Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times

Advertisements

As DH, DS, and I are planning to travel to Russia in July of 2017. See other post - international adoptee / family group travel to Russia with an organization called Ties, DS and I thought, gosh, if we are there already, why not see if we can get some information about birth parents/relatives. And maybe we can even meet them if they can be found, logistics work out, and they have any interest in meeting us. We'd have a translator with us, as only DH has studied Russian and even with several semesters in college, he's not fluent (His grammar and accent are impressive, though, and the Russians we met before loved him for that and loved talking to him). DS's birth parents are reported to have had three other children when he was born, so maybe there would even be the chance to meet birth siblings.

We'd like to work with a searcher on this. Do you have any recommendations of someone who would be good to work with and any information about typical costs? Our son was adopted from a St. Petersburg orphanage and his birth parents lived in St. Petersburg at that time (that goes back to 1995). I'd love recommendations and I'd love to hear about any experiences you have had if you worked with a searcher on a Russian birth parent search. Please note that we are fully prepared and OK with not finding them, but thought why not try especially since we are doing what may be a once in a lifetime trip due to distance and expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
Hello, we adopted our daughter from Russia in 2006 and hired a searcher who found her mother in 2008. We exchanged a letter and sent a photo. The searcher did a video interview of her mom and half-brother (baby). Recently, my daughter, now 15, has expressed an interest in corresponding with her Russian mom but the address is no longer good. We previously used Mary Kirkpatrick from Russian Family Search but that organization is no longer in operation. I recently sent an email to another organization advertising that they conduct searches but never heard back from them. I recently went as far to email Putin's office but no reply. If you find out anything regarding your journey, could you please share with me?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:32 PM

64 posts, read 55,870 times
Just recently I came across a WP story about a Russian adoptee that got a Fulbright scholarship to go to Russia. It is my understanding that she is involved with familyseek.org - a free site offering volunteer help in locating birth families. Might be worth a try before you go with a paid investigative service - after all, even some background info and a quick search on Russian social media sites might bring quick results.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:47 AM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
Default Follow-up

This is a pretty old post and I ended up using this search company (see link below). I was really happy working with them and they did a great job on our search. My son's birth mom was deceased, but they found dad and two birth brothers.

International Adoption Search Birth Families : Contact Us

Now that travel to Russia seemed a bit overwhelming, and we haven't done that yet. Decided not to do Ties. Am still researching with lots of paperwork to do, etc. but thinking of maybe a private trip with folks from search company above. Want to get references, etc. first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption