Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times

Advertisements

You are presented with a situation where you must address a controversial thread started by a poster with a shady history (numerous locked threads, possibly numerous infractions, same posting style as a well-known banned member, etc.) Several members address the thread as being controversial and suggest that the OP is trolling and looking to rabble rouse. How would you personally address this? Do you shut down the thread based on previous patterns by this particular poster? Do you delete the comments by the members suggesting it's a troll post and let the thread continue?

I'm just trying to understand the overall thought process. There are a few particular threads I have seen as of late that fall into this criteria and I'm curious if there is a general consensus on how the mods on this board would handle a situation like this.

Thank you for your participation.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
One may wish to ask themselves if they're guilty as well. Yes, that poster is very obnoxious, but you're not helping your cause by coming here to cry about it when you are guilty of throwing insults back at that admittedly repugnant poster. JMHO.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
One may wish to ask themselves if they're guilty as well. Yes, that poster is very obnoxious, but you're not helping your cause by coming here to cry about it when you are guilty of throwing insults back at that admittedly repugnant poster. JMHO.
Not to detract from the OP, but I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to. It sounds as if you have a specific thread in mind regarding my behavior. Can you DM me about it?

And once again, I'm left shaking my head and wondering why I am perceived as a bad guy on this forum for merely pointing out (not insulting anyone) inconsistencies or absurdities that are posted to obviously infuriate people. I'm not the one instigating anything, I'm only responding to other people who think it's appropriate to be a**holes because they can hide behind an anonymous identity. Rhetorically I ask, why does one become the bad guy for telling others that they are being rude and that they should stop insulting others or starting troll topics? I guess it's better just to shut up and let trolls be trolls. Sorry, I guess I was taught growing up to stand up against injustices and not allow bullies to run amok.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Not to detract from the OP, but I'm not sure what specifically you're referring to. It sounds as if you have a specific thread in mind.

And once again, I'm left shaking my head and wondering why I am perceived as a bad guy on this forum for merely pointing out (not insulting anyone) inconsistencies or absurdities that are posted to obviously infuriate people. I'm not the one instigating anything, I'm only responding to other people who think it's appropriate to be a**holes because they can hide behind an anonymous identity. Rhetorically I ask, why does one become the bad guy for telling others that they are being rude and that they should stop insulting others or starting troll topics? I guess it's better just to shut up and let trolls be trolls.
No, it's best to privately contact a mod with your concern(s). The specific thread that i was referencing is located in the football forum.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Contact the mod(s) per DM.
This is not a right place to ponder on mods action.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Contact the mod(s) per DM.
This is not the place to ponder mods action.
Okay, well feel free to close down this thread then. I guess it's better to shut up and stop trying to inject some basic humanitarian principles on this forum. I try to be a good guy here and stand up for others, and I'm essentially told to shut up and deal with it.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM

^^^ No, it's not, and you are free to discuss it with the mods or senior mods. You are not free to discuss it on a public forum, per ToS.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
^^^ No, it's not, and you are free to discuss it with the mods or senior mods. You are not free to discuss it on public forum, per ToS.
Okay, I didn't realize this fell under one of the rules in the ToS. It was just supposed to be a hypothetical question, nothing specific.

From the ToS
Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators, Yac or Marka.

It seems like this is a gray area up for interpretation. And kind of the point of the thread topic.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Alright, but if you still have concerns or question - contact the mods, that's the right way to handle it.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Alright, but if you still have concerns or question - contact the mods, that's the right way to handle it.
Absolutely. And if it's regarding a specific thread or post, I do DM them. This was just a general question about how things are done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum