Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,032,046 times

Advertisements

Anyone else get this message when trying to search through the pages of the old threads that you started? Whenever I try to go to the next page after Page One, I start receiving this message, and then I have to start all over and select the actual page # that I want to see. And then the message re-occurs for every page thereafter.

This has been a problem for a long time now, but it seems to be really bad as of lately. Is this some type of glitch or malfunction in the system? From talking with several other members, I know I'm not the only one who is seeing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
What is most likely happening is that you're encountering the archived section of the forum. The servers can only hold so much, so at a certain point, older stuff gets archived. It still looks like those pages are all available, but you'll get that "no matches" response when you try to page back beyond a certain point.

This is distinct from searching on actual posts, or words in posts. I have successfully done post-specific or word-specific or member-specific searches that go back years, way beyond the "active threads" section of the forum. It's just when you are doing a wholesale sort of thing paging back through multiple pages of threads that you'll start getting that not-found message.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
What is most likely happening is that you're encountering the archived section of the forum. The servers can only hold so much, so at a certain point, older stuff gets archived. It still looks like those pages are all available, but you'll get that "no matches" response when you try to page back beyond a certain point.

This is distinct from searching on actual posts, or words in posts. I have successfully done post-specific or word-specific or member-specific searches that go back years, way beyond the "active threads" section of the forum. It's just when you are doing a wholesale sort of thing paging back through multiple pages of threads that you'll start getting that not-found message.
Thanks for the response. I'm getting this message when trying to look at anything past page 1 of my old threads. I can get to those older pages, but to do so I have to start over at the beginning and select the actual page I want to go to. This can get tiresome, as I like to go back and look to see if anyone has pulled an old thread of mine out of the archives and written a response so I can keep up with them.

I can get to the page I need, but it is just annoying to go through this process. What's interesting, is that this problem does not occur when I go from page to page when looking at my forum posts. It only happens in the area where I look at my old threads. I just wanted to make sure that this was not a problem with just my computer or something I was doing wrong. It seems like this happens to everybody.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Anyone else get this message when trying to search through the pages of the old threads that you started? Whenever I try to go to the next page after Page One, I start receiving this message, and then I have to start all over and select the actual page # that I want to see. And then the message re-occurs for every page thereafter.

This has been a problem for a long time now, but it seems to be really bad as of lately. Is this some type of glitch or malfunction in the system? From talking with several other members, I know I'm not the only one who is seeing this.
I get that message after I go past the second page. I get 30 started threads listed per page. When you say "trying to search through the pages of the old threads that you started?", I am not searching other than displaying my started threads through the statistics page of my profile.. We might be talking about different issues.

I have my settings "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" at 40, don't know if that would make a difference.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I get that message after I go past the second page. I get 30 started threads listed per page. When you say "trying to search through the pages of the old threads that you started?", I am not searching other than displaying my started threads through the statistics page of my profile.. We might be talking about different issues.

I have my settings "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" at 40, don't know if that would make a difference.
Yes Poncho, we're talking about the same method. Mine is currently set at 30 per page. I may have to change to 40 as you did. This will ease it up somewhat. Other than that, I don't know how to avoid this message. This must get tiresome to seasoned CD members that have many many pages of threads that they have initiated.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
You can always go to the forum you started it in and search for it that way if you are looking for something specific.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Where under settings can you up the number to 40? I can't find that interface. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Where under settings can you up the number to 40? I can't find that interface. Thanks.
Upper left side "My Settings"
Settings & Options
Edit Options
Go down to

Quote:
Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.
Number of Posts to Show Per Page:
Also Try: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...do=editoptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum