Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times

Advertisements

In the food section there is a long thread "What's for dinner" that got it's repping powers reduced to 1 point by all. I think it is unfair to CD posters that come here and stick to that area mostly on a daily basis. Most of us post in our state's threads as well, so we do share knowledge and "spread the love" all over CD.

Let anybody here tell me differently when you sit around a kitchen table talking amongst friends the topic can't go in many different directions and I will say that is untrue! I think for such a large wonderful thread it does stay on topic for the most part~~food. The info gathered can not be replaced nor can the friendships of sharing. This is an informative thread more than it is a chatting thread first and foremost. It would be a boring thread if all posters just put the food items they were having for supper only with no responses. I deem just as worthy when one of the posters tell us what happened to a piece of pie, it's their birthday or they aren't feeling well as important as a poster that shared a wonderful recipe or menu! It is called trying to be friendly and caring to our fellow foodies putting a human touch into this technological world.

Yes maybe 'cheering' a person on that is close to a gold star is against the TOS but where was the warning before the repping power was changed? As far as I know there was none. Besides in the TOS that many of us long ago read and probably forgotten.

This thread is not a repping station as CD once had just for the pure fact of boosting one's rep totals. If reducing this foodie thread's repping powers are kept then I hope all the other threads will go to 1 point per repping as well since all threads can get off topic at times. I know I have said in the past maybe somebody's day is made with a positive rep, I know mine has.

Folks rooting & repping for somebody very close (less than 5 points) to a gold star is what caused this to the whole thread? Do we not in real life root for others when they are close to an achievement? Perhaps do away with the repping altogether only have our post counts showing. Aren't the mods here to remind us when we are about to cross a line? To remove spam yes? To give out warnings yes? To squash posts that are bordering on feuds yes?

I have read all over CD that many coming here is a nice time of their day which it is for me as well. Why reduce a thread in the food area reps when there is so much friendliness, sharing, caring, teaching, learning and rarely any TOS violated? Will it happen in the politics, religion, business, health, state's chat, photography threads etc.?

Reps do make us feel better knowing we have helped another poster out with info shared. I think it is a lovely reward system but let's keep it fair to all please. Please reconsider this thread.

Thank you for reading my take. As well as thank you to all the mods and admin for giving us a place to come together with so many options where we will spend our time.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Jaxson.... This post is perfectly stated. As WHAT'S FOR DINNER has become a fabulous place to find food and friendship in one spot. There are so many hostile forums on CD I have sworn I will no longer enter into. It is so nice to finally find a place where you no longer fear you will be belittled, degraded, judged, attacked, bullied.... for you comments or opinions. You are welcomed with open arms by all the Foodies in WHAT'S FOR DINNER. It is a shame to be so harshly repremanded when other forums which are so cruel and hostile are not. Perhaps the admins should take a fine tooth comb to such forums as the Parenting or Religion Forums before heading to the Foodies! That is where things are harsh! If things should be taken care of- perhaps they should start there.... just a suggestion.... food most definitely isn't the place of dangerous interactions or hostility.....more like kindness and friendly conversation over the dinnertable....

Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Jaxon, Why not send a little DM to Marka or Yac to draw attention to this thread? (They can't see everything all the time)

*wanders off to check out "What's For Dinner?"*

Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
I believe the intent is to encourage members to circulate more. City-Data's a big message board and the folks who make the rep-power decisions want us to enjoy more than isolated pockets of it.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I believe the intent is to encourage members to circulate more. City-Data's a big message board and the folks who make the rep-power decisions want us to enjoy more than isolated pockets of it.
If CD wants to encourage members to ciruclate more I would highly suggest taking a closer look at how a lot of the conversations in many of the other forums are hostile, rude, and unwelcoming. Members venture into What's for Dinner because it is nothing like that. There is never a rude or unkind word or comment made in there. Members return to Whats for Dinner because of this welcoming environment and warm friendly kitchen like feel.... the HEART OF THE HOME of CD.... If CD really wants its members to circulate then much needs to be done to regulate how lax they are in regards to debate and how far they let their members go in terms of personal attacks and harrassment. As far as I have seen, in almost a year... not much has been done. And I have circulated.... but return to the heart of the home..... because that is where I feel welcome.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,746,046 times
skbs, have you reported these personal attacks and harassment (clicking on )? We have 15,000 posts/day and our moderators cannot catch every infraction right away.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
skbs, have you reported these personal attacks and harassment (clicking on )? We have 15,000 posts/day and our moderators cannot catch every infraction right away.
yes... they have been reported.... I have now opted to just stay out of these forums.... as I don't feel like playing defense.....I understand there are many posts/day but there are some very hostile forums and I think some of them are rather obvious after being on this forum for a year. One cannot even go into the Parenting forum for instance and even ask for advice without being attacked for the reason why they want advice... it is really quite sad....I have just decided it isn't worth the trouble of even having to report.... that is why I stick to where I know the people are kind and welcoming.... why would I ciculate where I know I will just be attacked? Just too much trouble....not worth it to me....and there is only so many times I feel like reporting things....

Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Quote:
Such as in life I have many things to choose from but I tend to gravitate to what makes me happy or I can contribute to. I do circulate in other areas and share my knowledge, opinion and information on the subjects. Most people in the deep pools of the waters on CD don't acknowledge your time or sharing by giving out reps no matter how useful.

This thread in question is a very welcoming sharing & caring place to unwind when the ways of the world can beat a person down. What better way to bring all types of people together but through food? Because of that kind of attitude it is reduced down when I can go to the entertainment thread and post who is hot? Then get full reps for saying a person was hot?

Thank you for your reply though I understand what you are saying and agree. I just don't agree with the rep reduction in a postive, informative, sharing and friendly thread.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Quote:
That's is like saying (to make a foodie analogy ):

Okay, here's a buffet (of forums,) but that doesn't mean you get to choose what you eat/participate in. You have to try it all even if it makes you sick.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Thanks for a good post, Jaxson.

If you're going to have rep points at all -- I've seen posts in the past about getting rid of them -- I believe all threads should have the same value.
I don't think it would ever be possible to stop people from repping their friends.

Anyway, whether a post has "value" is so subjective. We often share recipes/cooking techniques with each other in the What's For Dinner thread. If somebody gives a recipe that somebody else finds really helpful, and in fact, even adds it to one of the things they make their family at least once a month, how is that less valuable to their life and to the worth of this forum than a post recommending the best dog groomer in Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum