Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times

Advertisements

I notice that a lot of people really use the conspiracy theory, "multiple user names" on here about people. I've even been asked or accused of this several times and have seen people down right bullied because of it. It seems to happen when people have common opinions.
What are the rules involving this actually? Is there a way one can prove they are not using multiple user names?
Also, what if another family member wants to be a member of cd? Can they join without people assuming they are all the same poster? Or is it one member per household? I would just like to be clear on these rules as I live in a six person household of all ages and some have mentioned wanting to go on here.
Because of the harassing I see about multiuser user names I'm hesitant to allow anyone in my family to go on cd. Should I be?
It would be nice if they could have there own account as I wouldn't want them using my name for their opinions as we vary.
So, is there only one user per household?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,984 times
First of all, only moderators can see your private information so you shouldn't be "harassed" about it. If regular members talk about it, they're only talking about what they think based on your writing styles. You're welcome to report it if you feel harassed.

As to moderators, we don't have any magical powers to see who is sitting at a keyboard on your side of the monitor so yes, if we register multiple accounts, there may be some questions asked. If there is nothing suspicious goin on between the household accounts, you should be fine. However, if we notice increased reputation giving or discussions in the same threads between such accounts, we might pull the plug on them. I mean, you don't need an Internet forum to talk to your family and we get plenty of "roommates" explanations from returning trolls, too.

Generally, just use your common sense and we promise to do the same.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Great! Thanks for your answer, of course that makes sense. Believe me, I don't want my family members on my threads. lol

You are right, other members is one thing and easily dismissed but when it's moderators initiating the assumption in public and members follow it gets a little disturbing. Looks like they are trying to bullying someone off because they don't agree with their opinion. I shall just report it from now on if I see it.
This is really another topic though and since you've answered mine, I'm good!
See ya, and thanks again.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
In my opinion, moderators should only be questioning the use of multiple accounts in private using a Direct Message and not in public on the forum. If you see this, I'd urge you to contact Marka.

Another suggestion would be that if a family member or another person in the same household that is using the same computer or IP is contemplating creating an account of their own is to contact a moderator and explain the situation before or shortly after the account is created so that an internal note can be made on the accounts. Doing it before hand makes it much less suspicious in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
In my opinion, moderators should only be questioning the use of multiple accounts in private using a Direct Message and not in public on the forum. If you see this, I'd urge you to contact Marka.

Another suggestion would be that if a family member or another person in the same household that is using the same computer or IP is contemplating creating an account of their own is to contact a moderator and explain the situation before or shortly after the account is created so that an internal note can be made on the accounts. Doing it before hand makes it much less suspicious in my opinion.
Good idea! Thanks! I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum