Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Good interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtDLBGGQeQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Be sure to check out the comments section on youtube.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Mostly right on.

He mentioned Tichitt and the Nok..also the Djenne-Djenno is one of the most ancient urbanized areas of west Africa. It could also be mentioned that the peopling of the Sahel and forest regions took place very gradually from the Lake Chad area, so there is a massive potential for archeology there. Little is known about the Sao civilization and its precursors.

He might be correct about literacy coming with Arabs, although is should be noted that there were ideographic writing systems such as Nsibidi, Adrinka and others, and I have seen it claimed that there was limited use of Tifinagh.

Academia could start to repair Africa's past immediately and cheaply. Everyone who takes an African history class has read the Epic of Sundiata, which, until relatively recently was part of the oral tradition of the griots. The other great stories of the griots could also be put to paper. There is real potential for someone to be West Africa's Livy, if they cared to do so.

Also, there are massive numbers of ancient books in libraries in Timbuktu, Gao, Djenne. A lot of those books concern Islam, but a number would be histories written in Ajami. I believe people are translating them now, but more work could be done.

A good piece on Djenne-Djenno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9LkpJdll9A

Last edited by cachibatches; 09-06-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

He might be correct about literacy coming with Arabs, although is should be noted that there were ideographic writing systems such as Nsibidi, Adrinka and others, and I have seen it claimed that there was limited use of Tifinagh.
I'm thinking that one of the reasons for there being less known about many parts of pre-colonial sub-saharan Africa is because many people didn't develop their own writing that would allow them to record events in their history as it was happening. Then historians could later use these writings as records. Also it doesn't seem like there were many structures that were built by west,central and southern Africans that would help to add to the presence of their civilizations. Great Zimbabwe is one of the few structures left like this.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 PM

A profile on the ruins of Great Zimbabwe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0-cCggHbQ

Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm thinking that one of the reasons for there being less known about many parts of pre-colonial sub-saharan Africa is because many people didn't develop their own writing that would allow them to record events in their history as it was happening. Then historians could later use these writings as records. Also it doesn't seem like there were many structures that were built by west,central and southern Africans that would help to add to the presence of their civilizations. Great Zimbabwe is one of the few structures left like this.

But a lot of the information might still be there in the oral tradition, which is why I wish that someone was interesting in recording it.

I have heard it said that Nsibidi could record fairly complex ideas, although I suppose there just aren't a lot of records to study.

New structures are being discovered all of the time. There are some stone ruins at Loropeni, parts of the walls of Benin still stand, the massive moat of Sungbo's Eredu, I believe there are some stone ruins in Cameroon, etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 PM

I think it's good to see some knowledgeable open minded Europeans trying to clear up Africa's history. But ultimately it's gonna require that African historians and archaeologist start putting together the facts of their own history and then presenting it to the world through books and lectures etc. Whose telling us European history? European historians are.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
I think it's good to see some knowledgeable open minded Europeans trying to clear up Africa's history. But ultimately it's gonna require that African historians and archaeologist start putting together the facts of their own history and then presenting it to the world through books and lectures etc. Whose telling us European history? European historians are.
You make such a great point. Africans shouldn't be solely relying on European scholars to tell their history.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:

Great post great thread. Thanks for the video!

Old 03-27-2019, 04:29 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times
The archeology of many precolonial cities was similar to early Mesopotamian settlements. The ruins of Old Kano City in Nigeria are a good example:

Then there was the more advanced architecture of the Ashanti capital Kumasi:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa