Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times

Advertisements

My children are adopting a group of young siblings that they have fostered for over 2 years. Now, as everything in the courts is finishing up and parental rights terminated, the youngest sibling may be pulled out of the group and given back to the birth parents.

Have you ever heard of such a thing? The birth parents have lost parental rights to all of their previous children, and there are many, but all of a sudden they can care for the youngest one? Not to mention the emotional trauma of all the children, losing a sibling they've been with since birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 AM

41 posts, read 52,227 times
I'm not sure where your children live, but in British Columbia the parents will go through the justice system where the children come into ministry care through a 72 hour care agreement when they think there is cause for alarm, If the judge deems a need, the children's worker need to search out family/ and or first nation community to care for the child/children. Their file becomes a 3 month temporaily care agreement. This gives the parents a chance to "get it right" to get their children back. If the 3 month goes by and circumstances haven't changed the children's ministry can apply to the courts to apply for a C.C.O. {continuing custody order} These cases can last years as the parents may attend re-hab, another child may be born, social worker hasn't done their due-dilligience, judge may postpone court case, lawyer change.

My husband and I have been foster parents for 14 years and fostered over 100 children including 6 newborns straight from the hospital. We have applied for the adoption of 3 of our children over the years. We haven't been successful yet! The little boy we have applied for the adoption for; his social worker who has only worked with him since his CCO went through{5 months ago} has decided that we need to go through the exceptions committee because he has a brother 8 years older than him, not wanting to be adopted, but stalls our application, and the ministry has asked us to adopt him as well. These brothers have always lived in different homes and we hardly know him.
But because he is a blood relative, and we understand this, we have had to build a relationship plan into the adoption plan and the older teenage boy refuses to attend any planning meetings. The father has had 2 more children since our little boy was born.
Sometimes situations in families change; like, parents clean themselves up. mom has baby with different{ this time not violent} partner, mom has more support in place, but either way all siblings need to be considered into an adoption plan. Good luck and lots of patience, kids are worth it!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,028 times
It sucks, but it does happen. I have a crackhead cousin who has four children. She lost custody of the first two, but was able to get the younger two back even though her last baby was born addicted. Good ole' CPS for you. Nothing they do has any rhyme or reason to it. I really hope things work out for your family, the last thing that poor child needs is to go back to parents whose only interest is in how much SSI they can get for him.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My children are adopting a group of young siblings that they have fostered for over 2 years. Now, as everything in the courts is finishing up and parental rights terminated, the youngest sibling may be pulled out of the group and given back to the birth parents.

Have you ever heard of such a thing? The birth parents have lost parental rights to all of their previous children, and there are many, but all of a sudden they can care for the youngest one? Not to mention the emotional trauma of all the children, losing a sibling they've been with since birth.

This is tragic. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

I can not understand why the needs of unfit parents, as deemed more important than anyone the rights of anyone else in this equation.

What about the rights of the children that the bios DON'T want back? How about the people who parented them for the past two years? Your children. What about your rights as a grandparent?

This is almost unbelievable - yet I believe it. Totally.

I'd consult a good family law attorney in your state and FIGHT! This is complete BS!

People wonder why parents are afraid to adopt from foster care? Or why many of us have chosen international adoption?

Things such as this. UN believable!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Thanks, my son just hired an attorney, but after today's hearing even he thinks the chance of preventing the baby from going to the birth parents is slim. The same judge gave the baby to my kids when it was days old, in order to keep the siblings together. We're all sick about it, praying that the judge changes his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption