Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Consider starting new threads, so the cycle of threads has some variety. Some days the same threads cycle over and over and over.

I likely start too many new ones...maybe someone else can take over.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I start quite a few. Some have gone on for a long time, and some are short lived. It’s fun to think of one and see how far it goes. If you don’t start them you never know what will spark a good conversation.
One of my best ones is, What are you working on now? I like hearing about everyone’s projects. It’s sort of a home related Show and Tell.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I start quite a few. Some have gone on for a long time, and some are short lived. It’s fun to think of one and see how far it goes. If you don’t start them you never know what will spark a good conversation.
One of my best ones is, What are you working on now? I like hearing about everyone’s projects. It’s sort of a home related Show and Tell.
Yes, I like to read the show and tell...it's never ending too.

I started Nature category years ago and it's now a big part of my enjoyment on cd. People have such interesting stories and have so much info to share...

Then there are some dumb threads I started that go nowhere fast
and others that unbelievably continue on...

Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
I wish we got better quality threads from long time contributors. Lots of subs are inundated with "trollish" topics from a new batch of posters who predictably pop up every single month. You can tell these accounts apart because they've been members for less than a month and will already have 10s-100s of comments and threads that follow the same trollish patterns. You can report them away as frequently as you can, but there's always another one that'll come up in its place. It's like having a weed problem in your garden.

I post threads from time to time, but usually seldom and only when the urge strikes (i.e. something relevant in my life at the moment).

Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think posts come in two categories (maybe more). Posts to gain information have a short shelf life. ...like, for example, identify this________. Others can continue indefinitely.

Really, I’m always amazed at how some threads last a day then get closed, when I think there was more to be gotten out of them, but some moldy old things of no interest to anyone still hang on for years.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think posts come in two categories (maybe more). Posts to gain information have a short shelf life. ...like, for example, identify this________. Others can continue indefinitely.

Really, I’m always amazed at how some threads last a day then get closed, when I think there was more to be gotten out of them, but some moldy old things of no interest to anyone still hang on for years.
Hee hee...I can think of some that seem to have been here as long as I have...

Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Do you start new threads?
Sometimes, when I feel it appropriate...

Old 08-11-2018, 03:00 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sometimes, when I feel it appropriate...
^^^ This!
And I follow up too.
Some people just start lots of threads but never come back and participate. I feel that I wasted my time on those... It just seems to me like talking to a wall...

Old 08-11-2018, 12:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Not as much as I used to. Not worth the aggravation of not going as I hoped. I mainly do it when I'm bored with topics (often so) and bored in general and I have a question or information I think is important and will be able to monitor the thread frequently.

My time online is much about locating interesting material that potentially could be discussed with others, but seldom does the discussion part pan out. Not many people have the intellectual curiosity and creativity to start good discussions, and many people lack the intellect or manners needed to keep the discussion going smoothly.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Off the top of my head,, I would have said very, very seldom and of those, not much response so figure I don't ask anything anybody is much interested in.
This thread made me go look at my statistics and, wow! I've started over 200 but, most of those were asking for help about something specific so low response is understandable.The ones trying to start a conversation weren't a hellova a lot better, though
That's about a 2% ratio of overall posts.
I also would have said I have only a handful of DMs and the stats show 345!
So much for memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum