Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times

Advertisements

As a musician (I retired from performing professionally in my late 30s) I believe that on the Music forum that it is important to discuss, as in write, views and insights regarding music and musical performances. Instead the Music forum has been reduced to endless postings of pirated YouTube videos without the slightest pretense of discussing what those videos display or what they are suppose to represent.

According the TOS there is supposed to be some respect for copyrighted material which for the most part is aggressively enforced throughout the forums with the exception of the Music forums. It seems that on the Music forum the idea of copyrighted material some how doesn't include entire musical performances, which under no uncertain terms are copyrighted materials.

If the site is going to even pretend that posting full length videos is covered under fair usage, then it would seem that at the very least some attempt at providing some expository statement would be required to accompany such post otherwise the forum is reduced to nothing more than a file sharing site. I don't think that is what C-D intended.

To be clear, I think that posting examples of musical works is important, if not critical to the discussion of different artist, and genres, but there has to be some original written exposition as to what the video represents if is it to comply with the TOS, copyright law and the basic elements of intelligent discussion.

Last edited by ovcatto; 04-18-2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: grammar and clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM

3,178 posts, read 2,749,341 times
We leave policing copyrights of YouTube videos to YouTube. They have much more resources and technology specifically designed for videos. If you believe that some video is violating copyrights, we encourage you to report it to YouTube.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
Well to be fair YOUTUBE OFTEN DELETES COPYRIGHTED STUFF so if they havent,it must be ok!! (They do not let that slide on thier site (Especially since google took over))

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 days ago)

52,722 posts, read 48,039,567 times
We can look at this in another way (where our site is concerned): A YouTube video that gets selected for a post does have music on it, even with precious few words. Posters can use that to explain or tell something about a certain song or artist. The songs and artists that are displayed on YouTube videos are all part of history. There's nothing wrong with discussions; we need those from time to time. But when you listen to an embedded video, it creates more words and descriptions in your mind than anyone's actual description ever could. You are listening to music. You are listening to the evidence. You are listening to history. Since this website is a data-based site, the videos that get posted are all a big part of the process. We've done this for a few years now on C-D, and nothing's been violated, and everything is just fine.

It's another form of presenting things.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM

536 posts, read 574,786 times
Many artists present copywright claims to Youtube, and their music is disabled. Often videos are often prevented from being embedded or shown in certain countries as well. Youtube seems to have it under control on their end if an artist of music publisher presents a copywright claim.

Works well. And we can listen to music and share it with fellow forum members.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a musician (I retired from performing professionally in my late 30s) I believe that on the Music forum that it is important to discuss, as in write, views and insights regarding music and musical performances. Instead the Music forum has been reduced to endless postings of pirated YouTube videos without the slightest pretense of discussing what those videos display or what they are suppose to represent.
Sorry to say that most of member population is not on the same page as you are when it comes to music. That said, there is no importance to music for them beyond the latest pop tunes.

Ask most of them about classical music and they will say........what's that??

Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM

18,247 posts, read 25,909,423 times
I know where Ovcatto is coming from here, I do. And I should, beings as I'm closing in on 2400 posts in the music sub forum since I signed up on this message board nearly six years ago.

Over the last few years more and more of the names I'm familiar with from that date just don't show up anymore on this sub forum. At last guess 2/3 of those individuals are still C-D members, with the other 1/3 no longer members, for whatever reason (not all of them were shown the door). I won't get into specific names here, but I will say I miss their input; their overall knowledge on ALL fields of music. I've cut back a bit on activity because the last several threads I started produced goose eggs! Yeppirs, zero activity. Heh, that's life I guess (hmm, didn't Sinatra chart that song in the Spring of '66?)

Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I know where Ovcatto is coming from here, I do. And I should, beings as I'm closing in on 2400 posts in the music sub forum since I signed up on this message board nearly six years ago.

Over the last few years more and more of the names I'm familiar with from that date just don't show up anymore on this sub forum. At last guess 2/3 of those individuals are still C-D members, with the other 1/3 no longer members, for whatever reason (not all of them were shown the door). I won't get into specific names here, but I will say I miss their input; their overall knowledge on ALL fields of music. I've cut back a bit on activity because the last several threads I started produced goose eggs! Yeppirs, zero activity. Heh, that's life I guess (hmm, didn't Sinatra chart that song in the Spring of '66?)
Agreed! I don't know the answer but the Music forum has certainly lost many a great member. Perhaps there needs to be a subforum just for the sharing or posting of video's?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,246,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Agreed! I don't know the answer but the Music forum has certainly lost many a great member. Perhaps there needs to be a subforum just for the sharing or posting of video's?
Maybe requesting a sticky for the purpose of posts that are basically only videos would work?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Youtube aggressively polices copyright infringement claims. Many labels are OK with third parties posting their music on Youtube because then the labels collect much of the revenue from the ads attached to those videos. I don't know if those ads show up when a Youtube video is embedded here (I use ABP), but the official uploads usually block embedding and force you to go to Youtube itself to watch the video. I don't know how embedding issue is handled for the unofficial uploads. But again, Google/Youtube and the copyright owners have basically reached an agreement on this issue so I don't feel too broken up about embedding the odd Youtube here with copyrighted material.

What I'm more concerned about is how the Music forum has become basically nothing but Youtube embeds. Not only does that make the forum a lot less interesting and stifle actual discussions, but when you've set your C-D account to load 40 posts per page (like I have), it takes a hell of a long time for the pages to load as it pulls up dozens of screen captures from Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum