Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 AM

393 posts, read 600,216 times

Advertisements

National Apology for Forced Adoptions | Prime Minister of Australia

Quote:
Today, this Parliament, on behalf of the Australian people, takes responsibility and apologises for the policies and practices that forced the separation of mothers from their babies, which created a lifelong legacy of pain and suffering.

Australia convened a Senate Inquiry into the adoption practices during the era (known in the USA as the BSE (approx 1947-1973)). I read some of the submitted testimonies. Many of the religious entities have already publicly apologised in Australia and individual states have as well. Many of the same practices also happened in the US, Canada, Ireland, UK, Spain, New Zealand, etc, but in Australia they have admitted it happened and the harm it caused many.

I hope people will take the time to read the apology. Recognition of a wrong done is healing to some and I hope it helps those in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,195,170 times
I'm so glad to see the apology is as all-encompassing as it is. I hope in time the recognition helps heal those impacted by adoption & that other countries follow suit recognizing the harm that has been done.

Quote:
For decades, young mothers grew old haunted by loss. Silently grieving in our suburbs and towns. And somewhere, perhaps even close by, their children grew up denied the bond that was their birth-right.
Instead they lived with self-doubt and an uncertain identity. The feeling, as one child of forced adoption put it, ‘that part of me is missing’

Some suffered sexual abuse at the hands of their adoptive parents or in state institutions...

For so many children of forced adoption, the scars remain in adult life.

Many others identified the paralysing effect of self-doubt and a fear of abandonment: It has held me back, stopped me growing and ensured that I have lived a life frozen

I heard similar stories of disconnection and loss from Leigh Hubbard and Paul Howes today.

The challenges of reconnecting with family. The struggles with self-identity and self-esteem. The difficulties with accessing records. Challenges that even the highest levels of professional success have not been able to assuage or heal.
It means a lot to see these realities finally validated & publicly acknowledged for adoptees. Hopefully society will not continue to marginalize any of our experiences & such apologies will help reduce prejudice for those who do speak out.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 03-21-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption