Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Arizona is slow this morning, some items on the screen don't load properly.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I'm in Southern Oregon on Charter, but tracert shows the hops going north from here through Seattle - there are 26 of them between me and thee, lol. It's not slow at the moment (although it has been a pretty much daily problem).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-17-2019, 04:08 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
My problem could be related to the fact that I'm barely getting any upload speeds from my ISP. I should be getting 3 mb down and 1 up but for the past few days I'm getting most of the 3 mb download but like .02 to complete failure for the upload check. This is a wireless system.

I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Just ran another trace route test. It came back with 18 hops, the 14th of which shows asterisks for all three columns and says "Request timed out".

The hop immediately before it is lax and the one immediately after is dal. So I take that to mean that there is a problem server somewhere between LA and Dallas. No indication where on the report.
It’s intermittent for sure with multiple southwest users. Software, options or hardware failures – and how do you isolate the source causing the issue?

Trouble shooting 101 – I’ve already kicked the cabinet in my area.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My problem could be related to the fact that I'm barely getting any upload speeds from my ISP. I should be getting 3 mb down and 1 up but for the past few days I'm getting most of the 3 mb download but like .02 to complete failure for the upload check. This is a wireless system.

I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow.
While that might be your problem, it probably isn't the reason for the slowdown. And it's certainly not the reason for me.

It's taking forever to load certain links, such as images. There is a database/SQL problem in the server db.

Check out these speeds, and it still takes forever for the entire page to load:

edit to add: I give up, I can't even get it to upload an image to share. Moderator cut: inappropriate language I'm outa here until it's fixed.

Last edited by Marka; 02-18-2019 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 05:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It’s intermittent for sure with multiple southwest users. Software, options or hardware failures – and how do you isolate the source causing the issue?

Trouble shooting 101 – I’ve already kicked the cabinet in my area.
I've learned more about using tracert since I posted that. Apparently, there are many servers that are programmed to not respond to ping or tracert requests. And they will return a "request timed out" response, despite working normally. So "request timed out" does not necessarily indicate a problem.

My early impression is that tracert is most useful in a scenario where you cannot connect at all to a particular site or if the report reveals consistently slow times at a particular hop. Neither applies here.

Yes, it is definitely intermittent. And there are probably a hundred different possibilities that might explain that. It would seem all we can do is be patient and hope that someone, somewhere is working on it.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I am being told by the moderators that the problem lies with the Internet, and not with anything under C-D's control.

I would like to respectfully disagree. There are too many of us having this issue to be "the Internet". Especially since *nothing* else I do (and I do a LOT online) seems to be having this problem.

For what it's worth, I loaded this page ten minutes ago, and it's *still* not fully loaded. The status line at the bottom of Chrome reads "Waiting for pics3.city-data.com". So everything made it thru the Internet except the pics? No, that is definitely a server DB problem.

And please renew your HTTPS license. It's frustrating to be the only site I visit that gets the red Not Secure.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
It has all been explained ad nauseam and there are multiple threads about both issues in the archives.

To sum it up one last time: the slow-down problem appears in the south-western states: mainly California, Texas and Arizona have reported it so far. Using Windows, if you go to Start Menu and find the Command Line, a black window appears. Type tracert city-data.com and press Enter. What you'll see is a list of servers that transmit the signal from our server to your home. The first one on the list - it's you. The last one is our server and it is the only one we can work with. It has been checked, it works fine. The problem appears somewhere along the line, that's why it's mostly limited to one geographic area. The timeout times in particular servers' lines will give you the clue where the slow-down appears. The closer it is to our end, the larger the problematic area will be.

It also explains why, on your end, the issue is often only on city-data. If you type tracert facebook.com or any other website, you'll notice that, except your own home and possibly one or two next to it belonging to your ISP, all the other servers are different. That's because each company owns different servers scattered across the USA and the world. Therefore each website's signal travels a different route to your home.

Unfortunately, none of these servers from your first tracert (except the last one) belong to us, we don't have access to them, we don't work in this industry, there is nothing we can do. Complaining about it to us is like accusing a transport company for a motorway being in poor shape: we're just using the infrastructure, we don't maintain it.

What you can do which might be helpful, as opposed to complaining to us, is to jot down the tracert data and contact your ISP about it. If you're lucky, some of them will be able to contact the culprit server owners and notify them of the problem.

Since there is nothing we can do here, I'm closing this thread. If someone wishes to discuss it further, please DM me. Do not repost the issue here anymore.

Last edited by Marka; 02-24-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum