Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Always wanted to see this country.

Indian, African, French, some Chinese, etc. All kinds of mixes.

Anyone been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
One of the few African countries I've considered visiting. But who am I kidding, I've never been outside the US at all. Still I'd also be open to hearing more from those who have been there.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
A tropical island paradise off the coast of Madagascar I think. Where the Dodo used to live as well. Unless prices go down it will always receive a lot less visitors than other popular spots.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Unless prices go down it will always receive a lot less visitors than other popular spots.
That's one of the things that's always majorly deterred me from even considering going.

Not only is it extremely far from just about everyone (except Africa and India)...it's also extremely expensive once you're there.

Not the best combination.

Looking more deeper into the stats, 50% of Mauritius is Indian. Wonder if that shifts things into being much conservative.

Certainly would be interesting to see what happens when you put a bunch of French people, African people, and India people, and to see what kind of society/culture permeates...especially with half being Indian ethnicity.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's one of the things that's always majorly deterred me from even considering going.

Not only is it extremely far from just about everyone (except Africa and India)...it's also extremely expensive once you're there.

Looking more deeper into the stats, 50% of Mauritius is Indian. Wonder if that shifts things into being much conservative.

Certainly would be interesting to see what happens when you put a bunch of French people, African people, and India people, and to see what kind of society/culture permeates...especially with half being Indian ethnicity.
Sounds very similar mix to Trinidad in the Caribbean. Even down to the ethnicity of the whites;Trinidadian whites are also mainly of French descent.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:

Fiji is 50% Indian as well. Dunno if you've been, but especially living in Japan it's a more feasible, cheaper and probably more enjoyable destination. As far as tropical islands go, most are fairly similar.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A tropical island paradise off the coast of Madagascar I think. Where the Dodo used to live as well. Unless prices go down it will always receive a lot less visitors than other popular spots.
Paradise is very subjective. Some very pricey tourist hotels and villas with mostly rich French. Capital Port Louis nothing very special although not bad. Expensive some of the locals not exactly friendly. Indian folk dominate by far.
I'd say ok for a week but there are more interesting places...but a week there may be too short to critique too harshly.......

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Sounds very similar mix to Trinidad in the Caribbean. Even down to the ethnicity of the whites;Trinidadian whites are also mainly of French descent.
I'm surprised that you say the whites are mainly of French decent. As Trinidad and Tobago was a former British colony and a member of the Commonwealth I would find that hard to believe.

Martinique is French speaking though........

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Creole speaking French language with ethnic groups staying within their own race. Didn't notice many white French living there though. Port Louis is nearly all Indian and a lesser number of African folk at street level ..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I'm surprised that you say the whites are mainly of French decent. As Trinidad and Tobago was a former British colony and a member of the Commonwealth I would find that hard to believe.

Martinique is French speaking though........
Many Caribbean islands changed European hands often.
Trinidad was owned by Spain for 300 years and they invited their French fellow Catholic friends to settle the island. Brits owned the island after Spain for less than 200 years. The official lang is English as that was the last European country to own the island but in terms of European heritage the island owes more to the French settlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa