Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,570,759 times

Advertisements

If the wording of the text quoted is deliberately changed, why is that not in violation of the TOS. I looked and saw nothing that addressed this.

I'm not talking about deleting parts of the original to address specific points, or brevity, but actually rewording the quote to change the essence of what was said.

Reported this to the area mod several days ago, and nothing.

Is rewording someone else' words within the quote box fair game?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,129,431 times
While it would usually be morally wrong. A lot would depend on the section, the apparent reason it was done and the difficulty/ease in examining the original.

About the only thime I could see it as harmless would be in a humorous thread in which all the participants are poking fun at each other and someone did it directly below the original post and it can readily be seen as a joke. Poor taste maybe but still an obvious joke in a non serious thread. I would probably delete it, without any infraction given.

On a personal note I see any altering of a quote as basically the same as a copy right violation and do not like it when that happens.

Perhaps you could recontact the mod of the section and express your opinion as to why you believe it is fraud.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Is rewording someone else' words within the quote box fair game?
Leaning on 20 years of online precedent, I'd say that is one of the most egregious fouls one can commit in an online group. I've participated in forums where doing that was grounds for a permanent ban.

It's easy enough to get confused about who said what to whom without somebody actually forging the contents of what purports to be a direct quote from another person. It's a deliberate misrepresentation. Nothing good can come from this practice.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,277,089 times
TOS doesn't predict all forms of trolling. DM me the link, please, I'll see what should be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum