Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:04 PM

158 posts, read 814,617 times

Advertisements

Well, once threads start getting pulled without any warnings or notice, I'm done with a messageboard. It's always nice to see myself lose 20 posts without any warning.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
Well, once threads start getting pulled without any warnings or notice, I'm done with a messageboard. It's always nice to see myself lose 20 posts without any warning.
See? There is a God. I'm sure that many of us have experienced having a thread pulled, no need to come unraveled. (ba-dump-bum)

Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM

246 posts, read 329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
Was it 20 threads already? It went that far and not one obscenity. Must be a new record.

Magpies

Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Hhhhmmm, I'm assuming the "ID" in schools thread is what disappeared. I had a feeling that was going to happen.

Are you leaving this board? Too bad, you are obviously an intelligent person with much to add here. Don't make any quick decisions.

Is there a message board in existence where discourse and disagreement is expected? That may be the way to go. Most boards I have seen like to keep things non-controversial so when topics get heated off they go!

Old 08-05-2006, 02:05 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Darn it...I didn't have a chance to get back online until just now and wanted to check that thread. Although I suspected an impending train wreck...Wasn't hard to see it coming.
So, who won?
In defense of the moderators, I can understand keeping very heated & controversial topics off the board. It's a board for sharing information about parts of the US, not free for all discussions about whatever - I'm assuming they'd censor "adult" topics and they already delete spam; I'm glad for both. There are many forums where one can intelligently (or not haha) discuss religion and politics. NYT forums, for one.
I own a high volume (dog care/nutrition/training - 1500 members and 100-200 messages a day) yahoogroup. People often go OT and that's fine, but I don't allow religion, politics or overly-raunchy stuff. Keeps things harmonious and there's several thousand yahoogroups for all that.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
First of the forum rules :

All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved.

I know that there is "other topics" forum and at first I didn't removed it but after few insulting and somehow impolte posts I had to remove it.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Moderator - how about making it more specific, like "no discussions on the merits of religion & politics." "No flaming"...whatever.
As written, the forum rules are awfully vague, and quite a few discussions completely unrelated to locales have gone on - both in the "Other Topics" forum and elsewhere.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
I don't think it is necessary to change the rules. The first rule about locales was made to avoid discussion about politics, religion and other topics that nearly always end in the quarrel.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:43 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,612 times
enviroman, we'd be sorry to see you go. Intelligent Design in schools is obviously a very controversial topic and I hope you can understand that the moderators do not want to deal with it, especially since it's off-topic to the main purpose of this message board. In the future, we will most likely close similar threads once they become flame wars instead of just deleting them.

I've added a new line to the forum rules:
"Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants."

Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator

I've added a new line to the forum rules:
"Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants."
More often than not discussions on politics and religion do get way out of control,always someone in the group being nasty. I did not see this thread but have seen on other sites people writing stuff that is really uncalled for on different issues,just to anger other readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum