than 1 girlfriend at a time in school? If so, what if I told you that 2 is too many, and you have to give one of them to one of the ugly guys who couldn't get his own girlfriend at the time. That is in essence what you are voting for this election. So good luck, vote early and vote often.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,439 times
Quote:

I heard the homeless guy across the street promised the same things as the above if we give him money.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 AM

125 posts, read 187,717 times
LINK

Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,746 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more MrBob - so don't get down by all the negative postings by frustrated neocons and McCain supporters... this is a conservative forum by and large...

Obama will be a breath of fresh air compared to the last 8 years of misery and bumbling management under Bush... I can't wait for him to whoop McCain in November, and will probably record his swearing in ceremony in January!!!

Go Obama!!! Get out there and vote Democratic!!!

HubbleRules

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I couldn't agree more MrBob - so don't get down by all the negative postings by frustrated neocons and McCain supporters... this is a conservative forum by and large... Obama will be a breath of fresh air compared to the last 8 years of misery and bumbling management under Bush... I can't wait for him to whoop McCain in November, and will probably record his swearing in ceremony in January!!! Go Obama!!! Get out there and
I question people's knowledge of how government works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections