Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:49 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,119,351 times

Advertisements

This sounds stupid, but somebody repped me just so they could make a nasty comment. I can't flag or report this in some way? Obviously it's ridiculous to rep someone just to be rude, but they did it in this manner probably so I can't report it. What can be done about this? I have no idea who it was (I have a few guesses) but saying "I hope karma bites you in the ass real soon" (or something to that effect) would probably be a violation of the TOS if it had been posted on the open forums.

Also, I have noticed when I flag people for cursing or that kind of thing, they're still around, cursing away. How does it work when I flag a post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Yes, you can contact a moderator if you get a improper comment in a rep.

Rich

Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM

193 posts, read 377,077 times
Unlike 'ordinary' forum members, moderators can see who has left each comment so they can easily determine who left the comment. When viewed by a mod, I think there's an extra column in a user's reputation comments containing the 'repper's' user name. Maybe a mod can confirm this? But mods will definitely be able to see who left the comment. If you send a DM to any moderator, they can then sort it for you.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,340,631 times
You can send a DM to the mod asking them to delete the negative rep comment. The mods will be able to see who sent you a negative rep but they won't tell you who it was. I'm a bit of an expert on the subject as this has happened ot me numerous times.
The best thing is you will be able to keep the rep points.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,059,126 times
All moderators have access to the list of all reported posts. So when you "flag" a post by using the "report this post" feature, not only will the moderator of that particular forum be notified of the report but it can be seen by all the moderators at C-DF.

If you continually see the same member breaking the rules and reporting those posts apparently are not doing any good, please contact the forum moderator by Direct Message.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,517,370 times
I just do not understand negative comments when giving a rep. It's like patting somebody on the back at the same time slapping them up the side of the head. So useless and so cowardly

Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
I don't know why you would want to flag anything. State your opinion, or not, and move on. Sometimes things just don't work between people. You don't have to do anything about it. It's okay not to agree.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,059,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I just do not understand negative comments when giving a rep. It's like patting somebody on the back at the same time slapping them up the side of the head. So useless and so cowardly
As others have said, I think it's because they "think" it's anonymous. As we know, it isn't as a moderator can determine who left the comment. You are right, it is cowardly.

It sure is better, however, than the negative rep system we fought so hard to get rid of. I'm really glad that's no longer being done.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,264,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
As others have said, I think it's because they "think" it's anonymous. As we know, it isn't as a moderator can determine who left the comment. You are right, it is cowardly.

It sure is better, however, than the negative rep system we fought so hard to get rid of. I'm really glad that's no longer being done.
So in the past you could send a nasty anonymous comment and take away rep points? Is this correct?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So in the past you could send a nasty anonymous comment and take away rep points? Is this correct?
There's a difference between nasty and negative but yes, you could take away points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum