Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

Just spent a second months holiday in Sa did 3500 kilometres and stayed in a dozen different places inc cape town an Jo'burg and ate out and had a drink every night even walking home quite a few times! Not a victim of crime or even felt threatened. All this talk of crime for the average person is just hysterical hyperbole most of the crime as I understand, and very sadly, is generally in the township areas.
Be sensible and keep your wits about you , like you would in any strange city and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM

157 posts, read 192,132 times
When it comes to African, anything that happens to be negative is going to be amplified in the western world.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 12,686 times
I spent a month in South Africa between Cape Town, Johannesberg and Ghansbaai and I had a great time and never felt threatened at all

Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
Are there still white people in S Africa or have most of them fled (or plan to flee) like in "Zimbabwe"? or better said : has the white flight which started with the end of apartheid in 1990 stopped ? what's the proportion of nonblacks (mixed race, of Indian or chinese descent , etc) in the total population of S Africa?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM

277 posts, read 380,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinharbidge2012 View Post
Just spent a second months holiday in Sa did 3500 kilometres and stayed in a dozen different places inc cape town an Jo'burg and ate out and had a drink every night even walking home quite a few times! Not a victim of crime or even felt threatened. All this talk of crime for the average person is just hysterical hyperbole most of the crime as I understand, and very sadly, is generally in the township areas.
Be sensible and keep your wits about you , like you would in any strange city and you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellosean View Post
I spent a month in South Africa between Cape Town, Johannesberg and Ghansbaai and I had a great time and never felt threatened at all
The problem is we all feel that way until something happens. The truth is like all places you're going to have good and bad places or perhaps it'll just end up being wrong place, wrong time.

Out of curiosity what is the external view of visiting South Africa? Is the stereotype that you're going to get hit by crime the moment you walk outside? (serious question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Are there still white people in S Africa or have most of them fled (or plan to flee) like in "Zimbabwe"? or better said : has the white flight which started with the end of apartheid in 1990 stopped ? what's the proportion of nonblacks (mixed race, of Indian or chinese descent , etc) in the total population of S Africa?
Well according to these 2 sites:

South Africa's population
Demographics of South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African 41 000 938 79.2%
White 4 586 838 8.9%
Coloured 4 615 401 8.9%
Indian/Asian 1 286 930 2.5%
Other 280 454 0.5%
TOTAL 51 770 560 100%

When it comes to whites leaving South Africa. It's more a case of any sensible person is looking to have some kind of backup plan. Things aren't exactly going to well when it comes to corruption and the latest state of our power grid >.< But State of the Nation address is tomorrow so let's see if spin doctor Zuma will acknowledge any of these faults or if he'll put his head in the sand again.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
This might not be PC to ask,but will a dark skinned African American descended from slaves person be more or less safer than a white tourist in South Africa?

In other words,is a white person more likely to be targeted,or is a black tourist more likely to be targeted?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This might not be PC to ask,but will a dark skinned African American descended from slaves person be more or less safer than a white tourist in South Africa?

In other words,is a white person more likely to be targeted,or is a black tourist more likely to be targeted?
A tourist is a tourist. The reason they get targeted is because like some have said, you need to have some common sense. Things like don't have valuables out in the open when stopped at a traffic light or avoid the more dangerous areas etc.

Although I'm not sure why you needed to add the whole bold part >.<

Old 02-16-2015, 03:34 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
A tourist is a tourist. The reason they get targeted is because like some have said, you need to have some common sense. Things like don't have valuables out in the open when stopped at a traffic light or avoid the more dangerous areas etc.

Although I'm not sure why you needed to add the whole bold part >.<
Well,because one would think a black person would blend in with the locals,so to speak.

Also,someone mentioned black on black crime happens at a much larger rate than black on white crime.

You get where i am going with this?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,because one would think a black person would blend in with the locals,so to speak.

Also,someone mentioned black on black crime happens at a much larger rate than black on white crime.

You get where i am going with this?
Unfortunately this is something I've tried to iterate in other threads but African Americans don't blend in. We live in a diverse and multicultural society where there are a ton of different tribes throughout South Africa let alone the rest of Africa. So as an example you can see the difference between between people from Zimbabwe, people from Mozambique, people from further North, even a Xhosa and a Zulu person. So African Americans can still easily be distinguished.

When it comes to crime, you might get a tiny percentage that could be targeted at a particular race (some farm killings etc.) but the most part crime is crime and everyone is affected one way or another.

The black on black crime lately has been with regards to Xenophobia attacks in the townships. Basically the locals there are getting annoyed that some of the foreigners have set up shop and are taking their business. Apparently a lot of the foreigners have also brought a lot of drugs into the townships which they aren't happy with. Add that all together and you then get a bunch of opportunists who riot in order to loot stores and claim all the above. Unfortunately I'm a bit ignorant if it's the real reason though

Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
But in reality, I think Cape Town is VERY unsafe?

https://www.google.co.kr/?gfe_rd=cr&...ndow=1&tbm=nws

or google "cape town killed" or "cape town murder/crime," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa