Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,157 times

Advertisements

What do you think Angola's rise means for the country, the region, and Africa in general? Do you believe in it's growth?

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Who's benefiting from their oil?

African Oil: Where's The Money Going? - YouTube

Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times
Obviously, President Dos Santos and his cronies are eating up way too much of the country's wealth. However, let's face the facts. Do Santos has been in power since 1979. He is now 70, according to wikipedia. He will not be around forever. So whenever he meets his maker, most likely through natural causes, the country will inherit enormous potential. Too much of the wealth has been stolen, but the foundations have been laid down for a brighter future. The infrastructure is starting to be developed along with the industries needed to develop into a more modern economy. So while I do not see the average Angolan getting more than a few more crumbs while Dos Santos is still alive, change may indeed occur following his passing. Whether or not a new regime would take advantage of these opportunities or follows in Dos Santos' footsteps is almost impossible to predict. We will just have to wait and see. However, the potential is there but the decision will ultimately be made by those in Angola's future political elite.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
I think Angola is doing a better job at improving the quality of life of everyday citizens compared to most other African nations who have acquired oil wealth. The government started to develop a pretty massive housing development on the outskirts of Luanda not too long ago. It is aimed at lower, working and middle class Angolan citizens and it's purpose is to create proper housing for them as opposed to unhealthy slums.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure there is a lot of corruption going on (as with every government) but it is nice to see effort put into something like this. I think the above video would've been more accurate if they mentioned this project as opposed to not mentioning it.

It's called Projecto de Habitação Social do Kilamba Kiaxi:

SOURCE: Luanda | Projecto de Habitação Social do Kilamba Kiaxi - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

This is what it should look like when it's done:
http://www.travel.citic.com.cn/iwcm/...2008-07-10.jpg

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 01-04-2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM

69 posts, read 136,748 times
Aren't a lot of those buildings empty?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
I don't know the status of it. I know a lot of units are still under construction.

The point is that at least there is a some kind of effort being made to provide sanitary housing for everyday citizens.

I'm sure there could be more effort into this but it's more than a lot of other oil wealth countries have recieved.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Good video, like the guy said the massive wealth isn't filtering down to the average person. If most are living on under 2 dollars a day, things have a long way to go. I read they were increasing social spending 30 percent this year, education, health and so on were to increase 10 percent. There remains a high number unemployed and those living in poverty. And the rich get richer, that's an old tune. I hope it gets better for the average Angolan.

I'd like to see those buildings when they are done. Someone making less than 2 bucks a day won't be living there, I doubt. While this video below is a bit dated, makes me wonder how many kids are still living like this. Really sad. Interesting to read the comments on the video as well.

America's New Frontier - Angola - YouTube

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think Angola still has a long way to go for the average citizen to get a good quality of life.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Angola isn't as atrocious as say Nigeria in squandering oil wealth or corruption but they're not far off. I read Dos Santos, a Marxist is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. His daughter $150M.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I think Angola is doing a better job at improving the quality of life of everyday citizens compared to most other African nations who have acquired oil wealth. The government started to develop a pretty massive housing development on the outskirts of Luanda not too long ago. It is aimed at lower, working and middle class Angolan citizens and it's purpose is to create proper housing for them as opposed to unhealthy slums.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure there is a lot of corruption going on (as with every government) but it is nice to see effort put into something like this. I think the above video would've been more accurate if they mentioned this project as opposed to not mentioning it.

It's called Projecto de Habitação Social do Kilamba Kiaxi:

SOURCE: Luanda | Projecto de Habitação Social do Kilamba Kiaxi - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

This is what it should look like when it's done:
http://www.travel.citic.com.cn/iwcm/...2008-07-10.jpg
Wow. Some large buildings. Brand news.

Angola might be doing better compared to other nations in being concerned about the needs of the people. However, it still has alot of work to do.

One question I have is this. What is the price per apartment? Will people be able to afford them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa