Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

This is probably an obvious answer that I just can't figure out, but how do you quote another poster so that their handle appears in the quote? When I use the quote function, it puts the selected text in a blue box, but doesn't list the handle of the person who wrote it.

Everyone else seems to have figured it out, I must be the only luddite. Can someone point out the obvious to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
This is probably an obvious answer that I just can't figure out, but how do you quote another poster so that their handle appears in the quote? When I use the quote function, it puts the selected text in a blue box, but doesn't list the handle of the person who wrote it.

Everyone else seems to have figured it out, I must be the only luddite. Can someone point out the obvious to me?
When you use the quote function (the second from the left at the bottom that actually says "Quote"), it should include the name of the poster (like I just did....)

ETA - there would be no "selected text" in this case because by default it selects the entire post....

Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,020 times
If you click the Go Advanced button, you can preview what you posted. This is how I double check how I want my post to look.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When you use the quote function (the second from the left at the bottom that actually says "Quote"), it should include the name of the poster (like I just did....)

ETA - there would be no "selected text" in this case because by default it selects the entire post....
testing.

Oh, I see, I was using the quote button above, between 'upload picture' and 'show/hide' rather than the one in the view pane of a particular post.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
If you click the Go Advanced button, you can preview what you posted. This is how I double check how I want my post to look.
I always comment using the Advanced option, because yes, I do need to see what the comment will look like.

And.....remember, one has 45 min. to edit a comment. It's one extra click, but to me, it's well worth it to achieve a neat & tidy comment. I use that old Preview button a lot

Oops, Sabbytabby, did we go off-topic?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:43 PM

As far as I know you can edit a comment within the alotted timeframe regardless of how you post...?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
As far as I know you can edit a comment within the alotted timeframe regardless of how you post...?

That's a Yes Didn't mean to be inferring that it was tied to using the Advanced option of commenting.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
What about making multiple quotes from the same post?

For example, someone asks 3 independent questions, and I would rather have 3 quote "balloons" with my answers in between them?

I have never managed to figure that out either - I guess you could type in the square-bracket quote and /quote commands, but there has to be a better way.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Do a search - there is at least one thread that explains this (although, frankly, I've never been able to do it either)....

Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What about making multiple quotes from the same post?

For example, someone asks 3 independent questions, and I would rather have 3 quote "balloons" with my answers in between them?

I have never managed to figure that out either - I guess you could type in the square-bracket quote and /quote commands, but there has to be a better way.
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. That one took me about three years to master, and I still hardly ever use it.

As you go through the thread, take note of the posts you want to quote. In the lower right-hand corner of each post, you'll see three icons. One is a blue oval with the word "quote" in it. The second is a weird little icon with a large black close-quote symbol and a plus sign. The third looks like a little square with a pencil or feather pen (I can't decide which) on it.

The one you want is the middle one, the box with the black close-quote symbol. As you go through the thread, each time you find a post you want to quote, click on that middle button. You should see the quote marks turn red as you go.

Once you've identified all the posts you want to quote, click on the button at the lower left-hand corner of the thread that is titled "Post Reply." This is important! If you just start typing in the reply box at the bottom and try to use the "post quick reply" function, your multi-quotes won't work for you.

When you click on the "Post Reply" button, you'll see a new reply window with all of the posts you chose quoted in full. Make your reply to that and post your comment, and all those posts you selected will be quoted in your comment.

Just as a personal comment, I think the most effective use of this function is when the user goes through and deletes extraneous verbiage in the quoted posts that doesn't relate to the point to which they wish to reply. But that's my old fuddy-duddy nature speaking, and really neither here nor there.

Have fun multi-quoting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum