Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 03:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Every time I see this thread bumped up I'm going to post the same thing.

My pet peeve is the lack of an ignore thread function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Why do you need a "function" for that? If there's a thread you are not interested in or you have lost interest in, just don't click on it. You can pass over a thread you don't want to look at any more just as you do those threads you can tell from the title you have no interest in.
I agree with Observer53, but I wanted to comment that Maggie2101's repetitive postings take the phrase "pet peeve" to a new level. Why isn't once enough, unless perhaps once was a couple of years ago?

Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Are you sure? There are banned users with no scales. And I'm almost sure a mod said that was the case in a different thread.
Yes, it's true. Some banned members have the scales and some do not. It is not a glitch. It's all in the method used when the poster was banned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Pet peeve.
Topics that get locked for no apparent reason,
A small post from the mod giving a brief explanation would be appreciated..

Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pet peeve.
Topics that get locked for no apparent reason,
A small post from the mod giving a brief explanation would be appreciated..
Reasons are still the same as they were almost four years ago. Please see this thread (that you posted in) and the links Poncho_NM posted in the last post.
Closing Threads

Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Reasons are still the same as they were almost four years ago. Please see this thread (that you posted in) and the links Poncho_NM posted in the last post.
Closing Threads

Yes the reasons may still be the same but nothing seems to have changed regarding giving a small notification post as to why a particular topic has been closed down.
We all know there are dozens and dozens of reasons why a topic might be closed what we dont know is why this particular topic was closed down.
Anyhow its just a peeve in a topic asking for our peeves.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes the reasons may still be the same but nothing seems to have changed regarding giving a small notification post as to why a particular topic has been closed down.
We all know there are dozens and dozens of reasons why a topic might be closed what we dont know is why this particular topic was closed down.
Anyhow its just a peeve in a topic asking for our peeves.
Most likely the mod is shutting down a thread and deleting offensive posts on the fly and doesn't want to/doesn't have extra time to explain a thread closure and/or thinks the reason for the closure is obvious.

I've moderated while standing in line at the grocery store before. We're volunteers.

ETA: I mention this in hopes that it may clarify the situation. You may well find that it's still a peeve of yours anyway, jambo. As is your right. I just know that, sometimes, knowing why things may happen the way they do can make them less annoying to me. So, I thought I'd offer up the insight.

Last edited by RedZin; 09-08-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,377 times
One thing that not necessarily peeves me however I find inconsistent, is I always see people being lectured about not discussing moderator actions on here. However, often times I see moderators discuss their own actions as well as actions of the poster. For example, a poster may say "I was infracted for saying this that and the other, and I feel like the moderator went too far". Then a moderator will say "Well I saw your post and you did this that and the other, and also said that I was being unfair to you but in reality you are wrong". I don't understand why this happens from time to time, however the poster is always reminded to not talk about it?

Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
One thing that not necessarily peeves me however I find inconsistent, is I always see people being lectured about not discussing moderator actions on here. However, often times I see moderators discuss their own actions as well as actions of the poster. For example, a poster may say "I was infracted for saying this that and the other, and I feel like the moderator went too far". Then a moderator will say "Well I saw your post and you did this that and the other, and also said that I was being unfair to you but in reality you are wrong". I don't understand why this happens from time to time, however the poster is always reminded to not talk about it?
Both are inappropriate. If you see such things by a moderator I would advise you to DM Marka and/or Yac with a link to the post. If you report a post in a thread that they do not moderate they may never see the report.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Both are inappropriate. If you see such things by a moderator I would advise you to DM Marka and/or Yac with a link to the post. If you report a post in a thread that they do not moderate they may never see the report.
I have only really seen it on this section. Doesn't really happen often, though I do notice when it does because it stands out as kind of odd. I am all for not discussing moderator specific actions as that will likely only lead to more issues. I get that aspect of it. I do notice some extremely condescending comments and uncalled for attitude from time to time on part of the moderators. I suppose my view of it is more like a lead by example premise of not acting a certain way if you do not expect posters to do the same. Nobody said it is easy and I would not want to take on moderating a forum so I realize I do not speak from the same reality as the moderators, but I do feel like if you are a moderator you are held to a certain standard of social decorum. Honestly, I feel like even by expressing these feelings in an honest and respectful manner, that a mod could possibly see this as disparaging and decide to delete it or infract me for it. It is for this reason that many people tip toe around moderator action/behavior and feel they have to state a qualifier before even saying anything construed as negative. This means it is less likely to be reported. We all realize this is volunteer basis and that it is not easy. Just please play nice.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I have only really seen it on this section.
Well, that explains it. We usually delete the most specific questions and ask people to DM us instead but some insist we explain it in public. You've never seen a moderator volunteering this kind of information, though. About the Forum is the only section where we allow that kind of discussion to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum